European breakdown insurance? (2 Viewers)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Has anyone got any ideas as to the best now?
I know rac hasn't had the best reviews on here lately but I have been looking around for our forthcoming trip and they have a big discount on at the moment and they are not much more than others who I have never heard of.
Had a quote for annual £188 , shall I go for it or has anyone else got a better idea.
Thanks.
Edit btw the cheapest I can find is £120 but as I say , never heard of them before.

Oct 18, 2021
Northampton, UK
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Apache 700
Exp
Some....good & bad!
I moved my bank account to Nationwide as the monthly cost with included breakdown and travel insurance was far cheaper than paying for them separately.
If you don't want to do that, try CAMC's Green Flag scheme.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I have mine through motor insurance via AIB. I think it's about 80 pounds for full EU breakdown cover

Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
TBH, I think they are all as bad as each other! If your expectations are a full repatriation service, then you need a very different policy than mainstream.

However, if you are happy with a bod turning up and ultimately, when they have sent three different recovery trucks out before they send one appropriately sized to move you, then take you to a strange garage who haven’t got a clue about your vehicle and can’t look at it for two weeks, then you can go for one of the mainstream ‘compare the market’ type breakdown covers.

As far as I’m can work out, you’re on your own once they have got you off the Auto Pista.

Sep 13, 2016
Okehampton
Funster No
MH
Swift Mondial
Exp
Since 2016
We have LV= covers up to 7.5tonnes and up to 8m. Only £80 per year

✓ The benefits of Comprehensive
✓ Added cover for Europe including:
✓ Help at the roadside
✓ Recovery to a local garage within 10 miles (including
attached caravans & trailers)
✓ If your vehicle can’t be repaired by the end of the
working day you can choose either a hire car, alternative transport or overnight accommodation (please refer to the Breakdown Policy Document for further details)
✓ If it’s not possible to repair your vehicle in time
for your return to the UK we’ll pay for it to be transported home along with you, your passengers and your luggage

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
TBH, I think they are all as bad as each other! If your expectations are a full repatriation service, then you need a very different policy than mainstream.

However, if you are happy with a bod turning up and ultimately, when they have sent three different recovery trucks out before they send one appropriately sized to move you, then take you to a strange garage who haven’t got a clue about your vehicle and can’t look at it for two weeks, then you can go for one of the mainstream ‘compare the market’ type breakdown covers.

As far as I’m can work out, you’re on your own once they have got you off the Auto Pista.
Absolutely agree with that but what do you do ,you don't know till you want them.
And some of these cheap ones might be fine or little more than a scam.
I have always gone with a cheap one but never needed them and looking around the RAC with this offer are not so far out so wondering whether to give them a go.
I can also get green flag but they are similar in price to rac.

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
We have LV= covers up to 7.5tonnes and up to 8m. Only £80 per year

✓ The benefits of Comprehensive
✓ Added cover for Europe including:
✓ Help at the roadside
✓ Recovery to a local garage within 10 miles (including
attached caravans & trailers)
✓ If your vehicle can’t be repaired by the end of the
working day you can choose either a hire car, alternative transport or overnight accommodation (please refer to the Breakdown Policy Document for further details)
✓ If it’s not possible to repair your vehicle in time
for your return to the UK we’ll pay for it to be transported home along with you, your passengers and your luggage
But do you have to have insurance with them as well?

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Just tried LV online quote asks only what cover required no questions about vehicle £152 no home start no onward travel
Had this and btw I got the same quote whether I had home start and onwards or not (y)

Sep 13, 2016
Okehampton
Funster No
MH
Swift Mondial
Exp
Since 2016
Just tried LV online quote asks only what cover required no questions about vehicle £152 no home start no onward travel
Sorry, forgot got mine through Boundless (CSMA), get good discounts on all insurances. Just looked on the LV website and comprehensive for £152 does give repatriation with the European cover

IMG_4462.png
IMG_4462.png
IMG_4462.png

Jan 2, 2024
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Peugeot boxer
Exp
Had this and btw I got the same quote whether I had home start and onwards or not (y)
Does not seem to be fair same price regardless of age,miles,make,type... won't be using LV. Had car and home with them until last renewal ,came in way dearer than others,home twice as much

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I would always check the fine print for the duration of cover in Europe. It might be well buried in the T&Cs and might be very short.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
We just used the one which comes with Comfort insurance. My premium went up £70 at renewal an increase of 17.5% over last year, which I didn't think was bad considering some horror stories on here.
Their breakdown does include repatriation of vehicle if needed.

