Fiat ducato air bag warning light is on…..AGAIN. (1 Viewer)

Dec 18, 2011
Hull
Funster No
MH
Autotrail 634
Exp
Since 2006
For the 3rd time in less than 12 months the air bag warning light is back on the dash.The last time was 6 weeks ago when it cost me £88 with crashdata to have the module reprogrammed.I did ask the question then why has it gone again.One of the replies it could be high voltage when starting the engine.So every time since the last replacement i have turned the ignition to on and waited until the various lights went off before cranking the engine.This morning i only tuned the ignition on to check mu LPG levels and almost immediately the air bag light came on.
I am at a loss what to do next.I cant keep paying £88 God knows how many times.Has anyone please got/had this problem and found out a reliable fix?Any help greatly appreciated.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
As I said before, have you tried wriggling the wires under the seat or if there is connecters see that they are fully pushed together, it happens on my Renault about every 1000 miles ,a quick wriggle and it goes off for another thousand, especially if you have seats that turn round, has the wire got fast somewhere?

Upvote 1
OP
OP
Camper634
Dec 18, 2011
Hull
Funster No
MH
Autotrail 634
Exp
Since 2006
I checked all that out the first time it happened and found nothing amiss.If i send the module away again I will put it back and it will be ok and the fault lights will be off.I don't store anything under the seats and don't swivel them incase that was a factor.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Had mine reset by crash data two weeks ago, put it back in all OK then on Thursday checking the van out before mot on Friday flipping light is back with the same error code. Was supossed to be on a ferry tomorrow.
Sent it back to Crash Data yesterday but postal strike so they won't get it until Monday. All ready put our trip back two weeks because of when it first went wrong.

Upvote 0
Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
My mechanic recommends sending it to a place in Sheffield. Not sure if you guys may have better luck with them? I haven't sent mine off yet.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Sorry Camper634 to hear about yet another passenger airbag sensor going wrong, for no apparent reason.
I was sat in the dealership having a cam belt change & Mot last week, nice lady was sat beside me having her vans hab check & engine service. I felt sorry for her, as the 1st thing identified as a problem was her fridge gas burner, she was told this could be replaced for £220 parts & labour, then a short time later, she was asked about her passenger airbag warning light being on, and did she know about it, to which she said yes. She was then advised that a replacement sensor unit would be £120, plus £90 labour, plus VAT to replace.
I had a word in her ear at that point, told her to get husband to take the sensor out and send off to Crashdata, which she did. Got me wondering if the dealers just sent all the defective units off to Crashdata for reprogramming then sold them off the shelf as new?
I know from what she told me that her problem was probably caused by low volts in her cab battery, yet she had a new one fitted the year before by the dealer. So her van needs to be on ehu more often, or have a battery master fitted at least.
Now we are told these airbag sensors can go wrong with low voltage, now high voltage spikes when starting the engine!, seems to me that the latter cause would be hard to stop, if there is no voltage regulation inside the airbag sensor. Top Tip: I always turn ignition key, let all the dash lights go out, before cranking the engine, did I mention stroking the Saint Christopher pendent also.:giggle:
Fiat, must know about this problem, there must have been hundreds of reports from Fiat Proff garages, but they have never admitted there was/is a problem, unless the van is under warranty then they fit another unit FOC.
I wonder if there is more known on the Ducatto forums, and if they ever got Fiat to provide a resolution, like an in-line voltage regulator, or smoothing device?:unsure:
LES

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Camper634
Dec 18, 2011
Hull
Funster No
MH
Autotrail 634
Exp
Since 2006
Exactly what I think Les.I don’t mind paying for regular wear and tear or even the extortionate service costs, but this is taking the p*ss.They are definitely keeping quiet about how many of these units have suddenly gone faulty.I am not an idiot and since the last replacement I have made 100% certain all lights have gone off before starting the engine.Like I said this morning the warning light came on immediately after turning the key😡😡

Upvote 1
Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Had mine reset by crash data two weeks ago, put it back in all OK then on Thursday checking the van out before mot on Friday flipping light is back with the same error code. Was supossed to be on a ferry tomorrow.
Sent it back to Crash Data yesterday but postal strike so they won't get it until Monday. All ready put our trip back two weeks because of when it first went wrong.
Lenny, did we not read on hear many moons back about fitting a small resistor across the input connector to the sensor which stopped the dash board light coming on?
The resetting/reprograming by Crash Data is obviously only a short term fix, before the same scenario makes it crash again. IMO there should be some form of power regulation/smoothing fitted in-line to stop spikes.
Bloody Frustrating that Fiat does not provide a better solution, which they do know about.
LES

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Fiat, must know about this problem,
course they do ,same as they dod along with peugeot & citroën, about the short/tight wiring to the injectors that brings on the eml & had done for nigh on 20 years
Like I said this morning the warning light came on immediately after turning the key
You aren't confusing it as when you turn the key all lights come on & then go out leaving only oil, battery & charge light on for when you turn the key to start?

