Dog pancreatitis (1 Viewer)

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
Our old girl has this. She was very ill. Admitted by vet today and after 4hrs on IV drip she is a lot better. We thought she was a gonna.

Anyone had experience of dealing with this?

Justus3

Free Member
Jul 30, 2021
Funster No
MH
Vivaro conversion
Not dogs but humans it’s a very nasty and painful condition. So be more or less the same for her. Powerful antibiotics sort it out though her blood sugars will be carefully watched too.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
sorry to read of that. i hope you find a method of keeping her stable.
it is extremely painful and you'll need to watch the fats intake it often causes diabetes

Dec 14, 2020
Bingley, UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis 120
Exp
Pancreatitis in dogs can vary from something that passes in a few days to something that can be extremely debilitating and very long lasting - sometime lifelong. Pain relief is central. Generally not good. In an old dog, all options should be considered IMO.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 15, 2022
Funster No
MH
DethleffGlobetrotter
Exp
Started in 2005, then took a 15 year break, back in 2022
Have you ever used Bravecto flea treatment on your dog?
I hate to say it but I lost a dog to pancreatitis shorlty after my vet did the hard sell on me. I'm since much wiser.
Best of luck.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Our old girl has this. She was very ill. Admitted by vet today and after 4hrs on IV drip she is a lot better. We thought she was a gonna.

Anyone had experience of dealing with this?
A dear friend of ours had a cocker Spaniel with it and he used to feed it on pigs pancreas which was successful but he was a butcher by trade and had contacts that could supply them. I don’t know if it was cooked or not but I’m sure a vet would be able to advise👍

Sep 21, 2016
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
Frankia i740
Exp
since 2007
A dear friend of ours had a cocker Spaniel with it and he used to feed it on pigs pancreas which was successful but he was a butcher by trade and had contacts that could supply them. I don’t know if it was cooked or not but I’m sure a vet would be able to advise👍
A Vet has been on here to advise (y)

Gina

Cobra

Free Member
Oct 21, 2020
Durham
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail EKS
Exp
Since 2020
Our Labrador was extremely ill with this last year
He spent 3 nights at the vets with a drip then they thought it was ok so sent him home
Unfortunately after another couple of days he had to be returned to the vets for a further week with vomiting & diarrhoea
Luckily he pulled through
The only thing I would say is that he looked perfect after the first few days on a drip then went downhill after a further few days
Please keep an eye on her

Andy

Mar 28, 2019
DERBY
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo
Exp
since 2012
Luckily we haven’t experienced this but could have had a close call. I’d read that bird fat balls can be toxic to dogs and after my idiot dog thought she was being clever gulping one down whilst we were on a walk, despite my best attempts to stop her - I rang the vet immediately whilst still over the fields and he said the large sudden intake of fat can cause pancreatitis rather than it actually being toxic but equally she may have no effects from it all. Anyhowz I took her straight in for a jab so she brought it all back up. She didn’t look so smug vomiting in the vets as she had been downing the fat ball!!!

Dec 3, 2021
Surrey, UK
Funster No
MH
6m Campervan
Yes, our Charlie had a bad bout of it 3 years ago after a holiday in France where he ate a lot of cheese leftovers. He was very poorly but pulled through. Since then weve been limiting his fat intake. This is him after a drive out in the sunshine this morning. He's 10 now. Hope your dog recovers well
20220903_103821.jpg

Zoobec

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 11, 2020
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Boxer PVC
Exp
I don’t have any experience of this so I can’t advise but I am sending lots of vibes

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Our Welsh Sprollie suffers from recurring pancreatitis since about a year after we rescued him.

Seemed to be an annual occurrence around September \ October for about 10 years however he's been OK the last couple of years.

After the first time we know what symptoms we're looking for and get him around to his vet in good time. Sometimes we don't need to after we change his food for a day or two (see below).

Fortunately, he responds well to tablets \ injection with only once having to be kept in for 24 hours on a drip.

