Fix & Go Tyre Repair Kit (1 Viewer)

Mar 30, 2011
Funster No
Hello, We have a Burstner Solano 725 (4 ton) 2009 from new on a Fiat Ducato chassis. We are preparing for a 6 week trip to France. For the first time we have found out that our tyres are outdated and have had to replace all 4 tyres for about £700. We do not have a spare tyre, and have never had one, which is apparently normal but carry an emergency tyre repair kit by Fix & Go. This too has expired. I gather it is law to carry this in Europe, but no motorhome dealers we have contacted appear to sell it in the UK. It is an Italian make and I have found their website, but you guessed it; they are out of stock. There are other manufacturers of these tyre repair kits, but none that will do a tyre with a diameter of 27 inches. My question to the forum, is where do they purchase replacement ones from? Thanks in anticipation!

May 11, 2022
Castle Bromwich, Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
Peugeot boxer
Exp
Started self build December 2020, finished April 2022
I have used one of these tyre repair kits, remove the nail/screw, ream the hole out and insert the tool with repair strip inserted. Worked really well tbh, only temporary though.

Upvote 0
Sep 29, 2007
Wantage, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Motorhoming since 2006, 30 years tent camping in Africa
I have used one of these tyre repair kits, remove the nail/screw, ream the hole out and insert the tool with repair strip inserted. Worked really well tbh, only temporary though.

I grew up on a farm in South Africa where punctures were a regular thing due to a species of thornbush. My family has repaired literally hundreds of punctures with these. I wouldn’t be without a kit.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M
Mar 30, 2011
Funster No
Upvote 0
OP
OP
M
Mar 30, 2011
Funster No

Thank you for replying. I shall investigate further. As I understand it all the tyre repair kits only work as an emergency so that you can drive to safety and a tyre seller.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M
Mar 30, 2011
Funster No
I grew up on a farm in South Africa where punctures were a regular thing due to a species of thornbush. My family has repaired literally hundreds of punctures with these. I wouldn’t be without a kit.
Thank you for replying. I have found this on Amazon, but cannot work out whether it would be appropriate for 27 inch diameter tyres: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07BBZWSDD/?tag=mhf04-21

Upvote 0
Nov 15, 2023
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
We tried a fair few of these kits at our IAM motorcycle club, we bought various kits, strips plugs etc and put various size holes in a tyre, as with everything it takes practice, we found you needed to have an air supply into the tyre for best results, the hole has to be made bigger to get the plug in, we had very good results and have tested it in a few real situations with excellent success, the last time was at lake Bala with a small bolt in the tyre, someone passing by stopped and said he’d been using the kits on hgvs for years, which was quite scary I thought 😳 obviously no good for a blow out but if used properly they can work, I’m fortunate to have a full size spare in the car and MOHO but still carry a repair kit as sometimes it’s safer to repair then drive somewhere safer to change it, hopefully if I have it I won’t need it.

Upvote 0
May 11, 2022
Castle Bromwich, Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
Peugeot boxer
Exp
Started self build December 2020, finished April 2022
Thank you for replying. I shall investigate further. As I understand it all the tyre repair kits only work as an emergency so that you can drive to safety and a tyre seller.
No problem, it's user beware I suppose, I let mine cure for an hour before I filled the tyre. Tbh I have seen these used in tyre puncture repair shops for years and there was no mention of limited use. Mine was on the car for around 2 months, low speed city commute. It's now been swapped for a new tyre.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M
Mar 30, 2011
Funster No
We tried a fair few of these kits at our IAM motorcycle club, we bought various kits, strips plugs etc and put various size holes in a tyre, as with everything it takes practice, we found you needed to have an air supply into the tyre for best results, the hole has to be made bigger to get the plug in, we had very good results and have tested it in a few real situations with excellent success, the last time was at lake Bala with a small bolt in the tyre, someone passing by stopped and said he’d been using the kits on hgvs for years, which was quite scary I thought 😳 obviously no good for a blow out but if used properly they can work, I’m fortunate to have a full size spare in the car and MOHO but still carry a repair kit as sometimes it’s safer to repair then drive somewhere safer to change it, hopefully if I have it I won’t need it.
Thank you for replying. I must admit I had no idea they expired or indeed that tyres expired! Like you I want it in the vehicle in the hope I never need it!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M
Mar 30, 2011
Funster No
Why not keep one of your tyres as a spare so long as tread is OK and it's in good condition. Even if it's old just like a repair kit it will get you home or to a site so you can sort a replacement.
Thank you for replying. It is not possible now as the old tyres have been removed and disposed of. Also I am not sure I want to carry a thundering big spare wheel, tyre and jack in my motorhome. I am hardly in a position to change the tyre myself!! These kits just get you out of trouble so you can find a tyre garage to either repair of replace the damaged tyre.

Upvote 0

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Only a spare got me away from this failure.
IMG_9121.jpeg

IMG_9124.jpeg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M
Mar 30, 2011
Funster No
I've just removed our compressor/glue repair kit from our Burstner that we purchased new in 2022 as I have fitted a spare wheel. If you are happy to pay the postage you can have it for free but as others have said, won't fix more than a pinhole puncture.
Yes I would be interested! What make is it? What size tyres is it designed for. What is the expiratory date? Any ideas of postal costs? Than you!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back