Germany to lake garda (1 Viewer)

Feb 27, 2022
Banbridge, UK
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg carabus
Exp
Since 2021
My wife and I hope to visit Zugspitze Germany in May or June in our camper van, which is 3.2 mts high to the top of the skylight. My wife has always wanted to visit Lake Garda and as we are going to be reasonably close. My question is what is the recommended route and does being over the 3mt high mark, make much of a difference to our choices?
What happens at tunnels or tolls if you are over the 3 mt high mark?

Bobby-gg

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2020
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Ducato IH pvc
Exp
Since 2010
I can't offer any help with your height question as I'm only 2.4M high, but this is the route we've just done, and in Riva del Garda there's a fantastic Motorhome stop over within walking distance of the town, it's priced at €1 per hour, with a maximum stop over 48 hours and found it superb for the town
Screenshot_20240426_100402_com.simplemobiletools.gallery.pro_1.jpg

OP
OP
Wjklewis
Feb 27, 2022
Banbridge, UK
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg carabus
Exp
Since 2021
Thanks for the info guys, sorry just a couple more questions.

Bobby does your route use tunnels, are there any? are the roads ok, ie very steep?

Bobby-gg

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2020
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Ducato IH pvc
Exp
Since 2010
Thanks for the info guys, sorry just a couple more questions.

Bobby does your route use tunnels, are there any? are the roads ok, ie very steep?
Yes, plenty of tunnels but when I noticed any height limits, they were 4M and artic's use the roads fine

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
As you mention tolls, I assume you're planning on using the motorways rather than the smaller roads. If so, the main thing you need to decide is whether you're going to go via Austria or Switzerland - and the thing that will decide the cost is your weight rather than your height.

If you're 3.5t then Austria is cheaper: you can buy a car vignette at the border 1 day, 10 day, 2 months options are available which keeps the cost down, Switzerland only has the yearly option for their vignette which makes it more expensive.

If you're over 3.5t then Switzerland is easier as you can use the 10 individual days option available on the VIA App. Going via Austria is a little more complicated (but not necessarily more expensive if you're just transiting through) because you'd need to register for a GO Box.

OP
OP
Wjklewis
Feb 27, 2022
Banbridge, UK
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg carabus
Exp
Since 2021
Hi Dangermousy, i only mention tolls because i thought they were the only option. Happy to use normal roads if thats possible. Have you recommendations. Sorry I am fairly new to this.

May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
Hi Dangermousy, i only mention tolls because i thought they were the only option. Happy to use normal roads if thats possible. Have you recommendations. Sorry I am fairly new to this.
We tend to use the motorways: we have limited time and the motorways tend to be quicker, plus hubby doesn't fancy the mountain passes. Also the major Alps tunnels also tend to be on the motorways so we'd have to do the admin side anyway (eg. vignette), and if we've done that then we might as well go the quicker/easier route.

I would suggest putting your route into Google maps and then using Streetview to take a closer look at it to see what the roads are like, and whether you'd be happy driving them. As I said before, your height isn't going to be an issue.....most tunnels are built for HGVs, and outside of France the main criteria for road charges tends to be weight and emissions class.

OP
OP
Wjklewis
Feb 27, 2022
Banbridge, UK
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg carabus
Exp
Since 2021
Thank you for the info. Just one more question. I registered for the ASFINAG app. Created an account. When you buy a vignette, does that pay for the motorway or do i have to pay something in addition, or are charges collected automatically? Again thank you so much for your help.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 15, 2022
Bavaria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P969D
Exp
Since 2012
In Austria your(up to 3500kg) Vignette pays for the Autobahn but there are extra tolls, you need to look at the Asfignag site to see where they are.....if you are entering Austria via Munich then the extra will be the Brenner toll, you can purchase online if you wish...
A toll box valid for italy would be good but not neccessary, it is a Ticket on entry and pay on exit Autostrada, about 20€ down to the Affi exit ( for Lasize ).
Recommended site is Camping Municipale in Lasize....
Austrian Diesel is cheaper, top up before you get into Italy....we use Niedendorf and/or Brenner ( outlet not Autostrada).
If you want something different, head for Lago de Caldanazo near Trento on the way down or back...

If you come down past Munich, there is a Stellplatz at the Therme in Bad Aibling, I havent stayed there but it always has a few MHs in ( I live 10 mins from there so no need to stay ).

Happy Travels

Nov 27, 2016
Notts
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
Keep to the East of Lake Garda. The road to the west is full of narrow tunnels and you end up folding in your mirrors so not to loose them.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back