Fogstar Drift App (1 Viewer)

Mar 30, 2022
Funster No
MH
Swift Suntor 590RL
Anybody having problems with the app ?
I received 2 x 105AH Fogstar Drifts today.
I down loaded the app on to my phone but no matter what I do my phone just searches and searches and doesn't connect.
I have also down loaded the app on to my tablet but that won't connect either.
I have Bluetooth and location turned on on both devices and have uninstalled and re-installed the app several times on both devices but still no joy.
I can connect to other devices via Bluetooth no problem.

Solution2
Due to slight differences in resistances due to manufacture and even temperature, and electricity always takes the path of least resistance there will inevitably be one battery that drops quicker them the other my two Aolithium batteries rarely discharge at exactly the same rate there is always a slight difference, but not enough to cause me any concern.
According to the app only 1 battery at a time is discharging.
I put a 5amp load on the system and 1 battery showed it had a 5amp load on it and the other battery showed no load on it.
I would have expected both batteries to have shown about a 2.5amp load on each ?

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
I know but that is not what is happening.
I believe my charging source profiles are fine and are not the problem.
Any ideas as to the easiest and cheapest way for me to discharge the batteries at home so that I can cycle them.
I do not have anything I can use so will have to buy something.
As all it will be used for is cycling the batteries then the cheaper the better.
Do you have inverter in the MH (can't remember) then just boil a kettle or make toast then remove them but as I've said before I would just send them back as it seems to be causing so much hassle and stress for you.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
Mar 30, 2022
Funster No
MH
Swift Suntor 590RL
Do you have inverter in the MH (can't remember) then just boil a kettle or make toast then remove them but as I've said before I would just send them back as it seems to be causing so much hassle and stress for you.
My van inverter is only 300 watts, only used to power a mains TV.
I need something 12v to discharge them at home but that will discharge them at a reasonably quick rate, say 20AH, as I need to discharge each battery by about 60 amps 6 times to cycle them.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
Mar 30, 2022
Funster No
MH
Swift Suntor 590RL
Yesterday's advice from Fogstar

"Hi Ian, sounds like batteries are unbalanced and one of the batteries with the higher voltage is flooding into the other and causing issues. Charge both to 100%, let them rest for 2 hours, and then reconnect together. Check that all cables are the same length and one battery isnt being charged, or discharged faster than the other. Check that positive is coming from one of the batteries, and negative is coming from the other one and not the same battery."

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
Mar 30, 2022
Funster No
MH
Swift Suntor 590RL
Today's advice from Fogstar

"Ian Barnes Hi Ian, Ignore the percentage until the battery has learned. Don't charge to 100%, charge to 14.2V. You must get the battery to 3.5V per cell for it to learn its capacity."

Fogstars own lithium charger that I will be charging the batteries with charges at 14.4v ?

Upvote 0

Ian_H

Free Member
May 11, 2023
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 540
My van inverter is only 300 watts, only used to power a mains TV.
I need something 12v to discharge them at home but that will discharge them at a reasonably quick rate, say 20AH, as I need to discharge each battery by about 60 amps 6 times to cycle them.
I only have a 150W inverter and cycled my 230Ah with that, using a couple of incandescent lights. Won't your 300W inverter discharge at 20A OK, rated to about 25A?
Edit: Ben at Fogstar told me to discharge until the bms tripped at 10.7V. Did this 5 times and things seem to be OK.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
Mar 30, 2022
Funster No
MH
Swift Suntor 590RL
I only have a 150W inverter and cycled my 230Ah with that, using a couple of incandescent lights. Won't your 300W inverter discharge at 20A OK, rated to about 25A?
Edit: Ben at Fogstar told me to discharge until the bms tripped at 10.7V. Did this 5 times and things seem to be OK.
Yes but that means removing the inverter from the van to discharge at home as I have to charge at home.

Upvote 0

Ian_H

Free Member
May 11, 2023
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 540
Yes but that means removing the inverter from the van to discharge at home as I have to charge at home.
If too much hassle to discharge in van then maybe just buy a cheapo inverter off amazon? Less than £50 and you can plug in as much stuff as you like to control discharge. Re the trips etc I assume Ben has gone through all the settings on the batteries with you?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Seems like you’re buying a few extras to get these batteries to work… they’re working out to be expensive…🤔

Upvote 0
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
I do not think that any of my charging methods should put in enough volts for the batteries to turn themselves off.
I am sure they should all be within the voltage limits. However what things should do and what actually happens are not necessarily the same thing and it does no harm to check.

When I first installed my lithium battery and B2B in my Hymer 6 years ago I had a problem with a mystery voltage surge exceeding 20V. Enough to trigger the intervention of a BMS. I never really found out what was causing it and it only happened when I turned the engine off, at which point the voltage shot up for a few seconds before decaying back to where it belonged. My suspicion is that it was an unwanted interaction between different devices. I had made an installation mistake by connecting the B2B directly to the leisure battery without, disabling the split charge relay in the EBL. I put this electrical loop right by feeding the B2B through the EBL. This had two effects, most importantly it removed the loop but it also meant that the B2B output was isolated from the battery and other equipment as soon as the D+ signal was lost. One or other of these actions had the desired effect and the voltage surge no longer happened.

