Getting hold of Euro coins (1 Viewer)

Jun 12, 2018
Funster No
I am currently planning my latest trip which will be in southern Germany. Heading from Calais to Remagen and hope to complete the Remagen to Trier route, The romantic Rhine route from Koblenz to Mainz before travelling the Romantic Road and the Alpinestrasse.
This is our first tour in Germany and I keep hearing that the Stellaplatzs need coins instead of cards. Is this correct? If so I want to try and get some in advance. Is there anyway I can do this? I I order Euros via post I will get notes. Can I take Euros to the Bureau de Change can I get coins there?

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
I never used any when we were there. We managed on cards virtually everywhere.

Sep 7, 2017
Funster No
Its a bit of both. You can often pay the fee to park with a card at a machine, but not always. Things like electric and water are often coin fed. It’s always worth checking the various electric points to see how much is left on them before you plug into one. We have often not needed to put any more in.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Most Stellaplatz takes card we had a few on our last trip that only took coins also nearly all the Bourns only take coins.

Easy enough to get a stash of coins I just hand over a note when I buy the bread for breakfast soon get a pot full.

Last edited:

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
A lot of Stellplatz in Germany use the Parkster app, it’s very good, each aire will have a unique number and put it in the app along with your details (you do have to register and put a card against it for paying the bill at a later date) and voila you’re paid for. You can even change the departure days on the app, it really is a great app, it will then bill your card a few week later, we love it👍👍

Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Few years now
Just go to a bank and change some notes.
Last year in Germany we changed €50 in one if the Tourist info offices.

May 15, 2022
Bavaria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P969D
Exp
Since 2012
We found 20 cent pieces really useful for water. Spend a couple of your notes in a bakers and you’ll start collecting change. Germany is less card-oriented than France, in my experience.
It is changing though, since the pandemic many more shops and services take cards, the minimum spend of €5 has disappeared, you will still need coins but cards are widely accepted now.
Have fun.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back