As others have said, be careful what you feed her and regularly check her weight. Your vet should be able to give you a steer on what this should be. His weight flexes around 19.4 - 21.1 kg.

We switched his food to Arden Grange Light (chicken and rice) however, when he has a bout of illness, we put him on freshly cooked chicken \ tinned tuna and rice and he responds well to this.

Hope all goes well and she gets back to her old self.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Have you ever used Bravecto flea treatment on your dog?
I hate to say it but I lost a dog to pancreatitis shorlty after my vet did the hard sell on me. I'm since much wiser.
Best of luck.
What’s the link between flea treatment and pancreatitis please?

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
What’s the link between flea treatment and pancreatitis please?
from what I remember Bravecto was highly recommended as a long term easy treatment however there were lots of reports of serious side effects and illness after folk started their dogs on it we did try it but took ours off it after the reports🤔

Apr 15, 2022
Funster No
MH
DethleffGlobetrotter
Exp
Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
This worried me as our dog has had his flea treatment and is now not well, he didn't have Bravacto, our other dog is on it but has no problems

Apr 15, 2022
Funster No
MH
DethleffGlobetrotter
Exp
I've recently started using my own mix of natural flea powder with Diatomaceous earth, neem powder and green clay. Seems to work well. You'll get a lot of mainstream vets warning you off and onto the pharmaceutical products, but those guys have a vested interest in selling you a drug/chemical solution.

Just think on it - No one makes money from a fit and healthy dog .... or person for that matter.

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2017
Almuñécar, Spain
Funster No
MH
Low Profile - Globebus T7
Two of ours have had it; both quite badly. Metoo was very ill, but got over it. She wouldn't eat or drink, so had to go on a drip for a while. Then a couple of years later Little Lizzie got it and was really ill. We had to give her meds dissolved in water and hold her mouth open to shoot them down her throat with a syringe - she just would not touch a thing. We thought she was a goner and had agreed that if she didn't improve over one night we'd make the big decision, as she was staring to get in a bit of a state and her quality of life was really bad. She must have overheard us, as that morning she ate a small bit of fish and turned the corner! Within a week she was pretty well back to normal, her coat looked better and she was up and about, albeit 1.5kg lighter (she was 10.5 before).

Dec 14, 2020
Bingley, UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis 120
Exp
Bravecto has no known recognised connection with pancreatitis. I've used it on my dogs for years, and my old practice treated many thousands of dogs over the years. Never had pancreatitis connected with its use.
However there is always the ability to connect a random illness with a regularly used drug. Bravecto is a 3 monthly treatment. So for a dog on bravecto, every illness it has has the chance of one in three to be within a month of being given bravecto, and one in twelve of occurring within a week of being given bravecto. Nothing to do with bravecto, everything to do with probability.

OP
OP
gpat
Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
Well she is still crying all the time but she just ate some boiled chicken breast and seemed keen. She is a bit confused and restless but I guess having an appetite again is a small step forward.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
If she is crying all the time then to state the obvious she is in some discomfort or pain.
I am no vet but sounds to me as if she should have been prescribed some pain management to aid her recovery.

Sep 21, 2016
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
Frankia i740
Exp
since 2007
Luckily we haven’t experienced this but could have had a close call. I’d read that bird fat balls can be toxic to dogs and after my idiot dog thought she was being clever gulping one down whilst we were on a walk, despite my best attempts to stop her - I rang the vet immediately whilst still over the fields and he said the large sudden intake of fat can cause pancreatitis rather than it actually being toxic but equally she may have no effects from it all. Anyhowz I took her straight in for a jab so she brought it all back up. She didn’t look so smug vomiting in the vets as she had been downing the fat ball!!!
My Stanley was always grabbing bird fat balls as they would fall to the ground sometimes after they became small and fell through the hanging feeders. He must have been one of the lucky ones as they did no harm.

Gina.

OP
OP
gpat
Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
I'm pleased to say she is fit and well again. We are a lot poorer now after the vet bill so that concorde will have to wait another year.
She is not happy about her new low fat diet but at least she is alive.
Thank you for all the hugs and good wishes.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back