Firestick for TV - how much Mb does it use? (1 Viewer)

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
4 years ago I bought a Fire TV stick for the TV in the motorhome when it was cheap in an Amazon sale. Only now have I got round to fitting and setting it up. What decided me to do so is the IQ Go SIM with an annual subscription of £20 per year and then just buy data top ups when you wanted to. You can buy a 100GB of data which lasts for 30 days and it can be roam in all EU countries. That seemed a good deal. And we can put the SIM into our Huawei Mifi which is wired to a 4G roof top aerial.

I have set the Fire stick to run on SD, not HD. My question is how much data will this use per hour on average please?

Many thanks for your answers.

May 7, 2011
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Kontiki 669
Exp
Since 2010
It’s usually about a Gb an hour as long as you set each app to standard definition,but you cannot do that with ITVx,so like others say it gobbles data,and it’s a bit of a clunky app.

BikerGraham

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 19, 2021
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Funster No
MH
Autograph 75-2
Exp
camping and caravanning since a kid. New to motorhomes
Depends what app you are using as Lenny says earlier.

I set mine to the lowest definition and have noticed that it’s around 700mb (0.7Gb) per hour. But ITVX can be 2 to almost 3 Gb an hour. So when abroad are very careful as to what app we use.

OP
OP
peterc10
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I don’t recall charging htz only setting it to 720p. Not sure why but some of the apps on the fire stick use more data than others.
I may have got the units wrong. I think it is the refresh rate of the picture. The slower it is the more jerky the movement on the screen is. The choice is 50 or 60 in both SD and HD.

Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
4 years ago I bought a Fire TV stick for the TV in the motorhome when it was cheap in an Amazon sale. Only now have I got round to fitting and setting it up. What decided me to do so is the IQ Go SIM with an annual subscription of £20 per year and then just buy data top ups when you wanted to. You can buy a 100GB of data which lasts for 30 days and it can be roam in all EU countries. That seemed a good deal. And we can put the SIM into our Huawei Mifi which is wired to a 4G roof top aerial.

I have set the Fire stick to run on SD, not HD. My question is how much data will this use per hour on average please?

Many thanks for your answers.

Just be aware Peter that this is a phone data plan so won’t work as well as a mobile data service. 😉

Feb 12, 2018
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 600SL
Exp
Since 2017
Just be aware Peter that this is a phone data plan so won’t work as well as a mobile data service. 😉

IQ Mobile offer various SIM options using the EE network in the UK. Their “IQ Go” SIM is data only and specifically offered for use in applications such as a motorhome router. There are no data usage limitations when EU roaming.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 24, 2018
France
Funster No
MH
2001 Hymer B544
Exp
Since 1992
We just plugged in the Firestick from our house and haven’t changed any settings. I use a 150GB Free (that’s the name of the company) SIM in France for €20 a month.
We’ve never run out of data.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
As said you can reduce the quality on the firestick, but also in each app. Some settings are well hidden. Other apps don’t allow it, and you are stuck with high quality and eating data. ITV X is like that, where the previous ITV app was adjustable.

Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
We are in France at the moment using an IQ data sim in a Huawei router. £20 per month for 100 gb. Used it all over France works fine even where we are out in the sticks.

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
Using ours most evenings not bothered changing from HD and use anything from 5 to 9 GB an evening. We use a Tiekom 400gb sim costs €43.90 per month😊
Why are you smiling? I'd be very sad playing that amount per month for limited WiFi.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Why are you smiling? I'd be very sad playing that amount per month for limited WiFi.
It’s unlimited in that fact that I can use it for what I want and not paying the exorbitant cost of a starlink system😊😊😊

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
All these comments about the Apps and setting and data usage, it just confirms why we keep using our dish. I agree the days of the dishes are like the days of cameras but by what I read and experience I’m happy due to ease of use to keep enjoying our dish. We continue to enjoy Intelsat in Spain which is great, long may it continue. We have unlimited data via Starlink, but for ease of use it has to be the dish for now.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back