French now getting sniffy about their recipes (1 Viewer)

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
French Cuisine has to be the most over rated & over priced in the world. IMHO.
Look at a typical French town/harbour restaurant menu these days, when they can be bothered to open,:rolleyes: and you will see what I mean.
German & Swiss are also bad, but at least they don't brag about it so much.
LES

Last edited:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Look at a typical French town/harbour restaurant menu these days, when they can be bothered to open,:rolleyes: and you will see what I mean.
German & Swiss is also bad, but at least they don't brag about it so much.
LES
Spot on(y)

They have been getting away with it for too long:mad:

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Sorry but when I think of French restaurants & short opening times I always smile and think of Micky Flanagan, he hits the nail on the head.
Please Don't view if offended by severe swearing, if you are French then pay attention.;):giggle:
Chris this is especially from me to you...enjoy.
LES

Deleted User
We did have a very good village restaurant run by a Danish lady and her French husband who was the chef. He did make an effort with his dishes, but more than once we were advised by the patron to avoid something on a daily menu, as that was intended for the "ouvriers" and they had something "better" to offer their regular diners.

Sadly, divorce led to the place being sold and we went just the once more under the new French ownership.

That coincided with the Covid outbreak and not being able to go out brought home just how much enjoyable our own meals could be as we are both pretty decent cooks. We haven't bothered eating out since.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Perhaps our french Funsters could comment on reports
that the culinary industry in France have embraced the British
'Crumble' and other UK Puds.
This is correct. Had a crumble the other day in France and it was far better than I’ve had in many English establishments.

Deleted User
Perhaps our french Funsters could comment on reports
that the culinary industry in France have embraced the British
'Crumble' and other UK Puds.
Yes, very true. Also many boulangeries offer individual crumble portions in amongst their tartlettes and cakes at the usual inflated prices.

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
German & Swiss are also bad, but at least they don't brag about it so much.
LES
My son is a chef - he would laugh at the concept of only working 8hr in a day which the French are obliged to do.

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
True, but I love classic French dishes….. not nouvelle cuisine though. Good hearty lyonnaise cooking is hard to beat
Shall I add that most certainly, no country according to me, should cook and propose anything they would call Haggis! It would sound heretic to me. Come on let's be fair We all try to cook things "like" whatever dish you could think of, and give it the same name, but only the people from a country or even an area of a country are allowed to call its by it original name. It's just obvious! And I agree with most comments (I did say MOST... not ALL!!!!) and what they want to point out. It should just be the same rules for what ever French would want to cook and propose in his/her restaurant coming from another country. As I said ... Let's be fair.
I understand what this ...Lady... (I never heard of BTW....indeed DuxDeluxe you've got too much time on your hands :whistle2: :p how the heck did you find that Lady ??? ) wants to do, but I think it needs a bit more work to be able to be fair to everyone and to every country

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
My son is a chef - he would laugh at the concept of only working 8hr in a day which the French are obliged to do.
Sorry ... restaurants are under a different law. 52 hours/week if I remember well. It might even be more now, with all the recent laws.

Suenliam

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 14, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion CV40
Exp
20+
Personal taste - if you like the food where ever it is cooked then it is good. If you don't like it it's bad.
I do see civil war breaking out in France if the proposals go through - cassoulet is correctly made in at least 3 towns that I am aware of and each one is different :giggler:
Sue

Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Personal taste - if you like the food where ever it is cooked then it is good. If you don't like it it's bad.
I do see civil war breaking out in France if the proposals go through - cassoulet is correctly made in at least 3 towns that I am aware of and each one is different :giggler:
Sue
I will even add, that I personnaly found in Castelnaudary the worst cassoulet ever, while it is supposed to be the "nest" of this dish

Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Has anyone come up with way to improve andouillette, apart from the obvious one of throwing it in the bin.
Ah this one is a good point! If some day you happen to come and visit (bl***y hurry, I'll stop working hopefully on the 1st of January 2025) then I will take you where you'll have the best ones I have ever eaten. Mind you, I told them" look I just hate this since I had to eat some not properly cooked, and I'll mess around if it happens to be the case here too". Ordered, praying I would not have to stand on the table to shout YUKKKY ! And they were really nice. I guess it's the same with people who tried haggis badly cooked.
Reallyretired Tell me if you want me to edit all my posts on here in blue :smiley:

Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
In France now, and yesterday at French restaurant for lunch offering a range of salad. One of which the wife had. A Norwegian salad. Salomon, feta cheese, pineapple, capers, and then the standard salad stuff. Mmmm. Norwegian, pineapple, feta, 🙈🙈
Agree on that, deffo!

