Electric Bikes being stolen ! (1 Viewer)

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Just be careful where you secure your bikes in Nice as two were stolen today !
Major City, all bikes are at risk, no exceptions as far as I am aware. How many stolen in London, Sheffield, Nottingham, Bristol today?

Still worth reminding people though, but not restricted to Nice or to any particular city or major town. Toe rags are everywhere.

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Portsmouth Ferry overnight parking within the port...met a couple who lost theirs while they slept in van....very professional job...they heard nothing to alert them..

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
Portsmouth Ferry overnight parking within the port...met a couple who lost theirs while they slept in van....very professional job...they heard nothing to alert them..
Why does someone keep expensive ebikes on a rack. That's why we got our van as it has a garage last one didn't (well not big enough for bikes) to keep them out the way.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Why does someone keep expensive ebikes on a rack.
No option if you have a PVC, even folding models, be they e-bikes or pedal, would be too big for our van .. so we use a towbar rack.

We've had two bikes stolen... one in France another in Spain... one was cut off the rack on our RV at Capbreton, .. another was simply snatched while we waited outside a Liddl in a shopping centre .. . a bike is an easy target for the opportunist thief ..even out cycling ..

Last edited:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
We take the batteries and pedals off, chain the bikes together and use a cover whilst on the bike rack, whilst touring.

We remove batteries, primarily to reduce weight.. and a Kryptonite lock will slow them down .. But nothing will stop a determined thief..

On another aire in France we had a saddle stolen.. wasn't even that special.. maybe just a prank ..

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I secure my not inexpensive gravel bike or mountain bike to our Thule rack with two d-locks with some cable loops.

I took the rack off the other week to get a cheaper ferry ticket. It can be removed with a screwdriver in 2 minutes. So a determined pair of thieves with a van could just grab the whole rack very easily.

I've already got a VanBitz alarm with an accessory loop wire that I can loop through the bike and rack that provides a bit more protection.

Regardless, if thieves want to be quick and don't mind being noisy, pretty much all locks are removable in a minute.

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
We remove batteries, primarily to reduce weight.. and a Kryptonite lock will slow them down .. But nothing will stop a determined thief..

On another aire in France we had a saddle stolen.. wasn't even that special.. maybe just a prank ..
Problem is most racks are alloy so just cut thru that then sort the lock out later.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Don’t forget to use the bike register use one of there marking kits ours has the UV version with microdots so even if the bike is stripped the redistration goes with bike components. Use good mechanical locks and insure them

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Problem is most racks are alloy so just cut thru that then sort the lock out later.
true..

but even a garage isn't 100% safe, they are easily broken into.. ..

when we reported the bike theft in France , the police told us the thief watches when you go out cycling and target you for a theft in the night..

best is to take 'pub bikes'.. expensive bikes will always be at risk..

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
true..

but even a garage isn't 100% safe, they are easily broken into.. ..

when we reported the bike theft in France , the police told us the thief watches when you go out cycling and target you for a theft in the night..

best is to take 'pub bikes'.. expensive bikes will always be at risk
I agree on the take pub bikes bit. I think if you put a few grands worth of bikes on the back of the motorhome and they get nicked you have partly yourself to blame. It's like walking into a shop in a dodgy area and pulling a wad of cash out. I'm not blaming the victim for the crime but it's a good idea not to act in a way to make becoming a victim more likely.

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
I agree on the take pub bikes bit. I think if you put a few grands worth of bikes on the back of the motorhome and they get nicked you have partly yourself to blame. It's like walking into a shop in a dodgy area and pulling a wad of cash out. I'm not blaming the victim for the crime but it's a good idea not to act in a way to make becoming a victim more likely.

It's a shame that we can't just do 'normal' things but, unfortunately, your comment is 100% true. I often wish the world could be split in half, with all the nice people in one half and all the scrotes in the other. Having said that, if we built more prisons and dished out more and longer punishments, we'd all be a lot safer and fewer people would be claiming benefits; both those locked away and those employed to ensure they stay there. A win/win situation :)

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
It's a shame that we can't just do 'normal' things but, unfortunately, your comment is 100% true. I often wish the world could be split in half, with all the nice people in one half and all the scrotes in the other. Having said that, if we built more prisons and dished out more and longer punishments, we'd all be a lot safer and fewer people would be claiming benefits; both those locked away and those employed to ensure they stay there. A win/win situation :)
I don't think there's a lot of evidence that locking more people up actually reduces crime a lot . I haven't looked at the figures but suspect societies that are relatively wealthy but with a smaller difference between the haves and have nots have less crime.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
if we built more prisons and dished out more and longer punishments, we'd all be a lot safer and fewer people would be claiming benefits;
no evidence that that works.. .. ..

