Expect shortages of KP Nuts and their other products. They've been hacked. (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Fortunately it appears it is not not crypto ransom. So it is just a case of securing their network.
This is harder to do than a normal person would expect, but easier than dealing with a fully encrypted data set.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Probably just a trail run to bring down the whole country, joys of the internet age.

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Probably just a trail run to bring down the whole country, joys of the internet age.
Nope this is standard ransomware tactics to get money. No ulterior motive needed, the money is the motive.

Hackers who are state sponsored don't want us to know they are on our networks. They hack in, insert multiple back doors then stay silent until it is needed.

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
It's come to something when they can't deliver a pallet of nuts without a computer.
All the factory floor machines are controlled by computers (SCADA etc). Incoming orders are processed by computers, outgoing distribution is managed by computers. I could go on.
We no longer have the capabilities to operate using paper work.

Jul 11, 2020
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Benimar Tessoro T486
Exp
Since August 2020
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
All the factory floor machines are controlled by computers (SCADA etc). Incoming orders are processed by computers, outgoing distribution is managed by computers. I could go on.
We no longer have the capabilities to operate using paper work.
:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Why so unhappy. Do you want to go back to paper work and lots of people doing boring jobs watching gauges and adjusting valves etc?

I do not want most of these mass-produced products, as we by locally from farm provided shops.

Geoff

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
Why so unhappy. Do you want to go back to paper work and lots of people doing boring jobs watching gauges and adjusting valves etc?
what like in the sixties when there was so much work you could leave a job friday and start another on monday almost all work is mundane and boring but it pays the bills

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Would that be lots of people with actual jobs instead of filling the wonderful opportunities offered by the so called "Gig Economy" on zero hours contracts?

The vast majority of people in the Gig Economy do it by choice and like it. The latest figures show that 72% of people who expressed a view stated they were happy with the hours they got and didn't want more.
With the number of job vacancies around at the moment anyone a lot of people could move from zero hour contract jobs to fully contracted jobs. The fact that there are still record vacancies and record people self employed or on zero hour contracts indicates you may have misread the situation somewhat? Just a thought...

what like in the sixties when there was so much work you could leave a job friday and start another on monday almost all work is mundane and boring but it pays the bills

Hateful jobs that bored the nuts off people. My first 2 real jobs were in factories feeding machines, tedious, soul destroying, mind numbing jobs. Fortunately I only had to do those tasks for a short period as part of my training for the QC dept. 6 months spent doing each job in the factory.
The same factories now employ slightly fewer people. The machines feeding is now automated, but there are more technicians maintaining the machines, more warehouse staff as productivity has increased, and a few more office staff for managing production and dealing with the increased orders.

Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
It strikes me as a strange position to be in. Firstly KP must have people clever enough in their business to create a temporary operating model whilst they resolve the attack. Secondly, announcing to the world that you are not operationally able to resolve an issue would, if I were in procurement at a large vendor of theirs, ring all kind of alarm bells to me.

Announcing the situation may have diffused part of the attackers play, but alternatively shows the attackers that they have severely disrupted the business, so may enhance their demands, or at least reinvigorate them.

Better to stay quiet, focus on process work arounds and a stand-alone system to keep the business running…

Gromett - SCADA networks scare the hell out of me! >Half of our critical National infrastructure is being run on very basic OS’s with known vulnerabilities everywhere. Doesn’t need zero day approaches, it’s leakier than a sieve. Ah you all say, SCADA networks are de coupled environments, so secure. This is my fear as increasingly through the purchasing of internet enabled components in machines to reduce downtime, through demand based service schedules, there is effectively loads of entry points to SCADA networks now.. I fear it’s only a matter of time before major incidents ☹️

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
It strikes me as a strange position to be in. Firstly KP must have people clever enough in their business to create a temporary operating model whilst they resolve the attack. Secondly, announcing to the world that you are not operationally able to resolve an issue would, if I were in procurement at a large vendor of theirs, ring all kind of alarm bells to me.

Announcing the situation may have diffused part of the attackers play, but alternatively shows the attackers that they have severely disrupted the business, so may enhance their demands, or at least reinvigorate them.

Better to stay quiet, focus on process work arounds and a stand-alone system to keep the business running…
Two points here. They are not allowed to stay silent. 2 Main reasons but not the only ones. All attacks on companies now need to be disclosed where there has been a data breach. Also anything that may have a significant impact on a companies earnings or profitability has to be disclosed for any public company as it may affect share prices.

Gromett - SCADA networks scare the hell out of me! >Half of our critical National infrastructure is being run on very basic OS’s with known vulnerabilities everywhere. Doesn’t need zero day approaches, it’s leakier than a sieve. Ah you all say, SCADA networks are de coupled environments, so secure. This is my fear as increasingly through the purchasing of internet enabled components in machines to reduce downtime, through demand based service schedules, there is effectively loads of entry points to SCADA networks now.. I fear it’s only a matter of time before major incidents ☹️
I agree. Companies are cheaping out in IT depts and not employing people who's sole task is security. This has improved over the last 5 years but still needs to improve much more. I do this work for small companies who can't afford in house security and the state of some servers when I get my hands on them are scary. SCADA itself is not a problem. It is simply process control technology. The problem is that people installing the original system don't seem to be called back to do additions. So different people do additions piecemeal without understanding the entire system and often without an understanding of network security. The networking being handled by a different dept. All it takes is one SCADA guy to plug in a personal laptop that has been exploited or has a 4G connection and bang goes all the network security. But the same could be said for any process control system. It is a complicated subject and needs a security guy across all areas of the IT infrastructure with enough staff to back him up.

In the KP case, It doesn't appear to have infected the SCADA systems, but the control systems appear to be on the same network that was infected. So that has been shutdown, hence the production issues. There is literally no way to ensure operational security with strict segregation and good management of what can be connected to the SCADA network. Even a totally separate system that is not connected to the internet can be infected by a dumb tech with a laptop who doesn't have good opsec.

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Carpmart

You may find this interesting.

The reason this breach was probably notified was the hackers may have gained access to employee records, payroll data, contact records of people at companies both suppliers and customers.
For instance if their contact database included a field mobile (personal) then the second those records were breached they are obliged to notify.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back