First time MH owner - help! (1 Viewer)

May 19, 2024
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Comanche
Hi - we have just bought an Auto Trail Comanche 2017 with levelling, air suspension, 100W solar and all the good extras. Drives superbly BUT I notice there is nothing in the books about how to actually set it up once you get to where you want to stay. For example, from the control panel above the door I see the leisure batteries are charged from the solar panel, the EC500 unit appears to be doing it's job but when I am parked, the fridge panel just blinks and none of the 12v sockets in the habitation area work. Do I have to be connected to mains in order for these to work? We had zero handover from the dealer unfortunately so we are well and truly in the dark. I like to consider myself fairly intelligent as a seasoned IT engineer but I have to say that the manuals supplied with the vehicle don't really go very far past driving and maintaining it. Any idiots guides on how to use it off solar would be much appreciated. I love the MH but frustration is starting to creep in and I don't want to end up resenting it just for not knowing what to do and how to do it.

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
No...you won't get power from.your "house" 3 pin sockets unless you are plugged in to ehu. (Or an inverter is fitted)

The black box you mention is just an extension form the 12v (cigarette type) sockets, if you look under it you should see them.

When you say 12v in hab area don't work....you dont have the engine running do you?(which will turn off thr power) Very rare for hab 12v sockets not to work unless a fuse that I assume you have checked in the dc side of the panel. Or maybe the black switch marked DC outlets turns them On.

Fridge won't work on leccy unless plugged in to ehu and will flash to tell you to change to gas or plug in (or start the engine).

Is that silver box a small inverter ? Wired to the big grey box with the black switches panel on it ? Looks to me someone may have wired an inverter to it a d then had the black switches to use when off grid via an inverter ...tho that thing I see in the pic is only 80w I think

Upvote 0
Jan 23, 2016
Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 660SP
Exp
25 years
Book yourself onto a Fun meet and have Open House.

You'll meet a lot of people, and people with all sorts of knowledge.

Throw a little money at it and book an hour with a mechanic at somewhere reputable for a consultation.

Checkout VanBitz on here;

They have an in-house campsite.

Also;

RV Installations

Campsite nearby;

Video everything you're shown!

Upvote 0

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
I've just thought...if you plug in to ehu on your drive (a normal house 3 pin plug on an extension will do for now) then see what works...if it all magically comes on then start looking at those switches and maaaaybe and inverter somewhere

Upvote 0
OP
OP
MrPeteUK
May 19, 2024
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Comanche
If you were in Cardiff I could run through it all with you, itā€™s all very similar to mine. Actually if you wanted to run up to Bridgend I could meet you there?
Ah that's very kind! It's all go here - but should have some free time next weekend if you are free for an hour or so? Bridgend would work, Sarn Parc service area?

Upvote 0
Jan 23, 2016
Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 660SP
Exp
25 years
If you were in Cardiff I could run through it all with you, itā€™s all very similar to mine. Actually if you wanted to run up to Bridgend I could meet you there?

Sarn Services is good;

Sarn Park services is a motorway service station on the M4 motorway in Bridgend County Borough, Wales. It is situated at junction 36 of the motorway, north of the town of Bridgend, and is owned by Welcome Break. Bridgend Designer Outlet is on the opposite side of the motorway.

Time limited but refreshments available and you can also move over to the Designer Outlet and the females can be good Funsters and go shopping! :cool:

Upvote 0
May 10, 2023
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail
Exp
Since 2002
I don't know if you have already seen it MrPeteUK but here is a handover video for a Commanche. It's a later model than yours but there are probably similarities:

Also, we have a 2017 Auto-Trail, not the same model but, again, there will probably be similarities in fittings and equipment so may be able to answer any queries you have.

Upvote 0
Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
Ah that's very kind! It's all go here - but should have some free time next weekend if you are free for an hour or so? Bridgend would work, Sarn Parc service area?
I have a lockup on Brackla trading estate just two minutes from J36. Easy to park and access to electricity. Iā€™ll message you the address and my phone number. šŸ‘

Upvote 0
May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
Kettle on
Relax.
Simples!

I should have missed the fact that the moment the hob is lit a kettle is placed on it and boiled mostly. But I thought everyone just were born with this knowledge in the motorhoming fraternity. Amount of times I am faffing fixing something thats broken once I have setup on camp with mug in hand is something else.

I should add the following is usually done too:
1/ Antenna app on phone to find the nearest Freeview antenna (and H or V orientation). Point the antenna in roughly that direction and then retune TV (takes 10 mins on our Freeview TV) (Done whilst drinking coffee).
2/ Speedtest on wifi. If really bad switch sim, or turn modem to 3g only mode to "improve things" (Only needed if you have wifi).
3/ Silver screen put on front windscreen if at a campsite (interior blinds if at a parkup for night).

