Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Have had a quick look around the forum but not seen anything useful, so…..
What FREE Antivirus do people use on their laptops, running Windows?
Is it truly free or is it just a taster and do you have to pay after a while?
Does it work?

Aug 22, 2007
essex
Funster No
MH
2017 sunlight t69s euro6
Exp
since 1999
BT gives free Norton as part of the package but it seems to slow the PC down

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Another vote for Windows protection. Just make sure you check it regularly for security and virus updates, as they’re free too 👍🏻

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
I've used Windows' built in AV, firewall, etc. tool for many years.
Add on AV tools were too invasive.

edit: definitely from Windows Vista onwards, maybe XP SP2 but not sure.

Mar 21, 2022
Bradford, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson 711
Exp
Since 2009
One thing I would add, no matter what AV you use, do regular back up’s of important data.

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
I've used Avast backed up with regular use of CCleaner for years. You have to be persistent in refusing the free upgrade trial but it works well.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
I have swapped between AVG and Avast, both the free versions, and have never had a problem.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
I have swapped between AVG and Avast, both the free versions, and have never had a problem.
Likewise from the early \ mid 90's but as they are both now owned by Avast and their "nagging" became a pain switched to Microsoft Defender a few years ago and had no problems.

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
Windows firewall is as good as anything and is already on your computer. Just make sure it's switched on and do a full scan everynow and again. My computer has been fine for 5 years and I frequent some dodgy sites!

May 25, 2021
Scotland
Funster No
MH
RP Rebel on order
Exp
I'm a computer engineer with about 4k business & home user clients. Myself & my clients use Webroot, I use the business version with a console, but the simplist home user version would be fine. Webroot has a very small memory & processor footprint (it only scans files which are new or have been changed). Do not use a "free" anti-virus. YOU will be the product. Bombarded with ads & your data will be sold on.
Viruses are not the only risk, ransomware can bypass some security & is a far bigger danger. Do a USB full backup once a week & keep the USB drive separate to your house. Such as in the garage. Try to use a different tech for your backup - if you have SSD drives, then use a platter backup etc. 2 backup drives are better, you can then rotate them. Only one of my clients has ever been zapped in 31 years. They were using Dropbox (yuk) & sharing files with a collegue. The collegue got infected & that infected & sync'd to their Dropbox. My client... noticed the new file & opened it to take a look. He was immediately affected by ransomware & lost every data & executable file on his pc. He had backups though. The pc needed a rebuild. Be very careful about clicking links in emails, always hover over the link to see where it's heading, for instance, if the hover shows that an email link from Amazon is going to www.xyzyoureintrouble.com, don't click. In fact don't click email links at all unless you are definate you know what you are doing.

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
I save everything to a remote harddrive and a USB pen drive I have had a harddrive fail and been able to restore from the pen drive and also the other way round. I also back up to another harddrive once a month. Not that I'm paranoid 🥺🥺🥺🥺

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back