I take it that your B2B has been installed properly without creating a loop back through a split charge relay.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
Mar 30, 2022
Funster No
MH
Swift Suntor 590RL
If too much hassle to discharge in van then maybe just buy a cheapo inverter off amazon? Less than £50 and you can plug in as much stuff as you like to control discharge. Re the trips etc I assume Ben has gone through all the settings on the batteries with you?
The hassle with discharging in the van is that I then have to remove the batteries take them home to charge them then take them back to the van to discharge again, 6 times, as the van is in storage.
The only advice I've had from Ben is what I've posted above which seems to contradict each other ?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
Mar 30, 2022
Funster No
MH
Swift Suntor 590RL
I am sure they should all be within the voltage limits. However what things should do and what actually happens are not necessarily the same thing and it does no harm to check.

When I first installed my lithium battery and B2B in my Hymer 6 years ago I had a problem with a mystery voltage surge exceeding 20V. Enough to trigger the intervention of a BMS. I never really found out what was causing it and it only happened when I turned the engine off, at which point the voltage shot up for a few seconds before decaying back to where it belonged. My suspicion is that it was an unwanted interaction between different devices. I had made an installation mistake by connecting the B2B directly to the leisure battery without, disabling the split charge relay in the EBL. I put this electrical loop right by feeding the B2B through the EBL. This had two effects, most importantly it removed the loop but it also meant that the B2B output was isolated from the battery and other equipment as soon as the D+ signal was lost. One or other of these actions had the desired effect and the voltage surge no longer happened.

I take it that your B2B has been installed properly without creating a loop back through a split charge relay.
My B2B and solar were installed by Vanbitz so I assume are installed correctly.
They also moved my leisure batteries and rewired them so assume that wiring is fine also.

Upvote 0
Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
Can you buy a couple of Halogen headlight bulbs and attach cables with crocodile clips to them and the battery terminals they would draw around 4 amps, a bit of a slow discharge but would work.

Upvote 0

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
headlight - where in the UK are you? I've got a spare inverter knocking around (not sure if it's 1 or 2kw) happy for you to borrow it if your close enough - I'm in Clacton on Sea Essex

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
Mar 30, 2022
Funster No
MH
Swift Suntor 590RL
Can you buy a couple of Halogen headlight bulbs and attach cables with crocodile clips to them and the battery terminals they would draw around 4 amps, a bit of a slow discharge but would work.
Yes that would work but a very slow process considering I have 2 x 105AH batteries to cycle.
This is turning out to be a load of hassle and extra expense considering these batteries were supposedly just drop in and off you go.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
these batteries were supposedly just drop in and off you go.
Nearly all the suppliers claim that but no such thing with Lithium, they will work you will never get the best out of them, just marketing BS.

Here is a discharger.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
Mar 30, 2022
Funster No
MH
Swift Suntor 590RL
Nearly all the suppliers claim that but no such thing with Lithium, they will work you will never get the best out of them, just marketing BS.

Here is a discharger.
Thanks for that link Lenny.
I suppose an extra £43 is nothing compared to the new phone I had to get just to be able to connect to the app :ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016

Here is a discharger.
As I've said before and several others on here who have KS Energy have just dropped in and changed charging profiles on solar and charger with no ill effects and battery always charged ok. KS don't let you change settings BMS protection works so maybe less is more or they may just be a better bet (other makes without hassle are also available 😉). I'm moving my underseat battery to new van but as its smart alternator will get a B2B as the factory one is only 25a but OP already has all that fitted so should just be a drop in apart from changing charge profiles?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
Mar 30, 2022
Funster No
MH
Swift Suntor 590RL
A blunt instrument, but cheap

I'd actually looked at them, and similar, but Lenny HB has given a link to a proper 20amp discharge unit and I think that I'll get one of those.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
Mar 30, 2022
Funster No
MH
Swift Suntor 590RL
Seems like you’re buying a few extras to get these batteries to work… they’re working out to be expensive…🤔
I thought all I had to buy were the batteries and a mains home charger for an initial charge as my B2B and MPPT had lithium profiles and I don't go on hook up.
However I've had to buy a new phone to be able to connect to the app as mine wouldn't and now a discharge unit.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
Mar 30, 2022
Funster No
MH
Swift Suntor 590RL
If you have not orderd the discharge unit yet you could order one on Prime and return it within the 30 days.
Unfortunately I ordered it yesterday from the ebay link you provided.
Fogstar have just messaged me on their forum saying they will take the batteries back and cycle them for me.
Typical lol.

Upvote 0

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
Unfortunately I ordered it yesterday from the ebay link you provided.
Fogstar have just messaged me on their forum saying they will take the batteries back and cycle them for me.
Typical lol.
I would take serial numbers etc to see if they cycle or recycle:giggle:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back