eSIM card (4 Viewers)

Sep 30, 2022
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68
I have a MH WiFi router Huawei. Often have issues about amount of data, one possible solution is eSIM transferred to a physical card.

How do I get an eSIM onto a physical card?

Regards

BOOMEL

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
dont think you can, especially if your esim provider isnt your usual carrier.

Jul 24, 2023
Funster No
MH
RPMOTORHOMES Rebel
Exp
New to van life
You can’t turn eSIM in to a plastic SIM. To use an eSIM your router must support them directly.

125BEER

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 5, 2018
PLYMOUTH
Funster No
MH
BENIMAR MILEO 282
Exp
Since 09 2018
Looks like it will save you from buying a new esim compatible phone.
Can't find any alternative yet or feedback for esimme but good if it works...👍

Cheers 🍻

Jul 24, 2023
Funster No
MH
RPMOTORHOMES Rebel
Exp
New to van life
It only claims to work on some Android phones so no good for a router.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I thought you could use this on phone and transfer over https://esim.me/
I've just had a shuftie and it seems that you still get a physical 'esim' sim card which you use instead of your normal physical sim card. You have to have providers who does esims so you can download their profiles onto the 'esim' card after which you can remove it from your phone and put it in your router just as you would with a normal physical sim card.

Move eSIM profiles across devices:​

With eSIM.me, you benefit from the flexibility to use your eSIM profiles on any device with a SIM card slot. Once an eSIM profile is installed and activated via the eSIM.me APP, you can move the eSIM.me card to another device and use it there.

Jul 24, 2023
Funster No
MH
RPMOTORHOMES Rebel
Exp
New to van life
That sounds very good - there are some good eSIM options now available and eSIMs are easy and quick to get. I have a router that supports eSIM directly so don’t need this but if it works it’s a good upgrade for those with older routers. I guess if you need to switch from one eSIM to the next you have to put this card back in the android phobe and use the app.

OP
OP
BOOMEL
Sep 30, 2022
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68
That sounds very good - there are some good eSIM options now available and eSIMs are easy and quick to get. I have a router that supports eSIM directly so don’t need this but if it works it’s a good upgrade for those with older routers. I guess if you need to switch from one eSIM to the next you have to put this card back in the android phobe and use the app.
Which eSIM router do you have?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 24, 2023
Funster No
MH
RPMOTORHOMES Rebel
Exp
New to van life
Pepwave MAX Transit Duo Pro - this model has two cell modems so I can connect to two mobile LTE networks at the same time.

Then I can bond these together using Pepwave Speed Fusion it gives a very reliable internet connection. I have been running some tests - in 2 months travelling through France, Switzerland, Germany, and up to Norway - I was testing connectivity every 60 seconds 24/7 (including while in tunnels but switched off only on long off-shore ferry journeys). I was on line 99.82% of the time.

We need our internet connection when moving not just when parked up. So this is ideal for us.

The MAX Transit Duo allows for 2 plastic SIMs and 2 eSIM on each modem - with lots of clever ways to set it up so it uses the cheapest or fastest first.

I have found the best way to set up is to get SIM/eSIM combinations that connect to different networks, this way one or other has a good connection at any time.

Another advantage of this unit is you can add a Starlink if you wish and it will bond this in to your link as well. I was planning to get a Starlink but have found the bonded LTE networks is perfect for everything we need - watching TV, video conferencing, email etc.

I can leave it on all the time as it only draws about 1A - Starlink requires far too much power for us when we are not on an EHU, is no good on the move and is no use when hiding from the sun in the shade of trees. So we are not going to bother with the hassle of Starlink at all.

We always get at least 10 Mbit/sec download everywhere and sometimes over 200Mbit/sec - this is when we get 2 good 4G LTE-A signals.

I did not consider 5G due to the cost but I have not found any 5G coverage on my iPhone out of towns so don’t really think it’s useful in a van yet.

However the category 20 modem option on the MAX transit duo had been well worth the extra - it gives you access to LTE-A which runs at twice the speed of LTE - in many situations I have got over 200Mbit/sec download with LTE-A.

The other thing that has been a top favourite is the ability to use a fusion hub (pepwave will sell you a small box to plug in to your home network or they give you the software free if you have a system to run it on). This allows all the devices in the van to emerge on to the internet from your home connection - no need for VPN software which I found very frustrating as it keeps getting blocked. BBC, Netflix etc. see you exactly as you are when at home so no problems with geo blocking. It also lets us look at devices on our home network while away.

So it’s quite an expensive when you add the two external antenna units - but it has been really good value. I was expecting to need a Starlink but not going to bother now! So that’s saved me £75/month!

The MAX Transit Pro has only one modem and is a lot cheaper it too has the eSIM feature.

PS just in case you wonder if I am selling pepwave - no just think I made the right purchase decision for myself and enjoy sharing!

I have found only some eSIMs work in pepwave so get a small one to test it out with before getting a big one.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
We are currently in Turkey using an e sim from Holafly in an iPhone 12 using it to access the web on my ipad 12. 18 Euro for 14 days unlimited data. From Turkey you cannot use it for phoning or text just what’s app and e mail/browsing.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back