French eu pet passport (1 Viewer)

gallachk

Free Member
Apr 18, 2024
Funster No
MH
just looking
Hi, our dog was issued with an eu passport in France in 2022. We have used it successfully several times. Last week, however, at a different vets, they said we hadn’t registered with Icad in France.. they stamped the passport, but said we need to come back next time and they will send her chip number to icad to get registered, and it may take 2 weeks. She said we should bring a uk animal health certificate, but wouldn’t need anything else.
I have just read that France won’t issue an eu passport unless we have a visa to allow us to stay more than 90 days. Does anyone have any advice about this please?

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Get another one in Belgium. French vet stamped ours with no problem. Just about to test it on Spanish vet.

CRD

Apr 15, 2021
Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670 DL
Exp
3 Years
We bought a passport for our dog in Spain last year and the vet registered the chip number on the EU database at the same time. There was no discussion about a two week wait.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I’m surprised one was obtained in France in 2022 as people were already reporting that impossible to get one there if not a French resident.

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

gallachk

Free Member
Apr 18, 2024
Funster No
MH
just looking
I’m surprised one was obtained in France in 2022 as people were already reporting that impossible to get one there if not a French resident.
Haha we were surprised too

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
G

gallachk

Free Member
Apr 18, 2024
Funster No
MH
just looking
We bought a passport for our dog in Spain last year and the vet registered the chip number on the EU database at the same time. There was no discussion about a two week wait.
So, did you just go to the vet and ask for one?

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Which vet did you use in Belgium and what did you need to take with you? Thanks
I used one on the outskirts of Mons as that was convenient just as a bypass on way to France. Many funsters on this forum have used her. Convenient MH stop at the Strepy-Thieu boat lifts.
Prices can be what she charges on the day, for us 50€ plus charge for the rabies and accompanying health check. 3 year rabies. It was in 2022.
It is cheaper in Spain but we are only now travelling here.

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
I think you were just unlucky with the vet you chose,some recommendations here 👍

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
We took the dog, of course and the AHC that we had travelled over on. First time with a dog.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
T
I think you were just unlucky with the vet you chose,some recommendations here 👍

That’s for worming not rabies.
Edit, sorry, maybe the OP just wanted return to UK worming? In that case, yes chose another vet until PP runs out.
We used the vet at Buchy in France to return to UK last time but there are many more on the thread ypu linked to.

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
T

That’s for worming not rabies.

Who mentioned rabies ? I understood that the vets were saying that the passport was not valid as the dog was not on the icad system which is b****cks.

If you need another passport gallachk there are plenty to choose from 👍

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
The vet is talking piffle.

It’s an EU passport for the dog with no requirement for registration in France which is a French issue for French resident dogs.

Apr 28, 2022
Western France
Funster No
MH
Pilote G600
Exp
Since 2006
I too am surprised one was obtained in 2022. When our dog was registered in 2020 our vet supplied the paperwork and filled in most of the details. We compiled the rest and posted it to I-CAD with a cheque (yes-really!) using the duplicate form as proof in the meantime. We never provided proof of residency but they had known us and her for 2+ years prior to that since re-registering her upon arrival in France in late 2017.

I-CAD is a French scheme that presumably complies with the EU requirement. The Spanish obviously do it differently.

It does work well. We live next to the man who runs the local hunting organisation and, since he learned that we have our own scanner, has frequently borrowed it to scan stray dogs people tell him about. He gives the chip number to his vet who traces it on the database, contacts the owner directly and tells them where to find their dog.

CRD

Apr 15, 2021
Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670 DL
Exp
3 Years
So, did you just go to the vet and ask for one?
Yes. We used a vet just outside Roses. There was no problem at all, although our dog had to have another rabies jab as it has to be given by a Spanish (or EU) vet. It cost €125, which is more than many pay, but it did include the chip registration fee into the EU database.

The vet wasn't at all bothered by us giving a UK address.

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Hi, our dog was issued with an eu passport in France in 2022. We have used it successfully several times. Last week, however, at a different vets, they said we hadn’t registered with Icad in France.. they stamped the passport, but said we need to come back next time and they will send her chip number to icad to get registered, and it may take 2 weeks. She said we should bring a uk animal health certificate, but wouldn’t need anything else.
I have just read that France won’t issue an eu passport unless we have a visa to allow us to stay more than 90 days. Does anyone have any advice about this please?
That vet is talking out of his derrière. :RollEyes:

If the rabies vaccinations are up to date there is nothing wrong with your Pet Passport. You do not need an AHC or another Pet Passport. I-cad registration is really only relevant to resident dogs. It is a legal requirement only if a dog will be staying in France for more than 3 months. It is certainly not needed to cross borders.

All of the nonsense quoted by French vets seems to stem from misinterpretations of the badly-worded Br*x*t statement on the I-cad website. This has been thoroughly explored in a number of threads on here.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back