Fix & Go Tyre Repair Kit (1 Viewer)

Mar 30, 2011
Funster No
Hello, We have a Burstner Solano 725 (4 ton) 2009 from new on a Fiat Ducato chassis. We are preparing for a 6 week trip to France. For the first time we have found out that our tyres are outdated and have had to replace all 4 tyres for about £700. We do not have a spare tyre, and have never had one, which is apparently normal but carry an emergency tyre repair kit by Fix & Go. This too has expired. I gather it is law to carry this in Europe, but no motorhome dealers we have contacted appear to sell it in the UK. It is an Italian make and I have found their website, but you guessed it; they are out of stock. There are other manufacturers of these tyre repair kits, but none that will do a tyre with a diameter of 27 inches. My question to the forum, is where do they purchase replacement ones from? Thanks in anticipation!

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
A battery pump with tyre snot is fine for a small puncture,nail or similar,but sidewall or major impact it’s nigh on useless
It worked on my sidewall when I hit a pothole. I was surprised but it got me to the tyre shop.

Upvote 0
Oct 28, 2023
East Linton, UK
Funster No
MH
Malibu T430 LE
Exp
Since 2006
Hello, We have a Burstner Solano 725 (4 ton) 2009 from new on a Fiat Ducato chassis. We are preparing for a 6 week trip to France. For the first time we have found out that our tyres are outdated and have had to replace all 4 tyres for about £700. We do not have a spare tyre, and have never had one, which is apparently normal but carry an emergency tyre repair kit by Fix & Go. This too has expired. I gather it is law to carry this in Europe, but no motorhome dealers we have contacted appear to sell it in the UK. It is an Italian make and I have found their website, but you guessed it; they are out of stock. There are other manufacturers of these tyre repair kits, but none that will do a tyre with a diameter of 27 inches. My question to the forum, is where do they purchase replacement ones from? Thanks in anticipation!
Just remember some breakdown companies abroad will not not come out to you if you have a flat tyre and no spare tyre to fit, as we found out on the autobahn a few years ago. Our insurance company informed us when it was fixed we would have to get a new tyre to replace the spare as otherwise if we had another puncture we would not be covered. This necessitated a trip into Bremen to purchase the tyre.

Upvote 0
Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
We now cary a complete spare wheel and tyre, when payload was an issue we only carried a tyre, which was accepted by insurance and breakdown.

Upvote 0
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
A fix and go kit will only fix a small puncture. if the tyre gets damaged from a proper blow out or from you driving on it to get to a safe place then the kit isn't going to fix it. I wouldn't risk it. You also run the risk of waiting days for a garage to source a new tyre for you.

I carry a full spare but at minimum I recommend a spare tyre so the garage can put it on immediately. Get breakdown insurance so they can recover you to a garage.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jul 26, 2018
Funster No
My tuppenceworth for what it’s worth.

These types of energency repairs will only deal with a minor puncture eg nail etc.

If there is a ‘hole’ or sidewall damage they tend to be ineffective. Anything bigger than about 5 or 6 mm and these types of kit don’t usually work (well!)

Although I appreciate you may want something to get you to the nearest tyre fitter, in France, the law is that the same types of tyres must be fitted on the same axle. I doubt this would be much of an issue in a largeish town etc but for a rural garage (or out of hours) to have the same tyre type in stock may be more of an issue and they may have to order one from local agent etc which may involve a delay.

Depending on your wheel/tyre size etc have you investigated a simple can of tyre weld or similar? Couple of 500ml cans for £20ish.

Upvote 0
Jan 2, 2024
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Peugeot boxer
Exp
Thank you for replying. I shall investigate further. As I understand it all the tyre repair kits only work as an emergency so that you can drive to safety and a tyre seller.
Much better than snot and although they are sold as temporary I've had them on dumpers ,diggers & tractors last the rest of the tyres life

Upvote 0
Jan 2, 2024
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Peugeot boxer
Exp
I always carry a large can of tyre weld,incase of a slow leak lot easier than putting the spare on and work indefinitely also leaves the spare incase lightning strikes twice also have a compressor and plug kit

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M
Mar 30, 2011
Funster No
Let me dig it out and check. It's for a Ducato. Presumably good for the size wheels fitted to vehicle from factory (225/75/R16). Will get back to you.
That is really kind, thank you so much! We are due to go to France mid May, so if it is possible sooner rather than later! I am not sure how I give you my contact details in a public forum though?

Upvote 0
Feb 24, 2020
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 1974
I have used one of these tyre repair kits, remove the nail/screw, ream the hole out and insert the tool with repair strip inserted. Worked really well tbh, only temporary though.

