Fantastic News. Arm becoming British again, kind of. (1 Viewer)

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
After it was bought by softbank a Japanese company and taken private there was concern about what would happen next.
Nvidia looked to be buying it which would be bad all round and probably mean it fully relocated to the US.

Then that fell through due to all the issues. The next likely probable path was a float on the US NASDAQ.

BUT. Today I saw this. BEST possible news. A UK float of some portion of the business. A foot in the door.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
After it was bought by softbank a Japanese company and taken private there was concern about what would happen next.
Nvidia looked to be buying it which would be bad all round and probably mean it fully relocated to the US.

Then that fell through due to all the issues. The next likely probable path was a float on the US NASDAQ.

BUT. Today I saw this. BEST possible news. A UK float of some portion of the business. A foot in the door.

Should never have been sold in the first place too many business are sold or managed by overseas companies. But with the type of management etc we have in this country everything is for sale.

Edited to say the EU is spending a few billion to make sure that chips etc can are made in Europe so that we are not reliant on the Far East.

Sep 10, 2020
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autograph 69-2
Exp
Moved over to the Dark Side after 16 yrs tugging.
Great to see it coming home ... if it really does go through. Been a long term supporter of ARM since the 1990s when I sold my ARM shares to pay off the mortgage and retire early. Best decision I ever made. All the rest since have been rubbish! :cry:

Except buying the moho that is.
Oh, and joining the Forum...::bigsmile:

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Up until five years ago, One of our younger daughters had been renting with her husband.

They had vile neighbours move in and I suggested they buy instead of renting. Of course I didn’t know what I was talking about. Her husband very keen to rent again.

They are now buy-to-let landlords of 6 properties.

I just hope they don’t get bad tenants like we did .

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Should never have been sold in the first place too many business are sold or managed by overseas companies. But with the type of management etc we have in this country everything is for sale.

Edited to say the EU is spending a few billion to make sure that chips etc can are made in Europe so that we are not reliant on the Far East.

We operate a free market economy, this is the way it works. If you have a stock market to raise funds to grow a business there is a chance you can be bought out. Once goes with the other.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
If you are talking about the sale to softbank? Then 95% of the investors/owners/shareholder voted for this sale. That is who should decide whether a company can be sold and to whom, unless it is a national security issue.
I wasn't happy about the softbank sale but I had nothing against it going ahead in a free market economy.

My problem with the NVidia sales is that nvidia would likely become anti competitive with the technology and everyone would suffer. They would also likely shut down the UK side and make a purely 100% internal company in the US.

BUT. The UK regulators, The EU regulators, the US regulators and more put paid to the Nvidia plan. so all is well.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Grommet there are many people here including myself who have invested in the free market and who understand how this works. Looking at the news Arm is only partially going to be re listed on the London stock market. It is understood that shareholders voted for the buyout. The free market has its flaws, the sale of Arm was one of those. It cannot be argued that simply partially re-listing Arm on the stock exchange is great news unless jobs and investment happen as well. Looking at the article the main holding is in the US and is more political than a business decision.

Arm looked set to opt for an exclusive US listing in New York over fears tech companies are undervalued by UK markets.

But yesterday Bloomberg reported it will list some of the stake in London – a win for ministers who stepped up a charm offensive to bring the business back to the UK.

We all see what we wish to see and would suggest this is not as fantastic as billed so let’s see how things unfold

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Potentially good news for ARM and for Cambridge. They created a lot of millionaires in the area in the nineties and the sales of Porsche’s at the local dealer went through the roof. I guess they’ll be leccie ones next time the boom comes :giggle:

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Grommet there are many people here including myself who have invested in the free market and who understand how this works. Looking at the news Arm is only partially going to be re listed on the London stock market. It is understood that shareholders voted for the buyout. The free market has its flaws, the sale of Arm was one of those. It cannot be argued that simply partially re-listing Arm on the stock exchange is great news unless jobs and investment happen as well. Looking at the article the main holding is in the US and is more political than a business decision.

Arm looked set to opt for an exclusive US listing in New York over fears tech companies are undervalued by UK markets.

But yesterday Bloomberg reported it will list some of the stake in London – a win for ministers who stepped up a charm offensive to bring the business back to the UK.

We all see what we wish to see and would suggest this is not as fantastic as billed so let’s see how things unfold

You did notice I said and I quote;
A UK float of some portion of the business. A foot in the door.

Even when it was floated on the UK stock market there was no guarantee that the majority of the shareholders were british and that it was therefore british owned.

My only hope is that the main staff/workforce remain here. That is the bit that matters. The jobs. In second place I hope it remains an independent company which this float indicates it will be. Finally in third place I want to see it head quartered in the UK so that it pays the taxes here and can clearly be called a British company.

Who owns it means nothing at the end of the day.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp

Even when it was floated on the UK stock market there was no guarantee that the majority of the shareholders were british and that it was therefore british owned.

My only hope is that the main staff/workforce remain here. That is the bit that matters. The jobs. In second place I hope it remains an independent company which this float indicates it will be. Finally in third place I want to see it head quartered in the UK so that it pays the taxes here and can clearly be called a British company.

So presumably Dyson are on the evil companies list having moved their HQ and manufacturing away from the UK .

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
So presumably Dyson are on the evil companies list having moved their HQ and manufacturing away from the UK .
Where did I ever use the the word evil.

I have never been a fan of Dyson. But credit to him he has kept the higher value engineering and development jobs in the UK. Founded, Funds and Operates an engineering "university" in the UK.

Yes, I would prefer him to have kept the headquarters in the UK. But can honestly understand him moving the manufacturing offshore.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock

A foot in the door when 8 years ago it was 100% U.K. business

So how will the redundancy plans be affected my guess is a review period then a cull as the share holders need their dividends.

UK chipmaker Arm to cut up to 1,000 jobs after $40bn sale collapses​

The Cambridge-based company said most of the job losses, totalling up to about 1,000 roles, would be in the UK and the US. Arm employs more than 6,500 people worldwide, including 3,000 in the UK.

Arm said: “Like any business, Arm is continually reviewing its business plan to ensure the company has the right balance between opportunities and cost discipline. Unfortunately, this process includes proposed redundancies across Arm’s global workforce.”

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back