Full Timing, how did it all work out? (1 Viewer)

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
What happened to all those brave full timers. A few years ago on this and other forums it was so popular. Retire sell the family home, purchase a gin palace using the equity and sail off into the sunset.
So how did it all work out, are you still traveling as free as a bird or back in the UK.
A good idea, maybe if you don’t burn your bridges but if you did, so how are you managing ten years on.

Oct 24, 2007
Funster No
We might be one of those you are on about .
We did ten years full timing with two kids in 2000 in an old RV ,selling up after three years and buying an "Aldi" gin palace , travelling and working on campsites as and when.

We bought a cheap house in 2010, kids went to Uni, left home, we worked on more campsites and now and then and are now happily travelling as much as we can .

We learnt very quickly to cut our coat according to our cloth

Very happy days.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
My sister was one of those.

After numerous summers travelling in various vans she had the 'gin palace' built
(Actually a 5.5t PVC)
The novelty wore off after about 15 months.

The main problem was keeping it warm.
She simply could not get it much above 10c over the ambient temperature, no matter how much heat was put in.
Which means mid winter, even in Cornwall, top temperature was 12c inside. Which is not nice.

(My winterised Hymer, when camping beside her would easily get 25c above ambient in under an hour)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
So how did it all work out, are you still traveling as free as a bird

It has continued working more than just well for me...

I doubt I will ever go back to Blighty... too cold and grey and my passport has run out.

I often sit in the shade under my beautiful old oak tree by the side of my van parked on my tiny piece of Portugal and think of all the advantages I have enjoyed by being a full timer...

The life I have enjoyed here (and around) since 1999 could not have been done in Blighty.

I've just had four months pottering around the Algarve waiting for it to warm up here.

JJ :cool:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back