Electoral register hacked. All details stolen. (1 Viewer)

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
yes.

But they also had access to internal emails and documents which is highly concerning.

Also details of voters that don't appear on the registers for some reason, which may be of use to someone.
Thanks. That was why I was asking….. ducks are a bit slow on the uptake, you know

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
London used the Smartmatic electronic vote counting machines in the recent elections.

Would you be confident that such electronic voting systems, if rolled out across the UK for the next General Election, would increase or reduce the risk of electoral fraud?

My take is that humans counting paper votes in front of observers is still the better, more secure system, less open to widescale fraud or manipulation. Likewise, voting in person. Postal voting and ballot harvesting that goes with it is a big can of worms.

There is pressure as well to allow voting via smartphone. (Also reducing the voting age to 16, Labour's policy - a separate topic) What could possibly go wrong?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: GJH
Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Where does the government get it's money?

I have to presume you were being silly and just forgot to add an emoji to show this?

From the Magic Money Tree. As you told us, the Government can pay the interest to itself so the cost of borrowing is nil. :rolleyes:

• Funny
Reactions: GJH
Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
London used the Smartmatic electronic vote counting machines in the recent elections.

Would you be confident that such electronic voting systems, if rolled out across the UK for the next General Election, would increase or reduce the risk of electoral fraud?

My take is that humans counting paper votes in front of observers is still the better, more secure system, less open to widescale fraud or manipulation. Likewise, voting in person. Postal voting and ballot harvesting that goes with it is a big can of worms.

There is pressure as well to allow voting via smartphone. (Also reducing the voting age to 16, Labour's policy - a separate topic) What could possibly go wrong?
I don't disagree with what you say, however the days of in-person paper based voting systems have got to be numbered.
But by todays standards it's an already an archaic system, when electronic systems can do it so much better, faster and more accurately, and potentially be more secure.

Ballot tampering is nothing new, paper or electronic.

Think of the case of the 'hanging chads' in Florida which meant that President Gore was not elected in 2000. Bush got in, and almost immediately declared war on Iraq.
Proper electronic voting would have meant Gore won, and no war in Iraq and Global Warming would be less severe (and arguably Trump would not have won years later)

The only advantage of paper ballots is it means the tampering needs to be more widespread, involve more people and can be easier to detect, especially when the candidate wins 110% of the vote.

May 26, 2016
north wales
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
moderate
I've been shouting it from the rooftops for a long time now.
There is no such thing as a secret on a computer anywhere.
The Chinese Russians Americans and just about any other secret service have known all about you for many years now.
The recent electoral register hack is just a way of them updating their information.

ctc

Oct 12, 2015
Crowle
Funster No
MH
Hymer b680
Exp
New
More than a bit. This is critical data and should have been protected by the best security possible.

This is worrying as well though. Disclosure so the affected parties could take precautionary action if needed.

August 2021: hackers gain entry
October 2022: discovery of entry
August 2023: announcement of hack
That's quick for this government.

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
From the Magic Money Tree. As you told us, the Government can pay the interest to itself so the cost of borrowing is nil. :rolleyes:
Huh? What? I never to you anything.

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
That's quick for this government.
But it is not this government. That is a non governmental organisation specifically to prevent government meddling in elections.

ctc

Oct 12, 2015
Crowle
Funster No
MH
Hymer b680
Exp
New

It would depend on which friends of the government supplied supplied the voting system. The PEP scandal springs to mind.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
But it is not this government. That is a non governmental organisation specifically to prevent government meddling in elections.
In theory. The Electoral Commission was created by the Political Parties, Elections and Referendums Act 2000. The regulations under which it operates are controlled by parliament (by passing further legislation if it wishes), in effect the government of the day.

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
In theory. The Electoral Commission was created by the Political Parties, Elections and Referendums Act 2000. The regulations under which it operates are controlled by parliament (by passing further legislation if it wishes), in effect the government of the day.
It is independent of government. If government changed the rules to suite itself it would be publicly visible. But that was not the point.

My point was that this government is not responsible for this security breach, the independent of government organisation is.

Dec 19, 2020
The salty bit of Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017
Oh well, I had a postal vote. Next time I shan't have to bother even with that. My vote for Militant Tendency/ Workers Revolutionary Party will probably be done for me.

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Putin will be using your details to rig his ballots when he re elects for President next year. :rofl:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back