Fridge doesn't appear to be cooling on 12 volt (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Aug 4, 2021
Haslington, UK
Funster No
MH
Niesmann and Bischof
Afternoon! I hope you're all having a good Monday. At the weekend I took the motorhome out for a weekend of Motocross...has just had a habitation service and low and behold the fridge didn't seem to be getting cold on 12volt . I swapped to gas and it was amazing!
Any suggestions before I get back to the guy who serviced it? Thanks

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Not wishing to teach egg sucking but are you aware that it prob only runs in 12v with the engine running and producing enough power ..?

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Is it wired to run on 12v with the engine off, many are not even if capable of doing so.
There are 3 ways to wire a fridge.
1, Habitation and cab battery connected and switched by relay or other control from D+ signal when engine is running or not
2, Cab battery only connected and selected by relay or other control from D+ signal when engine is running
3, Connected to habitation battery only (generally for compressor fridges only.
Then if you have a solar panel and a compatible regulator and fridge you can have it connected to the S+ output from the regulator to select your habitation battery when its fully charged.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
G
Aug 4, 2021
Haslington, UK
Funster No
MH
Niesmann and Bischof
Next issue is a minor one but when I press the toilet flush I can hear it trying to rinse but only a tiny trickle coming out!
Have I missed something simple here too? šŸ¤” šŸ¤£

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Next issue is a minor one but when I press the toilet flush I can hear it trying to rinse but only a tiny trickle coming out!
Ah yes this could be that your toilet has prostrate problems. :whistle2:

:giggler::giggler:

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
Have you got a seperate tank for the loo or does it use main tank? Whatever you have is there water in the tank?

Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Depends on your van possibly. My previous van had a separate tank for flush water. My current one doesnā€™t. Someone else with a similar van will know better.
Donā€™t feel silly for asking any questions. Unless you were specifically told about the fridge and 12v itā€™s easy not to know. Hope you enjoyed the mx. Where were you? We were at Northchapel, West Sussex. Good days racing, a tad dusty though which was a change from mud :X3:

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Main tank feeds toilet...N&B Arto
You haven't compressed the feed pipe to the bowl when putting the toilet cassette back in?

We had a similar problem a year or two ago but it was because the residual water in the pipework had frozen!

OP
OP
G
Aug 4, 2021
Haslington, UK
Funster No
MH
Niesmann and Bischof
Depends on your van possibly. My previous van had a separate tank for flush water. My current one doesnā€™t. Someone else with a similar van will know better.
Donā€™t feel silly for asking any questions. Unless you were specifically told about the fridge and 12v itā€™s easy not to know. Hope you enjoyed the mx. Where were you? We were at Northchapel, West Sussex. Good days racing, a tad dusty though which was a change from mud :X3:
We were at Astbury in Cheshire. It was my son's 4th ever race. He came 17/29 on day 1 and 23/31 on day 2. It's such a tough sport!

OP
OP
G
Aug 4, 2021
Haslington, UK
Funster No
MH
Niesmann and Bischof
So... outside in van. I have switched the water pump on and held the flush button down for a bit. Little bits of stuff are occasionally coming out. Am thinking it must be blocked...next is how to unblock the pipe šŸ™„

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
So... outside in van. I have switched the water pump on and held the flush button down for a bit. Little bits of stuff are occasionally coming out. Am thinking it must be blocked...next is how to unblock the pipe šŸ™„
Is it black bits coming out?
If so, it'll be mould in the pipework.
We get that if van has been laid up for a month or two.
You might want to just keep pressing the flush button and it might clear.
It normally does with ours.

OP
OP
G
Aug 4, 2021
Haslington, UK
Funster No
MH
Niesmann and Bischof
Is it black bits coming out?
If so, it'll be mould in the pipework.
We get that if van has been laid up for a month or two.
You might want to just keep pressing the flush button and it might clear.
It normally does with ours.
Not black but brown paper thin bits that look like fish flakes šŸ¤£šŸ¤£
My water tank is full so will keep trying

Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
If you toilets flushes with its supply drawn from the main tank, it relies on a small solenoid valve to open so the water doesnā€™t flush when you have a sink tap on, it should be near the loo check it is fully opening/

OP
OP
G
Aug 4, 2021
Haslington, UK
Funster No
MH
Niesmann and Bischof
If you toilets flushes with its supply drawn from the main tank, it relies on a small solenoid valve to open so the water doesnā€™t flush when you have a sink tap on, it should be near the loo check it is fully opening/
Ok. Will investigate that next!!

OP
OP
G
Aug 4, 2021
Haslington, UK
Funster No
MH
Niesmann and Bischof
Stupid question but what will it look like? What a way to spend my Monday šŸ¤£

Jul 4, 2018
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg
Exp
A few years.
Ours has a valve right up in the rim, it is clogged with said brown/tan stuff. Thetford suggest a new one which required the loo to be dismantled. I've got one but not the inclination to do the dismantle. We keep a squirty bottle with water/rinse mixture, which works better than the flush. Wife still wants the new valve fitted.

OP
OP
G
Aug 4, 2021
Haslington, UK
Funster No
MH
Niesmann and Bischof
Ours has a valve right up in the rim, it is clogged with said brown/tan stuff. Thetford suggest a new one which required the loo to be dismantled. I've got one but not the inclination to do the dismantle. We keep a squirty bottle with water/rinse mixture, which works better than the flush. Wife still wants the new valve fitted.
This sounds like a plan šŸ‘šŸ¼
Not really getting any better...

Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
The solenoid housing quite often also contains a filter/ mesh screen. It sounds as though that's blocked.
Mike.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back