Download streamed TV to play later (1 Viewer)

Dec 22, 2018
Tasmania, Australia (northern summer in Europe)
Funster No
MH
Hymer Classic B584
Exp
Since 2019
One of my big internet data users is streaming TV, either paid or catchup (Netflix, BBC etc). I just couldn't get a sim with enough data to use it this year or was out of signal range. Luckily I'd prepared with a load of movies on a hard drive.

I've been looking for something that might allow me to save stuff while at home to watch later (from the ones I've subscribed to). Found these apps:

PlayOn Cloud (Mac, iOS, Android) up to 1080p, but you pay for each download. Currently on sale as low as 11 US cents (US$40 for 350)

PlayOn Home (Windows) only to 720p. Currently on sale US$40 unlimited for 1 year.

I'm just trialling the Mac version (7 downloads in a week trial).

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
My wife downloads from iplayer to her Mac laptop without paying anybody. She has a USB C to HDMI cable to display on the motorhome tv.

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
I found most but not all of my downloads were date stamped and unavailable after about 30 days. You also need at least indows 8 on a PC for Netflix. I also somehow managed to use data whilst viewing downloaded content - no idea on that one though.

Oct 30, 2016
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Le voyageur 8.5
Exp
On 3rd van so not a total newbie....
I have been downloading whilst on WiFi to my phone, then using a usb-c to hdmi lead to playback.
You will need quite a bit of storage on your phone though.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
wfdTamar
Dec 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
Hymer Classic B584
Exp
Since 2019
Right, well the program in the first post will get around both those issues (they reckon). It saves the files as mp4 which should play on lots of devices.

I stored all my stuff on a portable 2Tb hard drive which plugs into the TV. If your TV can't supply enough power to run it, use your laptop to transfer stuff to a USB thumb drive which the TV should have no trouble running. Saves having to have the computer on just to watch on the TV. Although even watching on a laptop screen is ok. My MacBook Pro is excellent for that (really good sound & picture).

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
We have not had any date problems with BBC downloads from iPlayer so far.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
For something I really want to save that can't be downloaded I use a HDMI to USB converter from digi box to pc then copy it to my Android TV box which has 64gb of memory (also has USB & SD slots) which we use in the van. Only downside is you have to do it in real time.

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
As said above, you can download BBC iPlayer stuff if you install their download app. All free but usually time limited. Time varies but 30 days is usually minimum.

All4 is an odd one. You can download stuff if using the app on phone or tablet but you don't get that option on a PC laptop. Not sure what is does on a Mac.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I just checked. The BBC iPlayer downloads last as long as they are available on the iPlayer. Many of their programmes are 1 year which is why we have not yet hit a time limit yet.

OP
OP
wfdTamar
Dec 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
Hymer Classic B584
Exp
Since 2019
Yes, but only a certain amount and time limited. I do 4 month long trips so want to save up a heap of stuff, but that would get you through a shorter period. Depends how much you watch and how long you're away from home (or an unlimited/big data plan).

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Yes, but only a certain amount and time limited. I do 4 month long trips so want to save up a heap of stuff, but that would get you through a shorter period. Depends how much you watch and how long you're away from home (or an unlimited/big data plan).
I have no idea why this wouldnt work but download a shed load on to a spare 128gb card for your phone. Thats roughly 130 films or a film a day. Should you watch more then 128gb cards are 12 quid and reusable.
256 gb micro cards are only 16 nicker

Apr 7, 2022
34390 Saint-Étienne-d'Albagnan, France
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 70
Exp
For BBC TV or radio i have always used get_iplayer, its not for everyone as it is a bit geeky, there is a command line interface or a web browser interface. The output is in standard MP4 format, anything that is available on BBC iplayer is downloadable and fairly easy to get it to download whole series.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
For BBC TV or radio i have always used get_iplayer, its not for everyone as it is a bit geeky, there is a command line interface or a web browser interface. The output is in standard MP4 format, anything that is available on BBC iplayer is downloadable and fairly easy to get it to download whole series.
The standard BBC iPlayer has a download button which works for us, don’t think I want to be using command lines. Presumably your method still carries the date stamp that can limit the replay period of some downloads.

OP
OP
wfdTamar
Dec 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
Hymer Classic B584
Exp
Since 2019
Just an update on PlayOn Cloud - I'm in the process of downloading the free 7 you get in the trial. It's quite a strange process. It first gets it and stores it in their cloud storage. You can store it there as long as you pay for storage and play it direct from there (in effect streaming it). Or you get an email with a link to download it so you can put it anywhere you like. If you do that you could delete it from the cloud storage.

You buy plans with download credits and storage space. 720p quality costs 1 credit. 1080 quality costs 3 credits. I think I'd go for the Windows version - Playon Home which does unlimited for a year for US$40, but only 720p. The TV in my Hymer is 720p so that's ok. 1080 stuff I have I can watch on my MacBook if I prefer.

Apr 7, 2022
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 70
Exp
The standard BBC iPlayer has a download button which works for us, don’t think I want to be using command lines. Presumably your method still carries the date stamp that can limit the replay period of some downloads.
It is a bit loose in that respect, it will remove files at the correct time, but there is nothing to stop you moving them somewhere else. I hardly use it tgese days, but it worked realy well when i only had a very slow download speed.

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
I use an old phone to download from BBC, netflix and Amazon, the BBC will only save to the phone the others save to an SD card so space is no problem. I got a usb to hdmi lead and play back through the TV. The phone has no SIM card but I can use it to stream to the TV from WiFi or using my main phone as a hotspot.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
It removes the date stamp.

OP
OP
wfdTamar
Dec 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
Hymer Classic B584
Exp
Since 2019
Right, got my free 7 videos from PlayOn Cloud (on the Mac). You're supposed to be able to download them to anywhere on your computer, but the trial ending seemed to have hidden them away. I could still play them in the app, but not get them to put on a hard drive. I think it's only a bug due to the trial, but they're here if you want to find them:

First open your User Library folder by opening a window in the Finder, hold down the Option key and select Library from the Go menu. Then the downloaded PlayOn video's are here:

{Username} - Library - Containers - PlayOn Cloud - Data - Documents

The files have a 'downloaded by {your name}' warning at the start of the movie. If that bothered you it could be edited out.

The other thing that bothered me is in the location above it had a lot of alias's to the user files folders and Library data that wasn't anything to do with the app. I couldn't think why they needed that, so I deleted them and the app still works. I'm guessing best case they just needed access to a spot to put the downloaded files. Worst case they're sniffing through all your files looking for financial data and passwords.

Apart from the minor inconvenience finding the files during the trial it all seems to work ok. I'm going to try the Windows version as it's a better deal.

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Following this thread with interest. I’ve downloaded the iPlayer download app to my Mac Air. I then went to BBCi player and managed to download a program. But I’d like to download it to my 2TB hard drive that I will use in the van.
Can I download directly to the portable drive or if if not, how do I go about transferring the download in my mac to the portable drive? Where is it stored on my mac?

Edit: Hopefully sorted. Changed destination on download app to 2TB hard drive, so saved there now. Busy downloading at moment but will test that it works on house TV. If that works ok, will take it to can next time I’m there and see how it works with the Avtex.

Last edited:

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Following this thread with interest. I’ve downloaded the iPlayer download app to my Mac Air. I then went to BBCi player and managed to download a program. But I’d like to download it to my 2TB hard drive that I will use in the van.
Can I download directly to the portable drive or if if not, how do I go about transferring the download in my mac to the portable drive? Where is it stored on my mac?
Looks like an iPlayer app setting can help. Here

Apr 7, 2022
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 70
Exp
I dont think you can, i think iplayer puts the files where it wants and if you move them it looses the link to them so you wont be able to play them. But I dont know macs very well so I could be wrong.

Apr 7, 2022
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 70
Exp
This might work, but you might find if you try to specify a different device it wont let you, try asking the question to bbc iplayer support, sometimes i have had some usefull help.
If not as i have mentioned earlier get_iplayer works well, but i have only ever used it on a pc.
Here is a link to the mac version.

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
This might work, but you might find if you try to specify a different device it wont let you, try asking the question to bbc iplayer support, sometimes i have had some usefull help.
Yes, shd be OK on a PC. Needs trying by the interested Mac party.
On Windows it’s got built in settings that you can use to direct User folder saves to another location.
That feature really helped to build a PC with SSD boot drive (c: for e.g.) and a larger HHD data drive (d: )

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back