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Lenny, did we not read on hear many moons back about fitting a small resistor across the input connector to the sensor which stopped the dash board light coming on?
The resetting/reprograming by Crash Data is obviously only a short term fix, before the same scenario makes it crash again. IMO there should be some form of power regulation/smoothing fitted in-line to stop spikes.
Bloody Frustrating that Fiat does not provide a better solution, which they do know about.
LES
That is for the seat belt light.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Camper634
Dec 18, 2011
Hull
Funster No
MH
Autotrail 634
Exp
Since 2006
course they do ,same as they dod along with peugeot & citroën, about the short/tight wiring to the injectors that brings on the eml & had done for nigh on 20 years

You aren't confusing it as when you turn the key all lights come on & then go out leaving only oil, battery & charge light on for when you turn the key to start?
No i wish i was😂I should have added that it bleeped aswell as soon as i turned the key and i knew……here we go again🤬🤬

Upvote 0
Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
I don't know about where it is in your vans but in mine it's under the floor in the cab, under the dash where a passenger would put their feet. 🤦‍♂️

Daft place for sensitive electrics, where it's going to get stood on and wet.

Idiot manufacturers. 😡

Upvote 0
Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Ok so if the "repaired" ones from Crash Data are not as reliable as a new replacement, then why not as we all know where it is located, order a new OEM one from Fiat? My MH dealer quoted £120 to a customer last week plus £90 +Vat= £252 Fitted
Makes me wonder how much Fiat Spares Counter would charge for the part?
LES

Upvote 0
Mar 23, 2018
East Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 1995 + 20Yrs a 'Tugger' first.
After two failures I fitted a NOCO Genius1 permanently plugged to the vehicle battery. When in the drive at home the mains lead is always connected, with the charger only switched when the solar panel can't cope in winter.

Upvote 0
Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
I don't know about where it is in your vans but in mine it's under the floor in the cab, under the dash where a passenger would put their feet. 🤦‍♂️

Daft place for sensitive electrics, where it's going to get stood on and wet.

Idiot manufacturers. 😡
My 2012 one also failed so its hardly new problem.

After all these years you would expect Fiat to be fitting an upgraded version that doesn't fail for no good reason .

Replacing this one one my 2019 is even worse because of the centre consul/drinks holder is fitted completely across the module access

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Replacing this one one my 2019 is even worse because of the centre consul/drinks holder is fitted completely across the module access
You only need to take out the plastic trim under that bit just two two screws. I made that mistake the first time but its only 3 extra screws.

Upvote 0
Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Hi Driventemple I looked up a NOCO Genius 1, I see its a 1 amp mains charger that can charge all types of batteries preferably keeping them maintained while not in use.(y)
If you fitted a Vanbitz Battery Master, just 3 wires between Hab & Cab batteries then any surplus charge from the leisure bats would be sent to the cab battery,@1amp, keeping that topped up for free if you have sufficient solar.

Sorry if you already new about Battery Masters, but it does save hooking up a separate charger in the winter months, and saves on the lecky bill.(y)
LES

Upvote 0
Mar 23, 2018
East Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 1995 + 20Yrs a 'Tugger' first.
Hi Driventemple I looked up a NOCO Genius 1, I see its a 1 amp mains charger that can charge all types of batteries preferably keeping them maintained while not in use.(y)
If you fitted a Vanbitz Battery Master, just 3 wires between Hab & Cab batteries then any surplus charge from the leisure bats would be sent to the cab battery,@1amp, keeping that topped up for free if you have sufficient solar.

Sorry if you already new about Battery Masters, but it does save hooking up a separate charger in the winter months, and saves on the lecky bill.(y)
LES
Yes, I have the poor man's version of the Battery Master - Votronic Standby Charger. This works fine in conjunction with the solar charger, however I still had the problem when during the winter on the drive the solar was not adequate. Tucked in close to the house the solar panel is shaded.

Upvote 0
Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
My 2012 one also failed so its hardly new problem.

After all these years you would expect Fiat to be fitting an upgraded version that doesn't fail for no good reason .

Mine is a 2013. 🙄 Hopeless.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Camper634
Dec 18, 2011
Hull
Funster No
MH
Autotrail 634
Exp
Since 2006
I’m not convinced it has anything to do with battery voltage.It has to be poor design and fiat won’t admit it because it would mean a recall and cost them a fortune.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I’m not convinced it has anything to do with battery voltage.It has to be poor design and fiat won’t admit it because it would mean a recall and cost them a fortune.
The report from Crash Data there was no mention of under or over voltage on mine.
It's been going on since 2012 and still happening on new vans it's a joke.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back