France and Spain Data SIM Cards (1 Viewer)

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
After reading another post about RWG reducing their data to 20gb when roaming, I will be buying a sim in France but are there any that would give good data allowance in Spain as well, I know Tiekom do but at a price or will I have to also get a Spainish sim.
And then it’s a question of which VPN to use
Looking forward to the suggestions.

May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
After reading another post about RWG reducing their data to 20gb when roaming, I will be buying a sim in France but are there any that would give good data allowance in Spain as well, I know Tiekom do but at a price or will I have to also get a Spainish sim.
Ref; VPN we've used ExpressVPN for the entire family for some years. It's good as one account covers near unlimited devices with a max of 4 being live at a time. Allows use on ipad, and there is a fireTV app I believe.

We "may" go to Germany or Spain virtually via this for every football away game due to the "restrictions" the EFL put on UK residents being able to watch their team live at 3pm on a Saturday. The nice thing with ExpressVPN is you can trivially change where you are "appearing" from as part of the connection.

Ref; SIM card for France, Free.fr is the reccomended one by my French semi-resident friend who lives in his Villa over there most of the year (who we plan to visit in the MH). Avaialble in all supermarkets/Hypermarkets, and also provides a decent amount of use in Spain compared with a UK sim. It's very reasonably "priced" and there is not any long contracts acording toour friend John.

Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
We use Popit for our phones and it is and has been excellent whilst travelling for extended periods. However, it’s a phone SIM with all the limitations and restrictions that implies.

For a data SIM, you’re far better off with a Tiekom sim which gives you 400Gb in Spain and 200Gb across the rest of Europe.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Reglo sim from E. Leclerc works well in France & very cheap, have to pay €5 for the sim. They say only 5GB roaming but I used over 10GB before I ran out of data so I don't know how long it would have carried on for.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Manic
Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Reglo sim from E. Leclerc works well in France & very cheap, have to pay €5 for the sim. They say only 5GB roaming but I used over 10GB before I ran out of data so I don't know how long it would have carried on for.

Do you use the Reglo sim in your router.
Cheers

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Yes it worked well but it was over a year ago.
Forgot to mention you need to get the sim activated at customer services, you will need your passport & address, the local Aire is OK for address.

Jan 6, 2024
Cheshire, UK
Funster No
MH
AS Warwick XL MQ
Exp
Since 1986
We used a UK based one which has been good. IQ Go, from IQ mobile.
Wasn’t necessary to have a VPN either, was able to stream uk content.
Another vote for IQ Go. I'm in Italy now and you can get iplayer, itvx, etc without a vpn. Have a 100gb sim and it's all usable abroad.

£20 annual subscription keeps your sim alive when you are not using it, and monthly 100gb load costs £20. It works well, and I use it in an Avtex AMR985 fitted to the van.

Jun 16, 2017
Bridlington
Funster No
MH
Pilote P650GJ
Exp
Happy to help
We are in Spain now. I use Lobster which is 150gb for £21.53 (€24.99) lasts for 28 days no auto renewal or contract.

Aug 12, 2020
Chester
Funster No
MH
Van conversion.
Exp
And it's restricted to EU only, as do most others. When in Norway last year we used then why their Global sim, which they've now also stopped.

Any recommendations for non-EU countries like Norway (and Monaco!)?

Jul 16, 2017
Gers, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8096
Exp
I'm a newbie
I have no idea if you can buy without a French address but SFR are doing a 100gb sim for 15,99 pm with full European roaming. There's no contract, so you can cancel whenever. The 15,99 goes up to 25,99 after 6 months.
We live in SW France and the signal has been superb all the way down to Luz.
Edit. Here's a link to the SFR shops, again, no idea if you can buy in shop but maybe worth a try?

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
I have no idea if you can buy without a French address but SFR are doing a 100gb sim for 15,99 pm with full European roaming. There's no contract, so you can cancel whenever. The 15,99 goes up to 25,99 after 6 months.
We live in SW France and the signal has been superb all the way down to Luz.
Edit. Here's a link to the SFR shops, again, no idea if you can buy in shop but maybe worth a try?
Interesting, thanks. Do you have the sim in a phone or mifi and how was the activating process please?

Dec 2, 2009
sussex
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
11 yrs
We are in Spain now. I use Lobster which is 150gb for £21.53 (€24.99) lasts for 28 days no auto renewal or contract.
We have used Lobster for a couple of years now, been pretty good for us.
I like the ability to turn it on and off, and that they have increased the allowance a couple of times, at no extra cost.

Sep 17, 2020
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Another vote for Tiekom. I used one last year in France, Spain and Portugal and it was very good. The offer has slightly changed this year but it's still the best around I think.