Brings back memories in the 60;s we used to repair tubeless tyres with this type of kit and it was legal !!!!!
Not on sidewalls though.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Thank you for replying. It is not possible now as the old tyres have been removed and disposed of. Also I am not sure I want to carry a thundering big spare wheel, tyre and jack in my motorhome. I am hardly in a position to change the tyre myself!! These kits just get you out of trouble so you can find a tyre garage to either repair of replace the damaged tyre.
All you need is the tyre.
Your breakdown man will arrange for it to be swapped for the punctured one.
They may take you to a garage or take the tyre and wheel for repair

Upvote 0
Sep 1, 2018
Strathaven
Funster No
MH
Pilote G741
Exp
Since 2018
I have used one of these tyre repair kits, remove the nail/screw, ream the hole out and insert the tool with repair strip inserted. Worked really well tbh, only temporary though.

I use these on my motorcycle , cars & 6m 3.5t Renault van , fabulous things , I pulled a mate bolt out the van tyre , fixed it no probs , they stay in until I change the tyres , never had a problem BUT I do carry a spare wheel in MoHo

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Aug 31, 2023
Gloucestershire, UK
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Caracompac
Exp
Since 2004
Not sure if this is the right place but I have a spare wheel,tyre and complete toolkit from a 2022 Boxer/Ducato for sale. Neither have ever been used. I kept them in anticipation of buying another Boxer but ended up with a Mercedes.

We are a couple of miles from Jcn 13 M5 in Gloucestershire and there are a couple of sites nearby if you want to stay in the area.
Please pm me if interested

Owen

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M
Mar 30, 2011
Funster No
Not sure if this is the right place but I have a spare wheel,tyre and complete toolkit from a 2022 Boxer/Ducato for sale. Neither have ever been used. I kept them in anticipation of buying another Boxer but ended up with a Mercedes.

We are a couple of miles from Jcn 13 M5 in Gloucestershire and there are a couple of sites nearby if you want to stay in the area.
Please pm me if interested

Owen
Hi Owen,

I live not far from you in Malvern, so could get to you easily. Could you let me know the diameter of the tyre please? The size of the tyres are 225/75R16C 121/120R and they are 27 inches in diameter. Is yours the same? How would or did you attach the wheel to the motorhome? Look forward to hearing from you.

Maddy

Upvote 0
Aug 31, 2023
Gloucestershire, UK
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Caracompac
Exp
Since 2004
Hi Owen,

I live not far from you in Malvern, so could get to you easily. Could you let me know the diameter of the tyre please? The size of the tyres are 225/75R16C 121/120R and they are 27 inches in diameter. Is yours the same? How would or did you attach the wheel to the motorhome? Look forward to hearing from you.

Maddy
Hi Maddy
It is a Vanco Camper tyre, size 225/75R16. The diameter of wheel and tyre is approx 29 inches.
It was carried on a rack underneath at the rear of the motorhome that was lowered down. Whilst I don't have the actual rack I still have the central disc that holds the wheel in place.
The toolkit,jack,towing eye etc slots under the front passenger seat.

Has your m/h got a garage?

Have tried to attach photos but without success, is there any other way that I can contact you?

Owen

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M
Mar 30, 2011
Funster No
Hi Maddy
It is a Vanco Camper tyre, size 225/75R16. The diameter of wheel and tyre is approx 29 inches.
It was carried on a rack underneath at the rear of the motorhome that was lowered down. Whilst I don't have the actual rack I still have the central disc that holds the wheel in place.

Have tried to attach photos but without success, is there any other way that I can contact you?

Hi Owen, it is the same tyre but I was told it was 27 inches! It is difficult to measure accurately. Shall we continue the conversation via email? My email address is maddypennock@aol.com
Many thanks,
Maddy

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M
Mar 30, 2011
Funster No
Hi Maddy

Owen
Hi Owen,

I thought I had seen an email from you, but it seems to have got lost in the ether. Could you email me again on maddypennock@aol.com please? If we decide that we are interested in your tyre and wheel, could you indicate how much you would like for it?

Many thanks,
Maddy

Upvote 0
Aug 31, 2023
Gloucestershire, UK
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Caracompac
Exp
Since 2004
Hi Owen,

I thought I had seen an email from you, but it seems to have got lost in the ether. Could you email me again on maddypennock@aol.com please? If we decide that we are interested in your tyre and wheel, could you indicate how much you would like for it?

Many thanks,
Maddy
Hi Maddy,
Have just sent you another e mail.Owen

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread