European Vets that have issued EU Pet Passports to Brits since Brexit (1 Viewer)

Sep 20, 2015
Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 79R
Exp
since 2014
It's not illegal - but French vets would appear to have been instructed not to issue PPs to non resident dogs. Its a French regulatory issue, not a legal one. and vets are a regulated profession -
Such intruction is therefore unlawful and NOT enforceable. It is for lawyers and courts to interpret the law and until they say it is unlawful to issue pet passports to non residents then it is NOT a lawful directive.

Dec 14, 2020
Bingley, UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis 120
Exp
Such intruction is therefore unlawful and NOT enforceable. It is for lawyers and courts to interpret the law and until they say it is unlawful to issue pet passports to non residents then it is NOT a lawful directive.
Tosh. The regulator will have a legal right to impose its regulation on the profession.

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Its evidence enough for me.
What are you proposing as an alternative reason for vets not issuing PPs in France? That they were all frightened by a notice on a website?
No. I think it was only after Br*x*t that vets began to even consider whether Pet Passports should ever be issued to non-residents. Suddenly there were Brits (who had loudly proclaimed that they wanted nothing more to do with the EU) wanting EU Pet Passports - how dare they? I can understand vets then wondering whether it should be allowed.

The fact that Americans, Canadians, Australians, etc had been able to obtain EU Pet Passports for years would have escaped most of them. They would have been few in number and probably concentrated in a few main cities. Unfortunately the 'Br*x*t statement' on the I-cad website is badly written and incorrect in detail but, in the absence of anything else, seems to be taken as gospel. The only other official information is the requirements for resident dogs, which many vets then try to apply to non-resident dogs although they have no relevance.

For some vets, no doubt, their own thoughts on what should or shouldn't be allowed after Br*x*t coloured their judgement. Fair enough - I have my own opinion about Br*x*t. However, that doesn't make it illegal to issue EU Pet Passports to non-EU residents. Many people find it easier to say that they are 'not allowed' to do something rather than say they 'don't want to'. Even if they themselves would be happy to issue a Pet Passport, they may feel constrained or even pressurised by the opinions of other vets. This was admitted by a vet in Belgium who stated that even though there was no legal reason for him not to issue a Pet Passport the consensus among the local veterinary community was that they should not.

Dec 14, 2020
Bingley, UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis 120
Exp
I do agree that some vets will be saying they can't do it when they just don't want to do it. But the blanket refusal of French vets is far more likely a rule rather than a concerted opinion of the whole profession. Especially as that's what the French vets seem to say as well. If it had been left to the practising vets, there would still be some in France who would do it. As I understand it, there aren't.

I'm going to (try to) leave it there. All the best (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
I do agree that some vets will be saying they can't do it when they just don't want to do it. But the blanket refusal of French vets is far more likely a rule rather than a concerted opinion of the whole profession. Especially as that's what the French vets seem to say as well. If it had been left to the practising vets, there would still be some in France who would do it. As I understand it, there aren't.

I'm going to (try to) leave it there. All the best (y)
Actually there are still some French vets who will issue Pet Passports to Brits. I have a list that I have compiled from various Facebook posts, currently standing at 33 of them. A couple have dropped off the list but then others come along to replace them.

Oct 20, 2023
Scotland, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
No NOT correct.
My dog has a French passport issued last year.
Rabies jab of a year previous included by the authorised French vet.
I returned to England and had border control check the passport and confirmed it's validity.
Evidence I am happy with although others may have their own opinion.
Cocktail time in Croatia and sun shining 👍.

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
I once tried to argue vet regulations with maz and ended up eating lots of humble pie. They have a very good overview of the regulations and where they apply.

Vets in the UK still haven’t a clue! I asked about a rabies vaccine for mine in January, one vet didn’t even do them, the next one said I had to get a blood test to go to France, I mean, really!

Just because some vets in France refuse to issue them, doesn’t make them right. Some also insist on doing a health check when all you want is for them to chuck a worming tablet down the dogs neck and sign the form to say they have done so. They then charge you much more. 😕

• Thanks
Reactions: maz

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
No NOT correct.
My dog has a French passport issued last year.
Rabies jab of a year previous included by the authorised French vet.
I returned to England and had border control check the passport and confirmed it's validity.
Evidence I am happy with although others may have their own opinion.
Cocktail time in Croatia and sun shining 👍.
The point is the vaccination must be done in EU not uk. As yours is

Oct 20, 2023
Scotland, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
The point is the vaccination must be done in EU not uk. As yours is
Sorry but again not correct and not what I stated.
Rabies jab by a Scottish vet and on the AHC to travel to France. Also recorded on dogs vaccine record with chip details.

