Electoral register hacked. All details stolen. (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
A bit worrying

:(
More than a bit. This is critical data and should have been protected by the best security possible.

This is worrying as well though. Disclosure so the affected parties could take precautionary action if needed.

August 2021: hackers gain entry
October 2022: discovery of entry
August 2023: announcement of hack

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Why does the Electoral Commission need to hold this massive database anyway? Is this an example of overreach. The ICO should tell the Electoral Commission to desist immediately.

I never expected that. Surely it is only necessary for each Local Authority to hold personal details of local electors/voters.

Will we all get compensation? If Celebs get substantial compo for phone hacking, why not us ordinary folk.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 3, 2020
Up the Hamble
Funster No
MH
Ace Siena
Exp
Since 2019
I wonder what accounts for the 10 month gap between discovering the hack and letting those affected (us) know of the potential risk? Seems to me that there should be a few jobs at risk in the Electoral Commission, particularly in whatever dept is responsible for cyber security but at the top as well . . . .

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Why does the Electoral Commission need to hold this massive database anyway? Is this an example of overreach. The ICO should tell the Electoral Commission to desist immediately.

I never expected that. Surely it is only necessary for each Local Authority to hold personal details of local electors/voters.
I am grateful to them for this example.

No end of times I have to explain to clients that I do not keep their usernames/password or other valuable data on my system in case it gets hacked. They ask me don't I trust myself and my procedures. I tell them I do, but I don't trust ALL the software I use 100% and no one should. If hackers get onto my system and I kept client data, that would be 100s of companies at risk with all their clients data at risk. It would be massive.

My point to them is if I don't hold the information I cannot leak it, lose it or abuse it. The small price to pay is I have to ask each time they want me to do some thing for them, and I tell them to reset their password immediately after.

The first and most important step as you rightly point out in information security is. If you don't NEED the information you shouldn't hold it. The 2nd rule is if you don't need it all the time, then it should not be accessible via any online system.

I can now give my clients another example of why I don't hold their data.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
I am not sure how people can pass the online verification / credit checks if they aren't on the electoral register. That tends to indicate that such a national database does exist, and the information is being disclosed to third parties quite freely.

I did a quick search on data.gov.uk. It surprised me that there are examples of electoral roll datasets that are open data. e.g.

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
I wonder what accounts for the 10 month gap between discovering the hack and letting those affected (us) know of the potential risk? Seems to me that there should be a few jobs at risk in the Electoral Commission, particularly in whatever dept is responsible for cyber security but at the top as well . . . .
Risk assessment, project management etc etc. Endless Committees, travelling expenses.

Oh they have upgraded the firewall.

Screenshot_20230808_153803_eBay.jpg

Project started in 1982, they bought the hardware, but it's been WIP since estimated spend so for £176 million

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
I am not sure how people can pass the online verification / credit checks if they aren't on the electoral register. That tends to indicate that such a national database does exist, and the information is being disclosed to third parties quite freely.

I did a quick search on data.gov.uk. It surprised me that there are examples of electoral roll datasets that are open data. e.g.

Online checks etc may relate to the credit history, I know some people have chosen not to be registered..

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022

The Open Register is available to anyone who wants it but is it easy enough to opt out, meaning that the data will only be available to certain bodies/people allowed by law. Those people include electoral candidates whose security at home may not be of the highest level.
About 57% of voters have opted out (so the data on 43% of the hacked records will be in the public domain anyway).
Registration is compulsory, except in certain circumstances, and those who choose not to register face being fined.
See https://www.gov.uk/electoral-register

Apr 24, 2023
Funster No
MH
Herald 400RL
Not sure why they think it acceptable to send electoral data over email! You would think it stored in an airgapped archive if necessary to keep it for x years...

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
To be honest, it's not a big leak, as most of the data on voters is in the public domain.
You can buy the registers totally legally.

So it's just possible the hackers were getting the data to pass onto marketing companies on the cheap.

What is of more concern is access to their Emails and no doubt internal documents.
It may give 'hostile actors' clues on how to skew the ballot in some places.

The bottom line is the perennial problem that the UK does not an ID system, there is no compulsory voting, there is no transferable votes, no proportion representation, and voters need to 'register', and it's not in the interests of the two ruling parties to correct any of the issues.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp

Will we all get compensation? If Celebs get substantial compo for phone hacking, why not us ordinary folk.
Who would pay for compensation for everyone on the electoral role........all the people on the electoral role plus all the admin expences doing it!. Not a great idea!

Reactions: GJH

dna

Jan 17, 2010
Llandudno
Funster No
MH
AT Tribute 680 pvc
Exp
since 2009
Oh crap. Glad I am not on the register currently.

I'm intrigued!.

If you aren't on the register anywhere, do you get any problems trying to get financial products or any other things where an address look up is involved?

MarionK

Free Member
Nov 4, 2021
Essex UK (currently ;) )
Funster No
MH
Ducato Cheyenne 585
I'm intrigued!.

If you aren't on the register anywhere, do you get any problems trying to get financial products or any other things where an address look up is involved?
Interesting point. I did have problems with some security check recently, as I wasn't on some 'credit' register. At the time we concluded it was because I don't have any loans, not even a mortgage, but now I'm wondering if actually it's because I'm not on the electoral roll (through choice). Perhaps it was a combination. 🤷‍♀️

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
To be honest, it's not a big leak, as most of the data on voters is in the public domain.
You can buy the registers totally legally.

So it's just possible the hackers were getting the data to pass onto marketing companies on the cheap.

What is of more concern is access to their Emails and no doubt internal documents.
It may give 'hostile actors' clues on how to skew the ballot in some places.

The bottom line is the perennial problem that the UK does not an ID system, there is no compulsory voting, there is no transferable votes, no proportion representation, and voters need to 'register', and it's not in the interests of the two ruling parties to correct any of the issues.
So they just stole something that they could have purchased anyway?

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
On the register

• Your name, address, nationality and date of birth;
  • Unique identifiers (such as National Insurance Number);
  • Signatures for absent vote checking;
  • Scanned application forms, documentary evidence, dates of any letters of correspondence;
  • Notes about any relevant circumstances that you have told us;
  • Your previous or any redirected address;
  • The other occupants in your home;
  • If you are over 76 or under 16/17
  • Whether you have chosen to opt out of the open version of the register.
The Electoral Registration Officer processes the following special category personal information:

• Race and ethnic origin, insofar as it may be possible for this to be inferred from nationality information
  • Health data - this may be contained within applications to vote by post or proxy
  • Data relating to Anonymous Registration.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
The closed part of the electoral roll is definitely of value and dangerous in the wrong hands. Think people who rely on anonymity for their security. Everyone from politicians and their families all the way through to people who escaped abusive relationships or in hiding because of testifying in criminal cases

Sep 13, 2016
Okehampton
Funster No
MH
Swift Mondial
Exp
Since 2016
I’m sure that people forget that every house had a book with everyone’s name, address and telephone number in it and an updated version was sent out each year.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I’m sure that people forget that every house had a book with everyone’s name, address and telephone number in it and an updated version was sent out each year.
but you could opt out of that too

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back