From Caravan to Motorhome and Back Again (1 Viewer)

Motorhome or caravan

• Total voters
Dec 17, 2019
St Leonards, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu
Exp
Converted caravanner!
Would never rule out going back to a caravan. One often missed benefit of having a van is the ability to pop in to places either before or after you’ve left a site perhaps on the way home. With a caravan it’s very difficult so normally used to just go straight home.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
We have motorhomes for 20 ish years.

I am still addicted.

However, I always fancied trying a caravan.

So, after a lot of Searching, 2 years I think. I found a great priced Caravan. Fully Kitted out including Motor Mover, Air Conditioning and Bespoke winter cover. After selling all the gear it came with we did not need, it ended up costing us £2,800. Sadly, for many reasons, we have only managed to get away in it 3 times. I hate towing, but once its on-site, its ok.

But I much Prefer the motorhome.

But for what the Caravan stands us at, it is staying, for now.

View attachment 890469

Trevor for the capital involved it is worth keeping. It is good that in UK it does not need MOT.

Jun 4, 2019
North licolnshire
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
I'm a newbie
Would never rule out going back to a caravan. One often missed benefit of having a van is the ability to pop in to places either before or after you’ve left a site perhaps on the way home. With a caravan it’s very difficult so normally used to just go straight home.
Love a pub stop on way too and from a site.

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Trevor for the capital involved it is worth keeping. It is good that in UK it does not need MOT.
Yes, My family keep nagging me to sell it. But its down the side of the house, hidden and I don't have to pay for storage so its staying.

They sell for around £8,000 here, much more on the continent. And new, including extras £34,000
Screenshot 2024-04-28 at 13.22.06.png

JRT

Feb 28, 2023
The former North Riding of Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Nearly did....but...
Exp
40 years caravanning.
Some of course have both.

Was talking to a guy on site the other day who was towing a small swift caravan with a VW campervan.

When he needs the extra accomodation and space he hitches up the caravan and when he doesn't or just wants to use the camper as a day van he just leaves the caravan at home.

Seems like an ideal solution.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 17, 2022
Stelling Minnis, Canterbury, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Since 1998
Aww, bless you. If we’re allowed we will still be members of this great group but we’ve decided we like the freedom that having a car brings and despite loving our latest motorhome layout the caravan will give us more space/comfort. No easy answer and everyone has different requirements. Will you be at Norden next month?

Pauline
Will you be going to Swaffam after Norden this year?

JaG

Oct 30, 2008
Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2008
Aww, bless you. If we’re allowed we will still be members of this great group but we’ve decided we like the freedom that having a car brings and despite loving our latest motorhome layout the caravan will give us more space/comfort. No easy answer and everyone has different requirements. Will you be at Norden next month?

Pauline
We joined in 2008 with a campervan. Went back to caravan in 2011 and stayed with MHF. Done many, many rallies including running some with the caravan. Four years ago made the change to motorhome, and still here, having made hundreds of friends, with more to make yet.
Hope you stay with this fabulous, friendly group.

OP
OP
MikenPauline
Sep 28, 2019
Newbury, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson 767 GA
Exp
Since 2018
We joined in 2008 with a campervan. Went back to caravan in 2011 and stayed with MHF. Done many, many rallies including running some with the caravan. Four years ago made the change to motorhome, and still here, having made hundreds of friends, with more to make yet.
Hope you stay with this fabulous, friendly group.
We certainly plan on doing so, like you, we’ve met so many lovely people through this group and are looking forward to a few rallies and meet ups this year.

Oct 25, 2021
Stisted, Essex
Funster No
MH
Cipro 85
Exp
Since 2005
Over the years 4 of each unit, this year we are back to caravanning. Our reasons are we mainly tour in the UK, holidays abroad are far flung and we fly.
Another reason that hit us last year was the closed to Motorhome parking in the UK which is getting more and more prevalent, if its a bit of shopping, or getting out and about to see the area and spend money with the locals, you would drive around for hours trying to find a space to legally park in a MoHo. I will admit though over the years we have honed our needs with taken's from both MH and CV and our current van meets all of those, room to comfortably move around and relax, much more room in the cloakroom area, larger shower, and so on. Another bonus is no tax, no fuel bills, no expensive servicing and MOT's
We like others would never say never again, we have been away 5 times so far this year even with this Sh*tty weather but all times were enjoyable and we did not get under each others feet, so no rows, now that is a bonus you cannot buy.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back