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Sorry but again not correct and not what I stated.
Rabies jab by a Scottish vet and on the AHC to travel to France. Also recorded on dogs vaccine record with chip details.
Yes and another rabies jab in the EIU for the pet passport plus you are required to potentially still show your AHC on the way back I. Depending on the date of the rabies vaccination. We had this at Eurotunnel Calais

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Yes and another rabies jab in the EIU for the pet passport plus you are required to potentially still show your AHC on the way back I. Depending on the date of the rabies vaccination. We had this at Eurotunnel Calais
As I explained in my reply to sjmackenzie in post #360, you do not necessarily have to have another rabies vaccination given in the EU when the Pet Passport is issued. Rabies vaccination details can be transferred from the AHC, however you do need to know exactly how this should be done so you can check that the vet has done it correctly.

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
As I explained in my reply to sjmackenzie in post #360, you do not necessarily have to have another rabies vaccination given in the EU when the Pet Passport is issued. Rabies vaccination details can be transferred from the AHC, however you do need to know exactly how this should be done so you can check that the vet has done it correctly.
Personally, I wouldn’t risk it. If it wasn’t accepted then you would be faced with getting another AHCti co e back to the EU again. There is no harm other than a small price in having that vaccination done in the EU and entered in the passport

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Personally, I wouldn’t risk it. If it wasn’t accepted then you would be faced with getting another AHCti co e back to the EU again. There is no harm other than a small price in having that vaccination done in the EU and entered in the passport
Agree that it is safer to just go along with another rabies vaccination, however it is not actually necessary in order to obtain a Pet Passport. Having said that, most EU vets seem to insist on one anyway.

Oct 20, 2023
Scotland, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
I give up 😩.
Just because you did, does not mean others are required to follow suite.
Maz post above may clarify.
However Maz I think you subjectively generalise too much on the "most EU vets seem to insist.".
The point is the pet owner is free to go elsewhere if unhappy with the service offered or refused.
Goodnight 🥃👍

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Anyone still paying £250 for an AHC in the UK just isn't looking. Plenty of one man bands issuing them for around 1/3rd of that.
Any vets still charging £250 for an AHC are doing so for only one reason - they don't want to do them.
I was surprised when my daughter said she was no longer registered to give rabies vaccinations. I know she doesn’t pay the extra fees to be able to do an AHC but I wouldn’t have thought rabies required extra again. People who complain about vet fees don’t really understand the costs in the UK.

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
I was surprised when my daughter said she was no longer registered to give rabies vaccinations. I know she doesn’t pay the extra fees to be able to do an AHC but I wouldn’t have thought rabies required extra again. People who complain about vet fees don’t really understand the costs in the UK.
My local vets for pets that we use was the one that didn’t give the rabies jab anymore.

All the private investment companies buying up the chains and individual vets aren’t doing the general public any favours, they certainly aren’t paying the vets more either.

Alas another example of corporate greed in the UK.

The belgian vet we used for the passports said it was heading that way in Belgium too. :-(

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
Agree that it is safer to just go along with another rabies vaccination, however it is not actually necessary in order to obtain a Pet Passport. Having said that, most EU vets seem to insist on one anyway.
When I used Dr Jaucot to get a PP, she transferred the details on the AHC.
No need for another jab as they had already just had one in the UK. 👍🏻
Once I was asked at PP Eurotunnel whether or not I had French issued PP. Don’t know what that was about. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Nov 15, 2023
North London
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SP Aut
Exp
Since 2008
When I used Dr Jaucot to get a PP, she transferred the details on the AHC.
No need for another jab as they had already just had one in the UK. 👍🏻
Once I was asked at PP Eurotunnel whether or not I had French issued PP. Don’t know what that was about. 🤷🏼‍♂️
I am having my dog’s pet passport done at Petsworld La Zenia, Spain on Tuesday, they said he will have a rabies booster-my dog had his first rabies jab on 18 March 24? Together with his annual jab & kennel cough vaccination as it’s cheaper in Spain. I use to do this with my previous dog as I regularly use to go abroad.

Jan 2, 2022
North Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2019
Great. Thanks so much for your help.

So upon getting my dog's pet passport in the EU, I'll also need to get new rabies vaccinations (even though her vaccines are up to date, but have been administered by UK vets) by the EU vet?
Our dog had a rabies jab two months before we went to Spain but Spanish Vet said she still needed one, administered by him, for her PP.
He explained that it wouldn’t harm her, as they used to administer one a month for 3 months.

Once you have the PP, you will need to ensure that your dog has the next rabies vaccination in the EU before the run out date.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back