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
Sorry ... restaurants are under a different law. 52 hours/week if I remember well. It might even be more now, with all the recent laws.
Tried looking that up as I always assumed this was part of the issue with restaurants but the 35 hour concept appears to be very convoluted (seen from this side of the channel).

Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Tried looking that up as I always assumed this was part of the issue with restaurants but the 35 hour concept appears to be very convoluted (seen from this side of the channel).
My brother in law used to have in charge one the restaurants of the Courte-Paille company. That's how I knew about it. It's not something that the average french knows, let alone a foreigner.
Many different laws according to the trades, be it in number of hours or at what time starting and endind At the moment all the outdoors jobs start at 5.00 or 6.00 am and end at 2.00 or 3.00pm. Don't forget that lots of jobs are ruled (open/closed) by the weather. I guess in England the roads workers can't work when it's snowy/frozen everywhere, well same with restaurants here. The heat makes things difficult. Also, no point in opening early when people are still in bed having drank a lot the previous evening. The staff ends after 2.00 or 3.00 in the morning
Another example with night work for women. It's forbidden to offer a maid job to a woman if it's during the night unless the employer obeys a few safety rules for the woman. I don't know which ones as I never looked.

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
My brother in law used to have in charge one the restaurants of the Courte-Paille company. That's how I knew about it. It's not something that the average french knows, let alone a foreigner.
Many different laws according to the trades, be it in number of hours or at what time starting and endind At the moment all the outdoors jobs start at 5.00 or 6.00 am and end at 2.00 or 3.00pm. Don't forget that lots of jobs are ruled (open/closed) by the weather. I guess in England the roads workers can't work when it's snowy/frozen everywhere, well same with restaurants here. The heat makes things difficult. Also, no point in opening early when people are still in bed having drank a lot the previous evening. The staff ends after 2.00 or 3.00 in the morning
Another example with night work for women. It's forbidden to offer a maid job to a woman if it's during the night unless the employer obeys a few safety rules for the woman. I don't know which ones as I never looked.
Yes we have few rules around this.
Road workers in England clearing snow are rarely needed as while we are further north most land is close to the sea. So every 5 years or so the snow falls, roads are jammed and the airports close; everyone says that Canadian airports are all running even though it is 10 degrees colder; we all agree that we should be prepared for the next time; 5 years later - repeat process :)

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Ah this one is a good point! If some day you happen to come and visit (bl***y hurry, I'll stop working hopefully on the 1st of January 2025) then I will take you where you'll have the best ones I have ever eaten. Mind you, I told them" look I just hate this since I had to eat some not properly cooked, and I'll mess around if it happens to be the case here too". Ordered, praying I would not have to stand on the table to shout YUKKKY ! And they were really nice. I guess it's the same with people who tried haggis badly cooked.
Reallyretired Tell me if you want me to edit all my posts on here in blue :smiley:
I seem to be able to read your purple prose now. Must have changed something my end.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Sorry but when I think of French restaurants & short opening times I always smile and think of Micky Flanagan, he hits the nail on the head.
Please Don't view if offended by severe swearing, if you are French then pay attention.;):giggle:
Chris this is especially from me to you...enjoy.
LES

Speaks a lot of sense he does (y) :giggle:

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Pasties with Peas and Carrots!, Mackeral and Beetroot, , Chicken and sweetcorn, Blues Cheese and Onion!???????

Surely there is some sort of mini-nuke that can take out the establishments that are producing this crapola!?????

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back