Ducato Factory tyre pressure monitors (1 Viewer)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Definitely got it Lenny. My son managed to change the pressure settings through the OBD for me, so he knows more than the Fiat dealer. It was a factory fit option. One of the £20k worth of optional equipment that the person or dealer that specced the motorhome chose. Listed at £140. Just noticed from the option price list that the "optional spare wheel" is not equipped with tyre pressure monitoring sensor. That clearly suggests that there are sensors in the wheels.
Not seen it on any of the Hymer price lists I have, I'll have another look.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Don’t know but they must be the best batteries in the world as I have never changed them in Denise’s car and that is 8 years old.
My car senses the difference rotations of each wheel is the best way of describing it.
Some cars use the ABS ring to calculate relative speed of rotation of the wheels, a wheel with a low pressure tyre will spin faster, later models use a sensor in the wheel, our previous BMW 3 series had the ABS type but the current one has the sensors in the wheels, you can tell the difference firstly from the readout on the dash as the sensor type shows actual pressure rather than just OK the second clue is the type of valve stem as the early ABS ring type just has a rubber valve where the in wheel sensor has metal valve stem, ours are still working at 9 years but the motorhome two were dead at 4 years.

And a word of warning about the valve stems that are alloy (on ours anyway) so they don't like having brass extension pipes or even metal valve caps screwed on.

IMG_2365.jpeg

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Internal sensors do not have batteries,in very simple terms they are" powdered" by radiowaves.Not but think in terms of microwave ovens.
They tend to last around 5 to 10 yrs.
If the light is on on the dash it's an MOT fail even if the tyre is obviously correctly inflated!
External (big valve caps) are usually battery powered
Ours in the MH and the car are Schrader and they say they have a battery.

Jan 2, 2024
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Peugeot boxer
Exp
Ours in the MH and the car are Schrader and they say they have a battery.

Should have said most .... sorry.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Just looked at some articles evidently using a tin of gunk after a puncture ruins the sensor!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Just had new tyres on our car that has them, we was told it's a replacement the batteries are not changed, once inflated you set them on the menu on the dashboard, so we will replace when they stop working, but the tyre fitter said having nitrogen in tyres stops condensation and they last a lot longer. 👍😁 Bob.

20240217_142819.jpg

Jan 2, 2024
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Peugeot boxer
Exp
Like many of the gizmos on modern vehicles obviously a lot of people choose to buy pass them as several emulators are available.
Personally I like my after market solar powered kit,works very well (had it 2 yrs) shows tyre pressure and temperature,checked it a few times Vs a traditional pressure gauge in the early days .
Cost under £20 changed batteries in sensors about a year ago.If it develops a fault get another.( Smear of silicone grease on thread of sensor)

May 21, 2019
South Coast
Funster No
MH
Bailey Advance
Exp
Since 2015
Direct TPMS sensors ,fitted since 2014/15 have embeded batteries that last about 5- 7 years , the receiver is mounted on the front subframe , offset to one side so all sensors are at different distances to it , that's how it can determine where each sensor is fitted . The sensors themselves don't know what wheels they are fitted to , they just report pressures / temperatures.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back