From Caravan to Motorhome and Back Again (1 Viewer)

Motorhome or caravan

• Total voters
Nov 27, 2016
Notts
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
We had a caravan when Kids were little, then we had a motorhome, then a caravan, then a campervan and then two more motorhomes.
Don't think we would go back to a caravan but never say never.

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
Never had a caravan and I doubt we ever will. Staying on campsites are not really our thing (occasionally but not often) but travelling with short stops, park ups, long trips across Europe are. That type of thing suits a motorhome and not a caravan.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Since early 80s, several caravans, and several motorhomes.. it all depends on circumstances at the time, and what suited best..

Presently have a Timberland PVC ..

Jan and I have been discussing this recently and in the future we may be spending more time in the UK and less touring abroad, so a caravan would suit us better and were looking at buying an Eriba ..

We had a Puck years ago and loved it .. so an Eriba with a shower and toilet is on the cards. lightweight, beautiful construction, and a dream to pull ..

There is no right and wrong.. only choices

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 24, 2017
Greater London
Funster No
MH
2021 Burstner TD680G
Exp
Camping , caravanning, campervaning for 10 years
As above its what's right at the time. We had 3 different sized caravans then a large tent (handy with grandchildren) then motorhome then caravan and then back to motorhome and now a 6.4m panel van as of a month ago. Will this be our last variation... dont know for sure but think so....

Jun 24, 2022
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam746
Started with a VW back in the 80,s then switched to caravan, back to Motorhome in 2000 3 motorhomes later back to a caravan now back to Motorhome with toad . Still not sure which I prefer the only thing a do know is that after 6 motorhomes I have finally found my preferred layout.

Jun 4, 2019
North licolnshire
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
I'm a newbie
Just wondering how many of you have gone to a caravan after having a motorhome? We had a caravan and now after having four motorhomes have decided to return to a caravan.
Hi Mike and Pauline. Sorry to see you go from motorhoming.
We have never had a caravan, we love been able to stop in aires, carparks and pubs as well as campsites.

OP
OP
MikenPauline
Sep 28, 2019
Newbury, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson 767 GA
Exp
Since 2018
Hi Mike and Pauline. Sorry to see you go from motorhoming.
We have never had a caravan, we love been able to stop in aires, carparks and pubs as well as campsites.
Aww, bless you. If we’re allowed we will still be members of this great group but we’ve decided we like the freedom that having a car brings and despite loving our latest motorhome layout the caravan will give us more space/comfort. No easy answer and everyone has different requirements. Will you be at Norden next month?

Pauline

Oct 5, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet
One of the main advantages of a caravan (apart from being dramatically cheaper) is you remain mobile via the car at your destination. On the other hand, we plan to spend a lot of time in France (or going through it) and the fact that the aires generally forbid caravans is a big disadvantage.

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
Aww, bless you. If we’re allowed we will still be members of this great group but we’ve decided we like the freedom that having a car brings and despite loving our latest motorhome layout the caravan will give us more space/comfort. No easy answer and everyone has different requirements. Will you be at Norden next month?

Pauline
Look on the bright side you may be going back to tugging but hey you'll have the car so us freeloader can cadge a day out :wink:
Special caravaners do stay on MHF so your not going anywhere

JRT

Feb 28, 2023
The former North Riding of Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Nearly did....but...
Exp
40 years caravanning.

Pauline

Well I haven't found any problem being here as a caravanner.....

Came close to getting a MH but in the end we never did.

Nov 5, 2021
Funster No
MH
Adria
As others have said it's about circumstances that can change. We had a MH for 3 years but then OH mobility issues got worse. We'd vowed never to tow, but OH went on a 4 hour one to one towing course. We now have a brand new caravan and a car we use when we get to our destination. Yes we could have towed a car, but I think that would have been the most expensive solution. We have always used sites in the UK and abroad so for us changing to a caravan works. I still love the MH that 12 months later the dealer hasn't sold. Do what works for you and be prepared and happy to change as circumstances change.

OP
OP
MikenPauline
Sep 28, 2019
Newbury, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson 767 GA
Exp
Since 2018
As others have said it's about circumstances that can change. We had a MH for 3 years but then OH mobility issues got worse. We'd vowed never to tow, but OH went on a 4 hour one to one towing course. We now have a brand new caravan and a car we use when we get to our destination. Yes we could have towed a car, but I think that would have been the most expensive solution. We have always used sites in the UK and abroad so for us changing to a caravan works. I still love the MH that 12 months later the dealer hasn't sold. Do what works for you and be prepared and happy to change as circumstances change.
Yes, we thought about towing a car too but like you said, it’s an expensive solution and of course A frames aren’t legal in the two states we like to visit. We also like staying on sites in this country and abroad. We’ve decided we will stay longer on sites and explore the areas by car. We know you can take the motorhome out but are reluctant to in this country due to lack of parking places.

Jun 4, 2019
North licolnshire
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
I'm a newbie

Pauline
No we are going to Bridlington instead.
We are going to the Newark motorhome show in June.

Jul 14, 2020
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E720
Exp
Since 2020 - caravanned for 30 years before that
When the kids were younger, and wanted to travel with us, we had a caravan. Now we love our MH, especially in Europe.

We agree that we'd probably prefer a caravan in the UK but far prefer touring when in Europe so the MH is better.

May 29, 2014
southampton
Funster No
MH
A frame
Exp
since 1985
Started with a VW back in the 80,s then switched to caravan, back to Motorhome in 2000 3 motorhomes later back to a caravan now back to Motorhome with toad . Still not sure which I prefer the only thing a do know is that after 6 motorhomes I have finally found my preferred layout.
So please tell us the layout.

brynric

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2009
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Pilote G600
Exp
We’ve worked our way from ridge tent, frame tent, trailer tent, small caravan, large caravan, Motorhome… there’s no where left to go. When I can no longer drive the Motorhome I will not be able to tow and won’t fancy sleeping on the floor. It will be Saga coach holidays for us!

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
We have motorhomes for 20 ish years.

I am still addicted.

However, I always fancied trying a caravan.

So, after a lot of Searching, 2 years I think. I found a great priced Caravan. Fully Kitted out including Motor Mover, Air Conditioning and Bespoke winter cover. After selling all the gear it came with we did not need, it ended up costing us £2,800. Sadly, for many reasons, we have only managed to get away in it 3 times. I hate towing, but once its on-site, its ok.

But I much Prefer the motorhome.

But for what the Caravan stands us at, it is staying, for now.

D3493608-6D13-4540-ADB2-FDA05B1BCC0C.jpeg

Sep 2, 2014
Near Colchester, Essex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo
Exp
12 years
Just wondering how many of you have gone to a caravan after having a motorhome? We had a caravan and now after having four motorhomes have decided to return to a caravan.
We had a Motorhome first, then tried a caravan that only lasted 18 months, and since then we have had two more motorhomes.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back