Ex rental (1 Viewer)

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Our first was ex rent's and 38k miles in just under 3 years a few catches etc to fix but overall fine and a good price at the time. We px'd it a couple of years later for almost what we paid for it and that was before the prices went stupid.

Sep 19, 2016
romford
Funster No
MH
rollerteam 259p
Exp
owned vw in 90's just purchased rollerteam
I brought a ex rental in 2016, its price was good compared to other motorhomes we had looked at. Justgo were the company. The van was in very good condition, basic yes, but that suits us, I still have it to today.

May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
Our first MH was an ex rental: we bought it from Amber Leisure (now part of Just Go) at just over 2 years old and with around 40k on the clock. It was a fair bit cheaper than other similar age MHs around at the time, which meant we could afford something a bit newer than we were expecting to. I still think it was a great buy: mechanically we never had any issues with it at all, habitation-wise there were a few things that needed fixing during our ownership, but that was probably down to the quality of the fixings rather than abuse by previous renters.

When we bought it we inspected it in detail and had them fix/replace a few things as part of the deal, but mostly it was pristine inside so had obviously been well looked after. It probably helped that it was only a 2 berth, so probably wouldn't have been (ab)used by groups of friends or families with young children. On the other hand I've seen inside the rental my parents once hired (sorry, can't remember the company) and it was absolutely shocking with so many bits broken and showing signs of hard use. I guess it really depends on how well the rental company maintains their MHs and how long they keep them.

I'd be happy to buy an ex rental again, so long as it was in good condition and the price was right.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
In the beginning of my motorhome journey, I would have probably said yes, but now years down the road and seeing some of the hired vehicles, the way they’re treated, driven and abused through ignorance of how the systems work, I’d say no…..unless it was ridiculously cheap, but even then I’d ponder.

Should have seen the one that pulled up on site, after hitting a bus, with mum dad and 3 tiny kiddies in and the state of the inside. All washable some might say, but it’s the bits you can’t see that would worry me the most.

As we used to say in the military, you can’t polish a turd
Yeah but after a trip to the shower block they'd all clean up a treat. :oops:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hja

May 8, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit Prim
Exp
Since 2019
I am not sure how you assess whether a van has been standing around, other than seeing weeds up to the window! We have had our van three years and done just about 6k. We only tour in the UK. We do go off quite a lot, usually 4 or 5 nights at a time. Two to three hours from home is only going to add about 100/150 miles to the clock. So lots of journeys, but not a lot of miles.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
No, I’ve seen how they are driven, and can only imagine the abuse the interior must also receive.

Rentals often have a special set of seat cushions and other fabrics, while the originals are stored until resale time, so that the interior soft furnishings look new to a prospective buyer. Look deeper for signs of abuse. Externally the most likely body damage repairs will be due to hitting low branches, or reversing into solid obstacles.

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Yeah but after a trip to the shower block they'd all clean up a treat. :oops:
Bit difficult to get all the seating, upholstery and mattresses into the shower block.

They were a lovely family, relocating from South Africa and looking to buy a house somewhere in the area of the campsite. I spent a few hours with him t-cutting the marks and black rubber from the van, but couldn’t hide the damage. The insides needed a dig out, as did the loo and on his own admission, he’d not driven a manual transmission. These are what some and I say, some renters are like, but not all of course. And you can valet the upholstery, but the scratches inside would need a little more tlc.

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
As an ex renter I find the generalisation of hirer's standard of driving and vehicle care as quite insulting, my thoughts were always, it's not mine i better look after it. Know there are those that don't care but would like to think they are in the minority.
We would happily have bought the first one we hired had it been for sale.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
As an ex renter I find the generalisation of hirer's standard of driving and vehicle care as quite insulting, my thoughts were always, it's not mine i better look after it. Know there are those that don't care but would like to think they are in the minority.
We would happily have bought the first one we hired had it been for sale.
Our car is ex rental as well and I think these days they charge so much for any damage that a lot are as you say very careful.

Feb 5, 2022
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Possl 2 win
Exp
40 years
On my annual trips to Dover from Scotland I am often overtaken at great speed by motorhome hire company vans doing 80 plus! Usually during the night or early mornings so it’s a NO from me!

Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
Bit difficult to get all the seating, upholstery and mattresses into the shower block.

They were a lovely family, relocating from South Africa and looking to buy a house somewhere in the area of the campsite. I spent a few hours with him t-cutting the marks and black rubber from the van, but couldn’t hide the damage. The insides needed a dig out, as did the loo and on his own admission, he’d not driven a manual transmission. These are what some and I say, some renters are like, but not all of course. And you can valet the upholstery, but the scratches inside would need a little more tlc.
Your point has not been made. The exact accusation could have been levelled a family that had bought, but not looked after the van. Once buffed and polished by the dealer most punters would be none the wiser. When in construction I was constantly appalled at the state of the U.K housing stock. Owners pay a fortune for houses and then just do no maintenance what so ever.
Your opinion is noted, but there was need for the " polishing a turd remark" a simple " not my cup of tea" would have sufficed. Newcomers might quickly brand the site as elitist,unless they have the odd £100,000 kicking about ready to spend on an impractical 2nd vehicle there's no point in bothering. It's well documented that many have had terrific adventures in vans that cost them next to nothing.
Mike.

May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
I wonder how many people who say they'd never consider buying an ex hire MH have every actually owned one? Or even looked at one to buy?