Followed by Awning/BBQ setup if it is above 10 celcius, or looking to be below 0. We make a call on if to use the vans "normal" awning, the driveaway one dependant on how muddy the weather is -> we use a driveaway awning if we there for > 3 nights and likely to be muddy and doing walking to avoid mud coming in van. Summer we setup normal awning, camp chairs, a table and a BBQ typically within 10 mins of arrival. TV is usually tuned by time we've finished the coffee and have the Awning, chairs, done and then turned off (we tune in in case we want to watch something we don't always even watch it).

Upvote 0
Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Ci Coachbuilt
Exp
Since September 2018
I should have missed the fact that the moment the hob is lit a kettle is placed on it and boiled mostly. But I thought everyone just were born with this knowledge in the motorhoming fraternity. Amount of times I am faffing fixing something thats broken once I have setup on camp with mug in hand is something else.

I should add the following is usually done too:
1/ Antenna app on phone to find the nearest Freeview antenna (and H or V orientation). Point the antenna in roughly that direction and then retune TV (takes 10 mins on our Freeview TV) (Done whilst drinking coffee).
2/ Speedtest on wifi. If really bad switch sim, or turn modem to 3g only mode to "improve things" (Only needed if you have wifi).
3/ Silver screen put on front windscreen if at a campsite (interior blinds if at a parkup for night).

Followed by Awning/BBQ setup if it is above 10 celcius, or looking to be below 0. We make a call on if to use the vans "normal" awning, the driveaway one dependant on how muddy the weather is -> we use a driveaway awning if we there for > 3 nights and likely to be muddy and doing walking to avoid mud coming in van. Summer we setup normal awning, camp chairs, a table and a BBQ typically within 10 mins of arrival. TV is usually tuned by time we've finished the coffee and have the Awning, chairs, done and then turned off (we tune in in case we want to watch something we don't always even watch it).
All very plausible. But after the first cup of tea, then it's onto the bottle opener and Beer!!!!!
And then, and only then, can such further set-up procedures be undertaken.
No arguing........its the law!
:dance2::cool::drinks:

Upvote 0
Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
As a FYI for the fridge:
Depending on age and make and model the normal default setting is:

If EHU is available the fridge will run on 240v electricity.
If no 240v electricity then the next default setting is gas.
If no 240v or gas then it will run on 12v electricity, but that tends to be only a cooler, not a fridge.

If you are driving, the fridge will keep cool on 12v.
When you stop, after 15 mins, the gas will start, unless 240v available

(The reason for the 15 min 'wait' between engine off and gas starting is to ensure than when refueling in a petrol station the gas pilot light does not come on automatically)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
My sympathies with what sounds like a dreadful hand over.
I would have expected a one hour hand over explaining how it all works.

Do you have any idea who the previous owner was ?
As if you can contact them it would be worth a visit.

Otherwise you need to meet up with someone with a similar van who can explain what goes where and how it works, even if it means travelling across the country to talk to them.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
MrPeteUK
May 19, 2024
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Comanche
My sympathies with what sounds like a dreadful hand over.
I would have expected a one hour hand over explaining how it all works.

Do you have any idea who the previous owner was ?
As if you can contact them it would be worth a visit.

Otherwise you need to meet up with someone with a similar van who can explain what goes where and how it works, even if it means travelling across the country to talk to them.
So yes, it was delivered from Scotland (we did view it beforehand, saw everything working including the habitation air-conditioning) but he had a train to catch immediately, hence my frustration and silly questions ā˜ŗļø but I'm in the know about the 240v and EHU now so getting there slowly. I know the name of the previous owner but not tried contacting them yet...

Upvote 0
Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Our first, joint buy, brand new, arrangement made for collection and handover, got to dealers to be told the guy who normally did handover didn't work on a Saturday :confused: sales guy did his best and off we tootled to a nearby campsite, not my first van but much more sophisticated than the ones i had had. We muddled through, I read all the books and all was good.
Manufacturers were not amused.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Razamataz

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 18, 2018
Dunfermline, Fife, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia I7400plus
Exp
Since March 2018
So yes, it was delivered from Scotland (we did view it beforehand, saw everything working including the habitation air-conditioning) but he had a train to catch immediately, hence my frustration and silly questions ā˜ŗļø but I'm in the know about the 240v and EHU now so getting there slowly. I know the name of the previous owner but not tried contacting them yet...
I would have been in contact with him ā€¦. Right off the bat.
Getting all information from the horseā€™s mouthšŸ‘šŸ‘Œ

Upvote 0

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
There seems to be a few people offering to meet up and help over the BH weekend ..... Is this going to turn into a Rally ...?? šŸ˜šŸ˜šŸ˜šŸ˜

Upvote 0
OP
OP
MrPeteUK
May 19, 2024
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Comanche
Upvote 0
OP
OP
MrPeteUK
May 19, 2024
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Comanche
Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
All very plausible. But after the first cup of tea, then it's onto the bottle opener and Beer!!!!!
And then, and only then, can such further set-up procedures be undertaken.
No arguing........its the law!
:dance2::cool::drinks:
Don't offer biscuits or WESTY66 will turn up and you'll never get rid of him! šŸ˜†

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back