Fresh water system cleaning (1 Viewer)

Zoobec

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 11, 2020
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Boxer PVC
Exp
I drained ours down at the end of the summer and would like to use something to clean it with, I read about putting something in the tank with a small amount of water and leaving it to slosh around before flushing through but I can’t remember what it was!

Does anyone have any recommendations please? Thankyou!

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018

hja

May 8, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit Prim
Exp
Since 2019
We use puriclean every year. Part fill tank with fresh water, pump on, open taps etc to get air out. Dissolve correct amount of puriclean for tank size in warm water, add to tank, fill up with fresh. Open taps to ensure sterilising liquid get into boiler and pipes. Leave overnight. Empty. Refill with fresh. Empty. Good to go.

Mar 28, 2010
Wirral
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer 504
Exp
Since 1995
It's a good idea slosh around water in your waste water tank.There's a number of chemicals to put into the waste tank at the same time. Drive around a bit and then drain.

I fill our 'fresh' water tank to the brim with clean water and appropriate Puriclean powder - instructions on the carton.

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
This has been discussed many times on various threads. I'll repeat the advice I always give. 5mls of Milton into an empty tank. Fill to about 10% with water. Leave 24 hours to stand. Then fill tank, flush though taps. No need to drain or rinse. You are good to go.

It's the method just about every water company in the UK (and isle of man) uses to disinfect water service reservoirs.

Don't waste your money on other disinfecting agents. 5 MLS of Milton will cost you about 10p.

If you want to save the 10p don't bother at all. It's not needed normally. 👍👍

Nov 3, 2020
Up the Hamble
Funster No
MH
Ace Siena
Exp
Since 2019
I drained ours down at the end of the summer and would like to use something to clean it with, I read about putting something in the tank with a small amount of water and leaving it to slosh around before flushing through but I can’t remember what it was!

Aqua Sol and follow the instructions on the bottle. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/28571156...pid=5339023013&customid=&toolid=10001&mkevt=1

Apr 9, 2022
Funster No
MH
Cathargo
Exp
This has been discussed many times on various threads. I'll repeat the advice I always give. 5mls of Milton into an empty tank. Fill to about 10% with water. Leave 24 hours to stand. Then fill tank, flush though taps. No need to drain or rinse. You are good to go.

It's the method just about every water company in the UK (and isle of man) uses to disinfect water service reservoirs.

Don't waste your money on other disinfecting agents. 5 MLS of Milton will cost you about 10p.

If you want to save the 10p don't bother at all. It's not needed normally. 👍👍
Thanks for your advice - can I just confirm it is ok with stainless boilers etc at this concentration?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Zoobec

Zoobec

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 11, 2020
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Boxer PVC
Exp
Thankyou everyone for your advice 👍

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
Oh dear. I have never cleaned our tank or pipes!
Does the chlorine in the water not kill any bacteria?
In reality it does. But, if I leave water in the tank for any length of time I feel better with an additive in the water. Maybe a waste of money, maybe not. This goes way back when we had a boat and stored water for a fair while.

However, this did happen in Spain so I had to find some purification solution. Since we have been back I have not had to use the shower so can’t say whether there is any real difference between UK and Spanish drinking water.

If time is not an issue I’m sure an annual clean and use of a storage solution would not be wasted even if it actually does no good. Better safe than sorry.

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
Thanks for your advice - can I just confirm it is ok with stainless boilers etc at this concentration?
At that low concentration. Yes. Absolutely. It's not much stronger than tap water. Neat bleach left for long periods will corrode stainless steel. We are talking about levels of chlorine that is safe to drink.

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
Oh dear. I have never cleaned our tank or pipes!
Does the chlorine in the water not kill any bacteria?
By the time water gets to your taps it can be 0.2mg/l or even less. Better to have nearer 1 mg/l to disinfect it if there are bugs in there .

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
I wonder. Same chlorine or fluoride levels?
Fluoride? Not sure what that has to do with it. Fluoride does not effect disinfection, taste or odour in any way.

Chlorine levels do vary around the world. In the states they don't like it if they can't taste the chlorine and regularly have levels around 1 mg/l. Spain is generally similar to the UK as they adopt the same standards. That is that all customers should get at least 0.2mg/l at the tap.

Nov 19, 2021
Nr Wigan, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido A Class
Exp
I believe Coke Cola is best for cleaning your waste tank.
Pour a couple of bottles down the drain, drive around for 15mins and then leave overnight before draining off.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back