Apr 24, 2018
France
Funster No
MH
2001 Hymer B544
Exp
Since 1992
I use Free. 200Gb for under €20. No contract. From Free shops in all the big towns. You need a French address for the forms but you can use a campsite - they don’t send any letters, you get your SIM on the day and you just select ‘statements by email’ - Full EU so works perfect in Spain.

Jul 16, 2017
Gers, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8096
Exp
I'm a newbie
Interesting, thanks. Do you have the sim in a phone or mifi and how was the activating process please?
Activation was very simple, put it in my phone entered the sim code and good to go.
I’m using a teltonika rutx11 and even without external aerials the reception has been superb.
Been away nearly 3 weeks now and with sharing surfing with our uk sims (hardly any data available) and tv and surfing with the sfr sim we’ve only got through 45gb.

Jul 16, 2017
Gers, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8096
Exp
I'm a newbie
I use Free. 200Gb for under €20. No contract. From Free shops in all the big towns. You need a French address for the forms but you can use a campsite - they don’t send any letters, you get your SIM on the day and you just select ‘statements by email’ - Full EU so works perfect in Spain.
I’m with free using an eSIM for French calls etc. I checked with them about 4 weeks ago and they weren’t offering much more the 30gb for European roaming, so maybe they’ve changed their plans?

Feb 20, 2024
Funster No
MH
Swift 694
We have used Lobster for a couple of years now, been pretty good for us.
I like the ability to turn it on and off, and that they have increased the allowance a couple of times, at no extra cost.
Thanks for the Lobster idea.

How do you buy it in Spain or is it eSim?

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
Another vote for Tiekom. I used one last year in France, Spain and Portugal and it was very good. The offer has slightly changed this year but it's still the best around I think.
+1 just spent 5 months in Spain/portugal/ France with excellent coverage,

Aug 11, 2023
Ely, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria 640 Twin
Exp
Since 2015
We bought a sim from Vodafone in Spain. Lasts 28 days with 150gb for €20. Can be topped up. Means having a new mobile number but great for a mobile WiFi device. Works in France and UK but not Portugal.

OP
OP
Manic
Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
After reading about the IQ go sims , I thought it would be an option but just contacted them and it only allows 90 days per year roaming, so I think I’m back to a free.fr sim

Smokaijo

LIFE MEMBER
May 15, 2023
Guildford, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 679
Exp
My partner & I are newbies and have a fully adapted motorhome for myself with my electric wheelchair
We used a UK based one which has been good. IQ Go, from IQ mobile.
Wasn’t necessary to have a VPN either, was able to stream uk content.
VPN protects your phone from Hackers & Cloners and the like - my phone always has one on 😃

Feb 3, 2013
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
ENC Fifer Touring M
Exp
Since the 90's
After reading about the IQ go sims , I thought it would be an option but just contacted them and it only allows 90 days per year roaming, so I think I’m back to a free.fr sim
I thought that was the continous or back to back limit per trip (?) 🤔

Pete

OP
OP
Manic
Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I thought that was the continous or back to back limit per trip (?) 🤔

Pete
This is the reply I got

HI, It's 90 days in a rolling year, not a Calendar year. I.e. if you buy and use Mar 24 to Mar 24 that would be the 90 day rolling year period.

Nov 1, 2023
Christchurch, UK
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Van
Exp
Since 2011
Our IQ refused to work with an Avtex 385 hub and router, so we were in Burgos and bought 100 gb for 20 euros, it will do us for 4 weeks at the Orange in the Al Campo shopping centre. Worked well. We usually land in Cherbourg so pick up an Orange Sim on the way out of the port, more expensive, but find the ease and reliability outweigh any costs.

Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022
Our IQ refused to work with an Avtex 385 hub and router, so we were in Burgos and bought 100 gb for 20 euros, it will do us for 4 weeks at the Orange in the Al Campo shopping centre. Worked well. We usually land in Cherbourg so pick up an Orange Sim on the way out of the port, more expensive, but find the ease and reliability outweigh any costs.

Recently grabbed a €10 for 100gb for 21 day Orange deal in Cádiz after our RWG SIM went awol. Working well - as you can tell, otherwise you’ll not be reading this! :ROFLMAO:

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
This is the reply I got

HI, It's 90 days in a rolling year, not a Calendar year. I.e. if you buy and use Mar 24 to Mar 24 that would be the 90 day rolling year period.
Does it depend on whether you buy a rolling contract or use IQGo? This is what it says for IQ Go

DATA COVERS UK AND EU​

We do not have a "Fair use policy" when abroad which is pretty unique. If you order 100GB, you get 100GB in UK or EU. We do however state we can't permit more than 3 months in a row EU usage without use in the UK breaking it up.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back