LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2017
Nr Bicester
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2019
I'm going to get Harry Schnoodle a raincoat for this winter. We keep his coat close trimmed as it mats terribly and because he's more poodle than schnauzer in both looks and coat he doesn't have the wiry top coat of a schnauzer.
I noticed a couple of times earlier this year, when it was wet and chilly, he came home shivering from his morning walk because his coat was wet through to the skin.
I've been trying to work out what coat would be a good one, I don't want anything with long legs to it as he's active and its going to be hard enough to get him used to it anyway, I definitely don't want something which might look good on a small child, just a proper dog waterproof for a dog.
Can anybody suggest/recommend one?

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
Yes.
We have the blue ones for our four - and I’ve even got a matching ‘human’ one…….! ;)

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
I found that the Danish style dog cost gave a waterproof outer with a detachable warm liner .
Easy to fit and light.

pug lover

Free Member
Jul 31, 2022
Burnley UK
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
virgin
I'm going to get Harry Schnoodle a raincoat for this winter. We keep his coat close trimmed as it mats terribly and because he's more poodle than schnauzer in both looks and coat he doesn't have the wiry top coat of a schnauzer.
I noticed a couple of times earlier this year, when it was wet and chilly, he came home shivering from his morning walk because his coat was wet through to the skin.
I've been trying to work out what coat would be a good one, I don't want anything with long legs to it as he's active and its going to be hard enough to get him used to it anyway, I definitely don't want something which might look good on a small child, just a proper dog waterproof for a dog.
Can anybody suggest/recommend one?
Equafleece is a very good one, keeps them warm and dry. They do full coat with four legs or two. Check them out.

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
We have a Dog Face one for Dolly
79F59716-CCD7-4781-BBC8-D24FC6E6F6C7.jpeg

OP
OP
Mark and Mindy

Mark and Mindy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2017
Nr Bicester
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2019
Yes.
We have the blue ones for our four - and I’ve even got a matching ‘human’ one…….! ;)

I found that the Danish style dog cost gave a waterproof outer with a detachable warm liner .
Easy to fit and light.

Equafleece is a very good one, keeps them warm and dry. They do full coat with four legs or two. Check them out.
Just had a look at these, we need one which has a harness hole, if he's on a local walk then its a slip lead which comes off for him to have a good run, if we're somewhere we can't let them off - towns, too many other dogs/people etc then they wear a harness, the Danish style does have one with a harness hole so that looks like the best bet so far.

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Just had a look at these, we need one which has a harness hole, if he's on a local walk then its a slip lead which comes off for him to have a good run, if we're somewhere we can't let them off - towns, too many other dogs/people etc then they wear a harness, the Danish style does have one with a harness hole so that looks like the best bet so far.
The Regatta ones have a harness hole too - but we often put the harness over the top of the coat which keeps it firmly in place… (y)

OP
OP
Mark and Mindy

Mark and Mindy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2017
Nr Bicester
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2019
The Regatta ones have a harness hole too - but we often put the harness over the top of the coat which keeps it firmly in place… (y)
oh, in that case I'll have another look, thanks!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
For something a bit warmer (and cheaper too!) we’ve also bought these from eBay - but check the sizing as they tend to be on the small size - out 10kg JackShitz have the 3XL ones…..
B0CF09E3-750E-46E2-A3FF-9D1C1501B5AC.png

Aug 20, 2020
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Home Car P59
Exp
I'm a newbie
Don't be looking at the Barbour waxed ones , I picked one up in a garden centre £59.99

Apr 26, 2022
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Majestic 115
We have a Weatherbeeta for Reggie. He hates it and it does look as though they styled on a horse cover... Waterproof on top but rubbish underneath!

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Another big vote for equfleece. It does not fray so you can make a hole for harness, or use the harness on top. I bought the one with just front legs and then shortened the legs a little. I also have a waterproof coat type but because she is young and still likes to bound about on walks in the field, the equafleece is far more comfortable. I have a summer one too for wet mornings in the field as she can come back so wet.
First started using the company for a dog that was almost bald through alopecia.

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
We had an Equafleece for Gina, our last JRT, they are good and we went to the warehouse and they got the right size for her as she was very deep chested!
I’ve got some ripstop fabric and may make one for Pip!

AnnieB

Free Member
Jan 6, 2021
Grt Manchester
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Air
Exp
8+ years
Another vote for Equafleece. Bought the Tankie for Sorrel at least 4 years ago and it’s as good as new, keeps her tummy warm and dry as well as her back. its stretchy so easy to fit over her head but you can get them made with a back zip too.

missmollie

Free Member
Jul 30, 2008
Warrington
Funster No
MH
Knaus SUN TI
Exp
since 2006
Have tried numerous types for our dog but I have found the Hurtta range to be really good.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
In not a fan of the Equafleece coats as we found they tear and snag too easily. I've done a few repairs on Sky's coat (I put the hi-viz stripes on too, big safety improvement on winter walks)
Can't remember what make his "big coat" is, but it's waterproof and breathable, has a fleece lining and the little "hat" folds back on itself for when it stops raining ! He looks a bit poncy with the hood up, but he don't like getting wet ! I'll ask the missus later on if she can remember where she bought it from.
20220805_092309.jpg

IMG-20190305-WA0001.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back