Filming your travels (2 Viewers)

Feb 19, 2022
Anywhere
Funster No
MH
AUTO-TRAIL 740S
Exp
I know I'm a laggard. And a cheapskate. Been thinking of a GoPro or similar for years. But they cost a lot and then what do you do with all that footage.
But just driving around north and west Scotland I have been thinking repeatedly that, wow, I'd love to share this with those of the family missing out.
So, what do you do with all that footage? And how do you share such large files, repeatedly?

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
The thing is that to make an "interesting" travel video takes an awful lot of effort.
A linear dashcam video is not going to do it.

You need to edit, to have different camera view points, cutaways and a storyline.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I know I'm a laggard. And a cheapskate. Been thinking of a GoPro or similar for years. But they cost a lot and then what do you do with all that footage.
But just driving around north and west Scotland I have been thinking repeatedly that, wow, I'd love to share this with those of the family missing out.
So, what do you do with all that footage? And how do you share such large files, repeatedly?
Upload it to YouTube. You will need a sim card with plenty of data but they are not expensive for use in the UK. You also need some video editing software. It doesn't need to be anything special. I use a free one called YouCut Video Editor on my Android tablet. It is very basic but is good enough for my short clips. If you want something better you may have to look at something which isn't free.

This guy uses Power Director to make his GoPro videos but it is Windows only.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Got around 8-9 years worth of travels in our motorhome stored on computer hard drives (and backed up on external drives)!

Why?:unsure:

Apart from "who the hell knows" you just never know when someone will ask "have you travelled this route". Still waiting on the first time though!:RollEyes:

OP
OP
BillWeb
Feb 19, 2022
Anywhere
Funster No
MH
AUTO-TRAIL 740S
Exp
I've used my dash cam to video parts of my trips, mostly arrival at sites/aires, interspersed with stills from my camera. Examples can be found HERE
That was to be my next question - using the dash cam.
But I thought they were dash fixtures. In your example some video is from the dash but most are hand-held.
More info would be great.

Deleted User
Back in the day when we visited friends, if the photos came out we asked for our coats. 😳

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I have a few cheap ish (£60) Chinese gopro type cameras and a Gopro Hero 10 (cost around £300l. The GP10 has fantastic picture quality but it a faff: battery life is poor, it heats up too much and is not intuitive to use. The Chinese ones are far better value for money, last longer between charges and easier to use IMHO.

Deleted User
Have you an old mobile phone you could use?

Dec 19, 2020
The salty bit of Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017
I download the day's dash cam footage files each travelling day to my MacBook, retaining those of interest. When back home I edit and stick all the footage and stills in iMovie. I do use my bridge camera ( Canon Powershot SX30) for a few clips. Haven't done last year's month in the Cairngorms yet!

OP
OP
BillWeb
Feb 19, 2022
Anywhere
Funster No
MH
AUTO-TRAIL 740S
Exp
So, dash cams must range in quality of their images. Which are better?

Jan 25, 2013
Dorchester, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Sad former owner
Exp
Since 1991
You might think family and friends would like to see it but.......
I think the ultimate tourist torture must be being a family member of a Japanese tourist who inflicts their photographs on their victims; just saying!:LOL::LOL::LOL::groan::groan::groan:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back