Eurotunnel Travel: LPG Gas Isolation Requirements (1 Viewer)

Apr 9, 2022
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
20 years
Hi all,
Just bought a new Auto-Trail V-Line camper with an underslung LPG tank for domestic use.

Travelling on Eurotunnel in a few weeks.

Does anyone have experience of travelling with Eurotunnel - what’s their requirements on gas islolation before travelling? Do they require the gas isolation at the underslung tank(requires crawling under vehicle) or can the internal manifold gas valves be turned off?

We have always had a vehicle with gas bottles so the isolation process is straightforward.

Comments/ past experiences would be appreciated?

Feb 3, 2013
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
ENC Fifer Touring M
Exp
Since the 90's
There should be an isolation tap somewhere along the pipe from external tank to hob on the interior pipe run, mine is in the cupboard under the hob, just show them its switched off, or sometimes they will ask you to demonstrate there is no gas coming through by turning on one of the burners and no gas coming out.
They are usually a bit more strict on the UK side but in our experience they just ask you if its switched off on the French side and dont bother checking.

OP
OP
N
Apr 9, 2022
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
20 years
There should be an isolation tap somewhere along the pipe from external tank to hob on the interior pipe run, mine is in the cupboard under the hob, just show them its switched off, or sometimes they will ask you to demonstrate there is no gas coming through by turning on one of the burners and no gas coming out.
They are usually a bit more strict on the UK side but in our experience they just ask you if its switched off on the French side and dont bother checking.
Thanks Pete, much appreciated

Oct 6, 2021
Funster No
MH
PVC
I have an Auto Trail with the underslung gas tank. Forget the isolation switch, it is right underneath the van, and you have to take the cover off the gas tank. Its very easy to badly refit the cover and lose it. When I went over using the tunnel, they were quite happy that I had turned all the internal gas stop cocks off. Never had a problem doing this with the tunnel, DFDS or Brittany Ferries. Half the time they don't check anyway!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 24, 2023
Funster No
MH
RPMOTORHOMES Rebel
Exp
New to van life
We have been through the tunnel a few times last year. They always pull us over and ask if we have switched off the gas. Most times they ask to jump in and check the electrical gas’s isolation switch is off. We once were held up on the French side because the gas tank must not be more than 80% full. This was a problem - how to get rid of gas in a hurry! But after a few phone calls we were let on the train!

I always make sure the tank is not full now. If you have a gas switch inside just make sure it is off. Have fun!

Reactions: JRT

CAB96

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 31, 2021
Stockport, UK
Funster No
MH
T6 Leisuredrive
Exp
3+
We have been through the tunnel a few times last year. They always pull us over and ask if we have switched off the gas. Most times they ask to jump in and check the electrical gas’s isolation switch is off. We once were held up on the French side because the gas tank must not be more than 80% full. This was a problem - how to get rid of gas in a hurry! But after a few phone calls we were let on the train!

I always make sure the tank is not full now. If you have a gas switch inside just make sure it is off. Have fun!
But the tank is only 80% full when it is full? Or when the automatic valve stops the gas.

Jul 24, 2023
Funster No
MH
RPMOTORHOMES Rebel
Exp
New to van life
They looked at the gauge inside the van (which showed 100% with all LEDs lit) and that was all they were interested in! If the dial had showed 80% they would have been happy - it did not so they pulled me over.

There is a simple solution ;)

Apr 14, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey
We just had a return trip to France last week and UK side going asked me to open gas locker and checked both bottles were off, French side coming back they just asked if the gas was off.

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
They looked at the gauge inside the van (which showed 100% with all LEDs lit) and that was all they were interested in! If the dial had showed 80% they would have been happy - it did not so they pulled me over.

There is a simple solution ;)
Yes I can see why they would think that .
The fact is the LED gauges read full at 80%.

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
Always had my gas checked on the Uk side going over, French are a bit hit and miss depending on if they could be bothered to come out of the hut😁
Did have the old French lady who when we pulled up to the hut asked how many horses we had onboard 😳😳when I said it was a motorhome she then said I will check your gas then watched as I showed her it’s turned off😂😂

Oct 20, 2023
Scotland, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Hi all,
Just bought a new Auto-Trail V-Line camper with an underslung LPG tank for domestic use.

Does anyone have experience of travelling with Eurotunnel - what’s their requirements on gas islolation before travelling? Do they require the gas isolation at the underslung tank(requires crawling under vehicle) or can the internal manifold gas valves be turned off?

We have always had a vehicle with gas bottles so the isolation process is straightforward.

Under the cooker. 4 inline switches. Turn each one to horizontal. Job done.
We've a '22 as yours.
Asked once to show on cooker but no questions on other appliances.

Oct 20, 2023
Scotland, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Under the cooker. 4 inline switches. Turn each one to horizontal. Job done.
We've a '22 as yours.
Asked once to show on cooker but no questions on other appliances.
Almost forgot 🫣.
Turn all back before someone says the fridge is off, no hot water .... 🤬.
I turn all off to remember which is off 🤔.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Does anyone have experience of travelling with Eurotunnel - what’s their requirements on gas isolation before travelling? Do they require the gas isolation at the underslung tank(requires crawling under vehicle) or can the internal manifold gas valves be turned off?
Technically, the requirement is to isolate the gas supply at it's source, ie, at the bulk tank. Anything less than that is a compromise TBH, which I'm sure doesn't comply with their requirements.

We had a bulk tank on our old Hymer, which I isolated via the tank valve.......................every time.

Regards,

Jock. :)

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Technically, the requirement is to isolate the gas supply at it's source, ie, at the bulk tank. Anything less than that is a compromise TBH, which I'm sure doesn't comply with their requirements.

We had a bulk tank on our old Hymer, which I isolated via the tank valve.......................every time.

Regards,

Was it right under the middle? If so what did you use to lift the MH? Otherwise not physically possible for us and our van.

Reactions: hja
May 2, 2024
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Hi all,

What I can say is what I have experienced with he gaslow system and all that is they want the bottle turned off which on occasions they ask to see you turn it off...sometimes just asked if I have...so I would assume that if it is isolated by a valve then all will be fine.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Was it right under the middle? If so what did you use to lift the MH? Otherwise not physically possible for us and our van.
No Annie, as fortunately, whoever fitted it at the Hymer factory in Germany, obviously thought about it, (or the customer did). The bulk tank was side fitted between the chassis rail and body, and access to the isolation valve was through a purpose made, hinged and lockable flap on the aluminium side skirt. (y)

Cheers,

hja

May 8, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit Prim
Exp
Since 2019
Our previous Autosleeper, valve was under the van. I certainly couldn’t have got to it.

Apr 24, 2018
France
Funster No
MH
2001 Hymer B544
Exp
Since 1992
Depends on who is in the kiosk. Sometimes they simply ask if the gas is off, more often they will ask you to open a cover, access the bulk container/s and demonstrate tank valves are off. I has been the same as long as I can remember. The policy is isolate at tank.

We have crossed UK-France, and France UK 10 times in last 24months

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back