External filler - under bumper on PVC (2 Viewers)

Jan 2, 2017
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2010
Following input here, including from Minxy who posted pictures of her previous installation, and from Basildog who drew my attention to a rear bumper-mounted bracket which he sells, I have now fitted an external filler to my Globecar. I've cable tied a piece of garden hose around the Gaslow braided steel filler (as shown by Minxy) and then, to protect further against ingress of muck, I have pulled a thinner piece of water pipe outlet hose over the exposed parts of the pipe.

In order to ensure that the pipe doesn't come into contact with rear suspension components, I have used the right-angled connector to the brass filler.

I'll try to post pictures below - hope this works.

Assuming the pictures are visible I would be grateful for any thoughts. I'd hate to do the first jet-powered van impression on a public road.

Thanks
Paul

Gas drop outs.jpgGas filler internal photo.jpg

OP
OP
PaulW2
Jan 2, 2017
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2010
It's at a height of 27cm. It is the lowest item along the line of the rear bumper, though it is at pretty much exactly the same height as the rear suspension shackle that is about 25cm directly in front of it. The van's rear overhang is also modest - the back of the bumper is about 1 metre behind the centre of the rear wheel.

You have a point - the bracket is the first thing that will bottom out. But I hope the departure angle should be fine. I make it a bit more than 15 degrees, against about 20 degrees it would have been without the bracket. And still slightly - maybe about a degree - better than the 6.4m van on the same wheelbase.

For comparison, my Land Rover Discovery 4, which has an underslung LR towbar, also has a similar departure angle due to the towbar :unsure:

OP
OP
PaulW2
Jan 2, 2017
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2010
Of course, I may be slightly more nervous about reversing the overhang over kerbs...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
Is it not possible to mount it into the body of the van somewhere? Or bumper. I used one of these and mounted it in the metal valance of the motor home (different to a van I know)

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Being that low, you might have a problem actually attaching the pump nozzle to it. They are larger and less flexible than diesel ones.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Why can't you put it in the bumper, ? No problems then and also out of sight.

Aug 1, 2021
Pembrokeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-T Expedition 66
My Gaslow fill point is mounted in the rear side bumper moulding on my PVC. Looks like it was factory fitted. I've never been queried at home or abroad when filling. I suspect they think it is for propulsion rather than habitation heating and cooking.

Screenshot_20231030-075957.png

OP
OP
PaulW2
Jan 2, 2017
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2010
Being that low, you might have a problem actually attaching the pump nozzle to it. They are larger and less flexible than diesel ones.
I actually had some difficulty with it being mounted inside the gas compartment. Had to open the rear van doors and then the compartments door. Then the hose had to reach around the open van door to get to the fitting. And, of course, the attendant would only see someone opening the back of the van and then doing something with the gas hose inside the back of the van…

I think I should be able to reach down to it

OP
OP
PaulW2
Jan 2, 2017
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2010
Ooooo, too low for me there. I would be worried about speed humps and ferry ramps. 😳
I’ll be sure to feed back once I’ve been on and off a few!

Have looked at some of the good alternatives suggested here and all entail a bit more … complexity! Think on balance I’ll leave it where it is for now.

The departure angle, at about 15 degrees, is better than my previous van’s was and that never bottomed out on ferries (and only once ever, when I was entering the parking at Guimarães in Portugal).

🤞

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
My Gaslow fill point is mounted in the rear side bumper moulding on my PVC. Looks like it was factory fitted. I've never been queried at home or abroad when filling. I suspect they think it is for propulsion rather than habitation heating and cooking.

