First time in France since Brexit (1 Viewer)

Oct 16, 2019
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Its a while since we have been to France but planning a month this September.

With the Pet Passport, do you need one or just the Animal Health certificate?

Does your pet need a blood test a month after the rabies jab as before?

Is it worth getting a Crit Air sticker? Our van will be a Euro 5 I think

Not sure where to go yet, but thinking Alsace way

TIA

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
For the Crit'Air, I would say get one, even if you don't plan on going through areas that need one. I say this because you could find yourself on an unexpected detour. Or you may need to travel into a city to get a repair or part for your MH. They're very cheap to buy and last forever. And, very easy to order. Just make sure you get one from the official site :)

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
You can't get a pet passport in the UK. You have to get an animal health certificate, rabies jab (and worming for dogs?) before you go.

While they're over there, some people are getting pet passports. Whether EU vets can issue them to UK pets is a grey area. But once you have one, your pet can travel without a heath certificate. But I think the rabies jab still needs renewing, and that can only be done in the EU. If you're a frequent traveller, it could be worth getting a passport.

On return, I think dogs need another worming tablet?

Baxter didn't require worming.
PXL_20230919_160355037.jpg

OP
OP
Ianbenny
Oct 16, 2019
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Thanks for the replies.
I was familiar with the pre brexit pet passport as we had a house in Brittany for many years. Then you had to have wormer and flea treatment initially 24-48 hours before travel which was restrictive
You can't get a pet passport in the UK. You have to get an animal health certificate
This is what is confusing me - so only an AHC is now used?

OP
OP
Ianbenny
Oct 16, 2019
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
For the Crit'Air, I would say get one, even if you don't plan on going through areas that need one. I say this because you could find yourself on an unexpected detour. Or you may need to travel into a city to get a repair or part for your MH. They're very cheap to buy and last forever. And, very easy to order. Just make sure you get one from the official site :)
So does it matter that my van is Euro5 not 6 and does this cause restrictions or costs such as ULEZ here. I know I am being thick, but I have no experience of these charges up here in sunny Co Durham and have no wish to go into London currently with the van for instance

JRT

Feb 28, 2023
The former North Riding of Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Nearly did....but...
Exp
40 years caravanning.
Thanks for the replies.
I was familiar with the pre brexit pet passport as we had a house in Brittany for many years. Then you had to have wormer and flea treatment initially 24-48 hours before travel which was restrictive

This is what is confusing me - so only an AHC is now used?

If simply travelling to the EU and back to the UK you now only need the Animal Health Certificate.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
So does it matter that my van is Euro5 not 6 and does this cause restrictions or costs such as ULEZ here. I know I am being thick, but I have no experience of these charges up here in sunny Co Durham and have no wish to go into London currently with the van for instance

I don't know about the UK, as I don't live there, but for France I think it's better to have one than not. Saves a lot of 'what ifs' and doesn't cost much :)

OP
OP
Ianbenny
Oct 16, 2019
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
If simply travelling to the EU and back to the UK you now only need the Animal Health Certificate.
Do you still need the blood test after the rabies jab?
I think it doesnt according to the .gov site

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ianbenny
Oct 16, 2019
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
I don't know about the UK, as I don't live there, but for France I think it's better to have one than not. Saves a lot of 'what ifs' and doesn't cost much :)
Thats now got me baffled :giggle: :giggle:

JRT

Feb 28, 2023
Funster No
MH
Nearly did....but...
Exp
40 years caravanning.
Do you still need the blood test after the rabies jab?

Our dogs rabies jab has never expired so TBH I'm not 100% sure what happens after a first dose. But I don't believe so. There was a period where it was being suggested that it was a requirement but this didn't come to fruition I don't believe.

A call to any vet that issues a AHC will give you a definitive answer.

OP
OP
Ianbenny
Oct 16, 2019
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Our dogs rabies jab has never expired so TBH I'm not 100% sure what happens after a first dose. But I don't believe so. There was a period where it was being suggested that it was a requirement but this didn't come to fruition I don't believe.

