Forces War Records .. FREE access until 13th Nov 23 (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang

Discover your military ancestors​

Search over 670 million records​

You have to register but it's Free until 13th Nov

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Sounds good but on my search utterly useless.
Hope others have better luck.
If you want assistance, am happy to help..

I found William Halll, a 1st Cousin 1 x removed

photo on another thread

what information do you have for the person ?

ie name, rank, regiment , service number

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp
I already had my dad's royal naval records from ww2 and his spell on Hms Edinburgh and Prince of Wales. The latter sank in south China sea and he manged to escape the Japanese and made it to Australia where he spent a few years in Australian navy. It was those Australian records I managed to get from this site. Very happy but when I went back to site a next day couldn't find anything.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Couldn’t find my father as he was in burma
He should still be listed.. in the WW2 records ..

Titles:80Records:25,002,501
  • British forces fought bravely on the land, sea and in the air, and were engaged in a long campaign in Burma
  • the battles of Imphal and Kohima turned the tide of the campaign in favour of the Allies, who retook

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
If you want assistance, am happy to help..

I found William Halll, a 1st Cousin 1 x removed

photo on another thread

what information do you have for the person ?

ie name, rank, regiment , service number
Can you not just find them with a name?

My father or Uncle it says no results found although I only put their names in.

My uncle in particular was involved in a battle in the Second World War and was found a few days later wandering on the battlefield.
He spent some periods thereafter throughout his life in psychiatric hospitals and was out selling poppies every year for the British Legion.

Last edited:
OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Can you not just find them with a name?
sometimes, but very difficult as there could be thousands with the same name

family research is like being a detective.. it takes time and a lot of patience .. I've been doing it for 14 years and still not anywhere near completed..

also bear in mind, records my not be 100% complete .. and sometimes names are misspelled .. so try variation of the spelling

I will have a search if you want , what was the name , and any other info that may help ..

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
denisejoe as scotjimland says, unless you have a very unusual name you need as much info as possible to narrow any searches down and even then it can be very difficult. On my wife's side she has Woods and Roberts so you can imagine how many hits you get on those names.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
sometimes, but very difficult as there could be thousands with the same name

family research is like being a detective.. it takes time and a lot of patience .. I've been doing it for 14 years and still not anywhere near completed..

also bear in mind, records my not be 100% complete .. and sometimes names are misspelled .. so try variation of the spelling

I will have a search if you want , what was the name , and any other info that may help ..
Thanks Jim

I only have names, my father was Tom —————- I’ve searched Thomas too, my uncle that saw frontline action was Charles Parkin, if there are lots with that name wouldn’t they all be listed though in the world war 2 records.

It’s just says no results found.

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
denisejoe as scotjimland says, unless you have a very unusual name you need as much info as possible to narrow any searches down and even then it can be very difficult. On my wife's side she has Woods and Roberts so you can imagine how many hits you get on those names.
Thanks, but there’s no hits whatsoever with their names, I could understand if loads came up and you had to them narrow it down?

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Thanks Jim

I only have names, my father was Tom Copley I’ve searched Thomas too, my uncle that saw frontline action was Charles Parkin, if there are lots with that name wouldn’t they all be listed though in the world war 2 records.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Thanks Jim

I only have names, my father was Tom —————- I’ve searched Thomas too, my uncle that saw frontline action was Charles Parkin, if there are lots with that name wouldn’t they all be listed though in the world war 2 records.

dryad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2010
hermit in beautiful coastal east kent
Funster No
MH
citroen relay pvc
Exp
quite a few years now, and loving every minute..
would love to find out my mums, she was in the wrens with her younger sister, but never talked to us kids about the war, seems she was posted all over the place as i recall some of her chats with me about where she'd been throughout her life, and obviously with hindsight, before she married and settled down after the war..
all i have is her name, no other details and with just a day or two, stand no chance i don't think of finding her..
never mind..

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
CazPaul On my ancestry site I get a lot of hits for Thomas Copley, here is an example.

1699791198622.png

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Tried all of his names no hits then most first and last a few hits but still nothing

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
would love to find out my mums, she was in the wrens with her younger sister, but never talked to us kids about the war, seems she was posted all over the place as i recall some of her chats with me about where she'd been throughout her life, and obviously with hindsight, before she married and settled down after the war..
all i have is her name, no other details and with just a day or two, stand no chance i don't think of finding her..
never mind..

dryad If you want PM me her full name DOB and where she was born along with any other information her parents etc you may have I will have a look for you.

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Thanks Jim

Date of birth might help to narrow it down?

Oct 26, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Supreme 680st
Exp
since 2001
I've been trying to find out some more about my Grandad, I know he was in the KSLI from 1931-1938, lied about his age to join at 15, 16th birthday in India, can you imagine that now!, then served throughout the 1939-1945 War, only just found out he was known by a different surname whilst serving :rolleyes: , still no results found?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back