Oct 18, 2022
South West
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 1992
Deluxe cover with Britannia (LV) via Boundless cost me £110 last November. Includes European cover for nominated vehicle and personal cover in the UK for me & wife.
I’ve also got car & travel insurance with LV so may have got a discount?

Jan 12, 2020
Funster No
MH
Burstner i681
Exp
Since 2018
Another vote for LV who use Britannia. They are about £100pa when you take cover along with their MH insurance. Cover for 180 days in EU + some others countries you’ll need to check. When the cambelt went in Spain last year they were great and did everything they said they would.

For those who want repatriation the terms like many policies stipulate that if the work can’t be carried out locally they will repatriate the MH, subject to the price of repatriation being less than the value of the MH. I think the term ‘if the work can’t be carried out locally’ is quite a high bar as others have discovered with over cover providers!

Pugsy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 3, 2018
D&G
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 2012
£114 with saga (RAC) and I used it last week in Bilbao when my alternator went . Kept me updated , slept in van that night and they recovered me next day to a garage (Friday) the garage stayed open untill 6pm normally closes 2pm on a Friday to get it fixed as i had the ferry to Portsmouth the next day.got it sorted and drove straight to ferry and parked there overnight,cant fault them.
Cheers Cris 🍻.

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
Does your bank offer a current account that for a monthly fee provides insurance and breakdown cover. U need a joint account if the better half is to be covered as well.
Or do you just stuff all your cash under the bed ( don't answer that on an open forum - U might get some unwelcome visitors)

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Does your bank offer a current account that for a monthly fee provides insurance and breakdown cover. U need a joint account if the better half is to be covered as well.
Or do you just stuff all your cash under the bed ( don't answer that on an open forum - U might get some unwelcome visitors)
My bank Lloyds does but it ends at 65.

Mar 23, 2024
Upton, Pontefract, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift 590PR on Fiat
Exp
Since 2018
Has anyone got any ideas as to the best now?
I know rac hasn't had the best reviews on here lately but I have been looking around for our forthcoming trip and they have a big discount on at the moment and they are not much more than others who I have never heard of.
Had a quote for annual £188 , shall I go for it or has anyone else got a better idea.
Thanks.
Edit btw the cheapest I can find is £120 but as I say , never heard of them before.
We have Insurance with Caravan Guard. They were on the ball when we got stuck in France. Tow truck with us in the middle of nowhere in 1 hour. Can't fault em.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Question: Don't any of these breakdown companies employ mechanics/drivers to come to your assistance at the roadside anymore? I do realise that most vehicles are more complicated with sensors & ECU ect that can let go at anytime, but most of the stories I have read on here seem to say that they are just recovery drivers, that will load you up and transport you to the nearest garage.
One other point that I have noticed is they ask when your UK return ferry or chunnel date is, they will only repatriate you & the vehicle if their nominated garage cannot fix or get the parts required before your scheduled return ticket date.
I assume this is to help those get home & back to work (if they still work) in time, however if you have not booked your return ticket, and are even worse retired, then that changes things, they don't have to repatriate the vehicle as waiting for parts required is a cheaper option for them.
Also remember the case of the Funsters breaking down in France last summer, The RAC didnt even offer them hotel accommodation as they had a motor home to live in, they were towed to a garage on an industrial estate that was closed for a bank holiday, had to stay on the road outside, and The RAC didnt even fulfil their promise to keep them informed or return phone calls.
In the end after much trauma, they had to pay to have their van repatriated with some useful help from funsters that found a UK company to go out and bring them & the van back, at their own expense.
I am sure others on here will remember the names of the funsters, and a lot more of the detail.
I just hope they got some financial recompense from The RAC for the way their breakdown, and assistance after that was so poorly handled.
RAC Breakdown....NO WAY!
LES

Jan 12, 2020
Funster No
MH
Burstner i681
Exp
Since 2018
Or do you just stuff all your cash under the

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back