A call to any vet that issues a AHC will give you a definitive answer.
When we had our passport for the old dog, pre brexit you had to have a blood test 28 days after the rabies jab. If it did npt show enough antibodies it had to be re jabbed and re blood tested,
Hopefully the blood test is not required now.
Our current dog will need a rabies jab as we have never been abroad since 2015
Phone vets tomorrow
Thanks

JRT

Feb 28, 2023
Funster No
MH
Nearly did....but...
Exp
40 years caravanning.
When we had our passport for the old dog, pre brexit you had to have a blood test 28 days after the rabies jab. If it did npt show enough antibodies it had to be re jabbed and re blood tested,
Hopefully the blood test is not required now.
Our current dog will need a rabies jab as we have never been abroad since 2015
Phone vets tomorrow
Thanks

There was a period leading up to 'you know what' in 2019 where it was looking like a titre test was going to be required depending on the terms of our exit. We had one done at considerable cost and in the end it was money wasted, our vet was embarrassed as our dogs rabies vaccine was completely up to date.

His first visit to the EU was in 2014 and he got his pet passport then and didn't have a titre test just a rabies jab so I'm guessing it was some considerable time ago you last had a pet passport.

Post back what the vet says for the benefit of the forum. 👍

JRT

Feb 28, 2023
Funster No
MH
Nearly did....but...
Exp
40 years caravanning.
Don't forget that AHC only lasts 3 months not as before Brexit , the old pet passport for 3 years

Actually it's valid for four months........

Which doesn't of course tally with the maximum time the owners would be allowed to stay in the EU.

It cannot even be used for return trips within those four months. A new one is needed for each trip.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
JRT, if you intend only one journey across a year then probably stick with using the cheaper AHC providers. You still need to get worming done within a 120 - 24 hour window before returning and the AHC stamped by a vet to prove it.

If you think you might travel more often, you can pop over the border to Belgium and get an EU pet passport. New rabies jab will have to be done and entered. Get a 3 year jab and then you only have to get the rabies redone in 3 years but must be in the EU. You still need to get worming done every return to UK and stamped in PP.

You need the AHC first trip though. We got both our AHC and our new PP stamped by vet at worming for return, just in case any paperwork problems.

JRT

Feb 28, 2023
Funster No
MH
Nearly did....but...
Exp
40 years caravanning.

JRT, if you intend only one journey across a year then probably stick with using the cheaper AHC providers. You still need to get worming done within a 120 - 24 hour window before returning and the AHC stamped by a vet to prove it.

If you think you might travel more often, you can pop over the border to Belgium and get an EU pet passport. New rabies jab will have to be done and entered. Get a 3 year jab and then you only have to get the rabies redone in 3 years but must be in the EU. You still need to get worming done every return to UK and stamped in PP.

You need the AHC first trip though. We got both our AHC and our new PP stamped by vet at worming for return, just in case any paperwork problems.

Cheers for that, but I'm not sure why you addressed that to me.

Aug 15, 2022
Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
1 year and a bit
Crit air sticker easy to do on line. Number 2 yellow for me

Dog must have rabies jab in UK before travel, there are time restrictions and the animal health certificate can be issued after that

Must have a French worming tablet 48 hrs - 72 hrs before coming home.

Ask your vet, ours was really helpful.

Costed, £68 rabies jab and £150 for the AHC

Fiver ish, for the Crit air

JRT

Feb 28, 2023
Funster No
MH
Nearly did....but...
Exp
40 years caravanning.
One thing to check is that on return to the UK is that the French vet has entered the worming treatment correctly on the Animal Health certificate.

The first year we travelled after 'you know what' the young French Vet entered the drug name and dose in the section for 'time and date' section. This is a crucial bit of info. for coming back. I had to return to the practice and get them to alter it and after some 'persuasion' get her to sign the alteration again.

When I got to Coquelles the Shuttle staff checking AHC's confirmed that had I not insisted we would have been declined transit untill our dog was treated again and the requisite period had elapsed.

OP
OP
Ianbenny
Oct 16, 2019
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
There was a period leading up to 'you know what' in 2019 where it was looking like a titre test was going to be required depending on the terms of our exit. We had one done at considerable cost and in the end it was money wasted, our vet was embarrassed as our dogs rabies vaccine was completely up to date.

His first visit to the EU was in 2014 and he got his pet passport then and didn't have a titre test just a rabies jab so I'm guessing it was some considerable time ago you last had a pet passport.

Post back what the vet says for the benefit of the forum. 👍
Yes it was 2006 :rolleyes:
He went until 2015 when he was too old to go - he filled the first passport and was well throughhis second
I will let you know

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back