LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
Underslung 25litre cylinder type Gas-It with in cab 9 LED Gas-It level display, All factory fitted by Autotrail.

The gauge is way way out. With 2 LEDs lit, expecting to be nearly empty, I could just squeeze in a tad over 8 litres of LPG. I know the tanks can only be filled to 80% capacity, but that is way out. Thinking about it, I've never been able to get much in. Only conclusion the gauge is reading wrong.

Are gas gauges a useless toy, or is there something wrong that I, or someone else should be adjusting? Is it possible the tank has been poorly mounted?
IMG_2751[1].JPG
IMG_2752[1].JPG

Oh and before someone says it, the water tank drain hoses aren't supported.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
I can't really answer your question, except to say the Gas-it guage on my refillable cylinder is also not very accurate.

So when it shows almost empty, you can still only get about half the gas in you'd expect when refilling.

Mark and Mindy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2017
Nr Bicester
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2019
When we had our underslung gas tank installed by Autogas 2000 Thirsk they have an example gas tank in their reception which has been sliced in half so that you can see the insides.

It was interesting to see that the gas level float is is just a piece of wood or plastic that pivots up and down inside the tank and as the tanks don't have much height and the float needs to be set in the centre it doesn't really come into play until the tank is down to about half full.

Also for the float to give an accurate reading the tank would need to be level and to ensure that the contents are not still sloshing about as our gauge always shows that the tank is full when we are driving around and the liquid gas is moving around in the tank.

If get down under our van and I take off the cover which is attached to our tank then there is a rotary needle gauge and I think this may work off gas pressure.

Mark

OP
OP
Kannon Fodda

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
When you say level, the tank (cylinder) is fitted across the van underside - ends are side on - rather than longitudal. The filling station had roughly level ground, when I looked at the LEDs before and after the fill.

So is it actually rotation of the cylinder that might be wrong i.e. I need it to be turned clockwise, or anticlockwise, within it's current mounting straps - and if so which way?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
It takes the reading from a float magnet in the tank, if you think about the shape of the tank, it’s never going to be very accurate. I only think about topping up when it has one led lit and even then in no rush!

Mark and Mindy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2017
Nr Bicester
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2019
When you say level, the tank (cylinder) is fitted across the van underside - ends are side on - rather than longitudal. The filling station had roughly level ground, when I looked at the LEDs before and after the fill.

So is it actually rotation of the cylinder that might be wrong i.e. I need it to be turned clockwise, or anticlockwise, within it's current mounting straps - and if so which way?

Our underslung gas tank is across the rear of the van. Our tank is physically secured and there is no chance it could be rotated. There is a removeable panel on the side of the tank (rear of the van) which gives access to the gas isolation valve and the needle gauge.

We don't have any problems getting the gas tank level to get a level indication because we have hydraulic levellers :giggle:

Mark

OP
OP
Kannon Fodda

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
Just trawled through a shed load of you tube rubbish, as the Gas-It site was stunningly lacking in installation info.

Apparently the underslung cylinder will be set at a rotational angle of 105 degrees. i.e looking end on to the cylinder, in it's brackets, the valves on the side would point slightly downwards somewhere between 20 and 25 past the hour on a clock (or if looking from the opposite end 35-40 minutes past the hour).

Tomorrows's challenge is to get under the van and see if I can measure that angle.

We don't have any problems getting the gas tank level to get a level indication because we have hydraulic levellers :giggle:

Mark
That's cheating :smiley:

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
We’ve never had a problem with ours. It reads as we would expect it from our gas usage.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Just trawled through a shed load of you tube rubbish, as the Gas-It site was stunningly lacking in installation info.

Apparently the underslung cylinder will be set at a rotational angle of 105 degrees. i.e looking end on to the cylinder, in it's brackets, the valves on the side would point slightly downwards somewhere between 20 and 25 past the hour on a clock (or if looking from the opposite end 35-40 minutes past the hour).

Tomorrows's challenge is to get under the van and see if I can measure that angle.

That's cheating :smiley:

Looks about right from your photo.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back