and it costs more to keep a scrote in prisoner than paying benefits ..
Prison costs circa £48k per year, I doubt anyone gets £1k a week in benefits

Jan 10, 2015
East sussex
Funster No
MH
2002 Eura mobile
Exp
Since 2014
I’ve had my e-bike for many years now & it’s always sat on the bike rack. Covered & locked with battery removed When not in use.
I’d be lost without it while away & we don’t have a garage big enough to put it inside.
I suppose it’s always been a risk but so far ok, we have travelled all over eu inc supposedly ”dodgy” places With no problems.
probably famous last words now!
Would I want to go back to a “pub” bike NO WAY, I’m too old for that.
It’s a balance of risk & need & I need my e-bike.

Jan 12, 2020
Funster No
MH
Burstner i681
Exp
Since 2018
I’ve had my e-bike for many years now & it’s always sat on the bike rack. Covered & locked with battery removed When not in use.
I’d be lost without it while away & we don’t have a garage big enough to put it inside.
I suppose it’s always been a risk but so far ok, we have travelled all over eu inc supposedly ”dodgy” places With no problems.
probably famous last words now!
Would I want to go back to a “pub” bike NO WAY, I’m too old for that.
It’s a balance of risk & need & I need my e-bike.
We are the same, 2 e-bikes on a rack under a cover for the last 5 years. To be fair half the motorhomes on the continent are the same so I think now, e-bikes being so common, you would be pretty unlucky to get yours stolen.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
We are the same, 2 e-bikes on a rack under a cover for the last 5 years. To be fair half the motorhomes on the continent are the same so I think now, e-bikes being so common, you would be pretty unlucky to get yours stolen.
We felt very safe leaving our bikes in Holland there were so many to choose from that you would be really unlucky to be the one nicked. I suppose thats getting more and more true with e bikes

stevewagner

LIFE MEMBER
May 14, 2013
Pevensey Bay
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yonks
How does locking people up reduce benefit claims?

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
My friend just had two very expensive bikes stolen. The thief smashed all locks on the garden gate and then smashed through her back door but only took both bikes, stored in the inner hallway, but ransacked the house probably looking for keys as it was drawers and coat pockets that were tipped out (she and her husband had the keys with them at work). The batteries were not with the bikes (they were charging in the old coal shed which wasn't touched) and were not taken so the thief dropped a cod there. The batteries in these bikes sit inside the frames so it could be the thief didn't realise they were not present.

The police think the bikes were stolen to order - probably dumped somewhere now. This is my friend who has toured Europe and some of Africa and Asia and part of New Zealand on her bike - now in her late 70s and thinks 100 miles on a bike is a short day!!!!! :(

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
no evidence that that works.. .. ..
I think it does work. 50% of thefts are committed by 5% of offenders. So identify these and give them a team of dedicated police to catch them at it, THEN imprison them for very long periods as repeat offenders.
Keep them off the streets and thefts fall by 50% immediately. If you also provide very, very high quality drug treatment programs, alongside training to those offenders you may not see them back in prison.
The £48,000 cost is worth it in my view.

However, I suspect you were talking about the deterrent value of long prison sentences. On that I agree. Unless you treat the cause and imprison them on the first offence and each following offence then there will be zero deterrence.

It will never happen, but I think if persistent offenders were permanently imprisoned it would cut crime in half.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
On the benefits front. Based on the benefits cap. To include housing benefits, council tax rebate etc etc totals 18K a year.
Add to this the cost of policing, insurance, damage etc. The cost of £48,000 to the tax pay would be offset by quite a bit.
Probably down the range of £25,000 a year. So basically a relatively small increase from £18k - £25K cost to the tax payer.
That £7K increase for a 50% drop in crime would be welcome by most and cheaper than paying for a lot more police?

Just my thoughts and rough calcs, but you get the idea.

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
We've just ordered a couple of new eBikes with some great anti theft stuff fitted..firstly the software disabled the motor and secondly it has a built in GPS tracker...if anyone knows me they will know that I'm only a small bloke but have a suitable hitting stick and a strong desire to maintain my possessions that my hard earned cash has provided...not like a common thief, who may have never done a hard days graft in his life..👍🥳🥳🥳

Apr 11, 2017
Earby, Lancashire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autocruse Select 144
Exp
started Oct. 2016
I know absolutely nothing about e-bikes, so your comment about damp has me confused. Can they not go out in the rain?
I think it was a slip of the tongue.
I ride mine in all weathers and through water with no concerns.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back