View attachment 829170

I filled up with diesel recently in Serbia. I then moved onto the LPG pump and asked them to fill that. They looked at me confused and had a discussion amongst themselves and eventually asked 'why diesel AND LPG?' 😀

Aug 1, 2021
Pembrokeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-T Expedition 66
I filled up with diesel recently in Serbia. I then moved onto the LPG pump and asked them to fill that. They looked at me confused and had a discussion amongst themselves and eventually asked 'why diesel AND LPG?' 😀
That's why it's best never to fill with both Autogas and Diesel at the same filling station - or at least if you do, fill the Autogas first. 👍

Aug 10, 2012
cambridge
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
since2001
Mines on a bracket below the bumper, as supplied by Autogas, great idea and it’s easy to use , only issues it gets wet from road spray and needs a cover full time
No drilling, bracket uses existing bolts on PVC

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
PaulW2 We use this bracket as many owners do not want holes cutting in their van .
It actually gives more ground clearance than the picture appears to show , most installations with body mounted filler points are fitted by the manufacturer when the van is built.
Filler hoses must be in a vent hose if installed properly and unfortunately many manufacturers don’t leave access to the filler hoses for their 10 year replacement ⚠️
Personally I would recommend using a floor seal or similar and getting rid of the lay flat hose , especially as you have sealed the outside end which means in the event of failure you will be sending the liquid into your locker .
Stainless steel hoses do fail occasionally and in fact we had a customer in today with a gas leak, rodents had eaten a stainless steel regulator hose on an underslung LPG tank.

Last edited:

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
Dealer fitted. I no longer have the van, but no problems with clearance or filling. It’s not as low as it looks. We had a tow bar and that was lower.👍

IMG_3023.jpeg
IMG_3024.jpeg

OP
OP
PaulW2
Jan 2, 2017
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2010
PaulW2 We use this bracket as many owners do not want holes cutting in their van .
It actually gives more ground clearance than the picture appears to show , most installations with body mounted filler points are fitted by the manufacturer when the van is built.
Filler hoses must be in a vent hose if installed properly and unfortunately many manufacturers don’t leave access to the filler hoses for their 10 year replacement ⚠️
Personally I would recommend using a floor seal or similar and getting rid of the lay flat hose , especially as you have sealed the outside end which means in the event of failure you will be sending the liquid into your locker .
Stainless steel hoses do fail occasionally and in fact we had a customer in today with a gas leak, rodents had eaten a stainless steel regulator hose on an underslung LPG tank.
Many thanks, that's very helpful.

So the lay flat hose over the split garden hose, which is in turn over the stainless steel Gaslow hose, could be problematic. This is because as assembled, and with the hose clamp at the outside end, it will provide a liquid/gas tight sleeve into the locker. If the stainless steel hose should fail within the sleeve this will then result in the liquid being sent straight into the locker?

Sobering thought. I'd best address that...

What is the advantage of the floor seal over the hose being fed through one of the 3 gas drop outs as I did? (I've used side cutters to take out enough of the mesh to enable the hose to fit and then cable tied it into position to restrict movement/chafing.) Is it that it provides a better barrier to liquid entry in the event of hose failure before it enters the locker? If so, would I not achieve much the same effect by sealing off the remainder of the drop out that the hose is fed through?

Thanks again for your input - much appreciated

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
Many thanks, that's very helpful.

So the lay flat hose over the split garden hose, which is in turn over the stainless steel Gaslow hose, could be problematic. This is because as assembled, and with the hose clamp at the outside end, it will provide a liquid/gas tight sleeve into the locker. If the stainless steel hose should fail within the sleeve this will then result in the liquid being sent straight into the locker?

Sobering thought. I'd best address that...

What is the advantage of the floor seal over the hose being fed through one of the 3 gas drop outs as I did? (I've used side cutters to take out enough of the mesh to enable the hose to fit and then cable tied it into position to restrict movement/chafing.) Is it that it provides a better barrier to liquid entry in the event of hose failure before it enters the locker? If so, would I not achieve much the same effect by sealing off the remainder of the drop out that the hose is fed through?

Thanks again for your input - much appreciated
A bit of hose is fine as protection, I only posted what we use in the workshop as an example 👍

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
I filled mine for the first time myself yesterday no problems Asda @ Pentwyn in Cardiff 2 pumps 3 and 4

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back