Your point has not been made. The exact accusation could have been levelled a family that had bought, but not looked after the van. Once buffed and polished by the dealer most punters would be none the wiser.
Yes exactly.

When we sold our ex hire (at 6 years old: 2 years hire usage, 4 years ours) it was priced at the same level as non-ex hire vehicles, and no-one looking at it would ever have known that it had been hired out.

On the other hand our latest MH was bought at 5 years old with one previous (private) owner but had quite a lot of damage the dealer needed to put right before we could pick it up. It was patently obvious that the previous owner hadn't treated it gently at all.

On my annual trips to Dover from Scotland I am often overtaken at great speed by motorhome hire company vans doing 80 plus! Usually during the night or early mornings so it’s a NO from me!
All of our MHs have been known to 80+ on occasion :blusher: They're commercial vans underneath so a few high speed runs won't do them any harm. In fact possibly the opposite....diesels sometimes need an "Italian tune up"

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2007
essex
Funster No
MH
2017 sunlight t69s euro6
Exp
since 1999
I wonder how many people who say they'd never consider buying an ex hire MH have every actually owned one? Or even looked at one to buy?

Yes exactly.

When we sold our ex hire (at 6 years old: 2 years hire usage, 4 years ours) it was priced at the same level as non-ex hire vehicles, and no-one looking at it would ever have known that it had been hired out.

On the other hand our latest MH was bought at 5 years old with one previous (private) owner but had quite a damage the dealer needed to put right before we could pick it up. It was patently obvious that the previous owner hadn't treated it gently at all.

All of our MHs have been known to 80+ on occasion :blusher: They're commercial vans underneath so a few high speed runs won't do them any harm. In fact possibly the opposite....diesels sometimes need an "Italian tune up"
Blows the crap out of the dpf

Sep 17, 2020
Totton
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 745
Exp
Since Sept 2020.
Our first MH was an ex rental: we bought it from Amber Leisure (now part of Just Go) at just over 2 years old and with around 40k on the clock. It was a fair bit cheaper than other similar age MHs around at the time, which meant we could afford something a bit newer than we were expecting to. I still think it was a great buy: mechanically we never had any issues with it at all, habitation-wise there were a few things that needed fixing during our ownership, but that was probably down to the quality of the fixings rather than abuse by previous renters.

When we bought it we inspected it in detail and had them fix/replace a few things as part of the deal, but mostly it was pristine inside so had obviously been well looked after. It probably helped that it was only a 2 berth, so probably wouldn't have been (ab)used by groups of friends or families with young children. On the other hand I've seen inside the rental my parents once hired (sorry, can't remember the company) and it was absolutely shocking with so many bits broken and showing signs of hard use. I guess it really depends on how well the rental company maintains their MHs and how long they keep them.

I'd be happy to buy an ex rental again, so long as it was in good condition and the price was right.
The 2014 Bailey Autograph we bought in February had number of stickers in it that suggested it was probably ex-hire, and the dealer confirmed that when we asked - only when we got it home did I spot the shadow of the Amber Motorhomes logo on the rear offside. It's well tested now and all up together with no obvious issues. We're the 4th keepers since new so maybe the second had all the grief, but there's no obvious major repairs or replacements. On the basis of this experience, I'd do it again.

Sep 17, 2020
Totton
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 745
Exp
Since Sept 2020.
On the other hand the DPF is unlikely to be gummed up - it's the bimbling along that knackers them. :giggle:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Out of interest to those who have owned ex-hire MHs, is the insurance/breakdown cover more expensive? The reason I ask is that sometime one of the questions asks if it's been for hire/reward.

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
Out of interest to those who have owned ex-hire MHs, is the insurance/breakdown cover more expensive? The reason I ask is that sometime one of the questions asks if it's been for hire/reward.
Been used or is used?. Never been asked about a vehicles history except has it been written off?

Wonder if it's higher risk ?

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
Minxy... does that not possibly mean if you plan to hire/reward it and not if it has been in the past?

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
When you go and see a van you can only go by what it’s like on the day, yes you’ll have some paperwork history but paperwork doesn’t drive or live in it.

Only a good look and test drive will tell you what it’s like, a one owner low mileage might have had a terrible driver and sat in a wet field for months occupied by a family from shameless….

If it feels good smells good looks good it just might be good…. 😎

Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
Nope, never been asked that.
That's jinxed it, probably be a 10% loading for that next year😒

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I think the question is whether it is being used for hire and reward not has been in the past. It wasn't a problem for us. I don't see why there would be any difference from the insurance companies point of view what it has been used for before.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Minxy... does that not possibly mean if you plan to hire/reward it and not if it has been in the past?
I think the question is whether it is being used for hire and reward not has been in the past. It wasn't a problem for us. I don't see why there would be any difference from the insurance companies point of view what it has been used for before.
It was definitely asking if it HAD EVER been used, not going to be, I just answered 'no' so maybe follow up questions asked about future use. :unsure:

May 10, 2023
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail
Exp
Since 2002
When we were considering changing to a motorhome after years of caravanning we decided to hire one for a couple of weeks to see how we got on. We really liked it and after returning it we found the hire company intended selling it at the imminent end of season. We agreed to buy it from them for a good price and they dealt with the few small repairs needed without quibble.

We had that MH for a couple of years before part-exchanging it and it served us well.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back