Fiat MH's fuel cut off switch great tip !!!!!! (4 Viewers)

Jun 12, 2022
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Good morning to you all. What a beautiful day :cool: .

I was at a customers house yesterday they have a Malibu on a Fiat chassis. As we have a Hymer on the Fiat chassis he gave me a great tip. They hit a pothole last week and it cut the fuel off immediately. It is designed for accidents. Now he knew about this switch and was able to reset it by pressing a button, which on his van is under the footwell on the passenger side (NS). His engine is the 2.3, we have the 3.0, so just asking do you know if the 3.0 has this switch as well ?? I have looked in the same area but cant see it. If you do have one of these switches and now you know about it, it can save you hours being stuck on the side of the road waiting for breakdown to arrive. Hope this of use to some of you. :drinks:

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
On older vans it was mounted on the bulk head accessed under bonnet in line with drivers right hand approximately. Quite high and behind the engine battery.
Someone should be along that has the 3.0 and advise better.

Screenshot_20240510-115629.png

Upvote 0
Nov 8, 2019
Surrey
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2017
Type in ‘fuel cut off switch’ into search and you’ll find various threads discussing this, one may have your answer without having to wait for a reply.
I recall reading some discussions but thanks for reminding me as I’d completely forgotten about it and, as you say, knowing about it could save hours

Upvote 0
Dec 31, 2017
South East
Funster No
MH
Burstner T690G
Exp
Caravanner 40 years. Motorhome 8
We should be very careful that we understand Roadside Assistance. Last year we hit an obstruction in the centre lane of the M25. There was no damage to the vehicle but the fuel cut out button operated. I managed to get the vehicle to the hard shoulder in a very vunerable position. I phoned Green Flag and I was told that they would not help me as it was an accident and I should contact my insurance company. They would only respond to a vehicle BREAKDOWN. We eventually found the cut out button with the help of the Fiat manual and the help of others.

I suggest that in the case mentioned above they do not mention that they have hit a pothole.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
Jun 12, 2022
Funster No
MH
Hymer
We should be very careful that we understand Roadside Assistance. Last year we hit an obstruction in the centre lane of the M25. There was no damage to the vehicle but the fuel cut out button operated. I managed to get the vehicle to the hard shoulder in a very vunerable position. I phoned Green Flag and I was told that they would not help me as it was an accident and I should contact my insurance company. They would only respond to a vehicle BREAKDOWN. We eventually found the cut out button with the help of the Fiat manual and the help of others.

I suggest that in the case mentioned above they do not mention that they have hit a pothole.
Great advice (y)

Upvote 0
Aug 9, 2020
Funster No
MH
Wildax
Exp
~20 years
I remember the fuel cutoff triggering on my friend's Triumph Stag, back in the mid 80s. Took us a little head scratching until we worked it out.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Dec 19, 2020
The salty bit of Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017
Happened to me the year before last in mid France. Couldn't find it on first attempt.. Phoned dealers who confirmed its expected position. Could just about reach it behind the A class panelling. It's the hour of beeping hazards that drove me nuts.

Upvote 0
Jan 21, 2015
Stoke on Trent
Funster No
MH
Lo-line Coachbuilt
Exp
Just Starting Fifth Year
I assume that the Peugeot variants have one fitted. Does anyone know where it is fitted on a 2015 model ? TIA. Pete.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Oct 10, 2018
Bracklesham Bay, West Sussex
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Pete D. The fuel cut off switch is inside the cab at the top of the left hand side footwell kick panel on my 2015 Peugeot , a large rubber reset button . (although the Peugeot Van hand book shows it on the right hand side,page 130 )

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jan 21, 2015
Stoke on Trent
Funster No
MH
Lo-line Coachbuilt
Exp
Just Starting Fifth Year
Pete D. The fuel cut off switch is inside the cab at the top of the left hand side footwell kick panel on my 2015 Peugeot , a large rubber reset button . (although the Peugeot Van hand book shows it on the right hand side,page 130 )
GeoffnDee, thanks for the quick response. I think I have found it, also on the left hand side. It has a large rubber button with what looks like a small LED next to it. I've attached a picture, can you confirm that I have the right unit. Also, good information from the original poster which could be useful for people in the future. Pete.
20240515_102657.jpg

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
tried to find it on our 1999/2000 Fiat Ducato 2.8TDi Left hand drive.

Never did
They do hide them well, Daughter had a Ford Kia, I had a man doing some work on it for her, wouldn't start after he dropped it down off the jacks. Two days later I found out what the problem was, the switch was behind a side panel no visible sight of it at all.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2020
Funster No
MH
SWIFT KONTIKI 649
Exp
SINCE 1980
We had it happen to us too after we hit a pothole a couple of years ago. While I was searching through all of the vehicle literature, my wife went online onto YouTube and found a video in no time showing how to do it. Ours is the 2.3 engine.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

• Peel
Back