Free Member
Oct 8, 2009
Lee-on-Solent
Funster No
MH
Swift Rio 340
Exp
Since November 2009
After many years of wanting a dog, we have decided that now is the right time to get one. We spend quite a few months a year travelling in the van and appreciate that such a lifestyle will take some getting used to for both us and the dog.

So now the research begins. We are thinking a medium size, short haired one would be best for us, and will probably get it as a puppy.

Any advice would be much appreciated as we start our search.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
We are hoping for a border terrier!!
61AEBF80-EA54-413E-AC9B-5E4A2A7106A1.jpeg

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
4BC08469-27DD-42AC-BC0C-B8E65008D439.jpeg
CE7C1F92-FD65-49F5-AB1C-24A441394D61.jpeg
858371AC-986D-4D64-8211-238D4EC4FDAB.jpeg
How about these Cockapoos. Girl, boy, girl. Pm me if interested.

Feb 26, 2013
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Autocruise stargazer
Exp
since 2013
We "adopted" our two as 6 month old totally untrained pups and were off in the van with them within 5 months with no major mishaps. We also took our previous very elderly 16 year old collie cross to Spain on our first Moho trip abroad and she loved it. So I suspect most dogs will be okay with the van if you introduce them to it slowly and carefully. So just look around and see what pups are available that appeal to you personally. I agree with the comment re moulting but a brush and hand vacuum cleaner solve most problems..... good luck . Xx

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
Our two adore travelling in the van. Always eager to help me pack.....and two will become four as soon as the puppies are old enough! By the way....the puppies are F2 Cockapoos and will look similar to my avatar. The pups Mum is the chocolate cockapoo.

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
Our two adore travelling in the van. Always eager to help me pack.....and two will become four as soon as the puppies are old enough! By the way....the puppies are F2 Cockapoos and will look similar to my avatar. The pups Mum is the chocolate cockapoo.
Remember these are cross breeds and can be vicious , you can see that just by looking at them......

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
No no no.......stop it, I want one! I would love a cockerpoo. At the minute we look after daughter’s nervous dog so could not have one,:(

It’s such a joy watching these little ones grow and develop. They play now, explore and wrestle with each other. The little boy in the photos thinks he’s a baby elephant and mock charges slippers, chairs, kitchen roll, settees. He’s so brave.

The white and chocolate girl is very confident and is the first to explore new situations. She wasn’t phased by meeting Max, just went up to him and clouted him with her paw.....of course she missed, but the intent was clear!

And the little chocolate girl is the quiet one. A little shy, but loves a cuddle and enjoys following the others once she’s sure it’s safe. She’s got a chocolate thick glossy coat, with ripples in it and a haze of red.

Can you tell I love them all? All seven!

They make us laugh a lot. Hard work, but so enjoyable. My girl did us proud.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
It’s such a joy watching these little ones grow and develop. They play now, explore and wrestle with each other. The little boy in the photos thinks he’s a baby elephant and mock charges slippers, chairs, kitchen roll, settees. He’s so brave.

The white and chocolate girl is very confident and is the first to explore new situations. She wasn’t phased by meeting Max, just went up to him and clouted him with her paw.....of course she missed, but the intent was clear!

And the little chocolate girl is the quiet one. A little shy, but loves a cuddle and enjoys following the others once she’s sure it’s safe. She’s got a chocolate thick glossy coat, with ripples in it and a haze of red.

Can you tell I love them all? All seven!

They make us laugh a lot. Hard work, but so enjoyable. My girl did us proud.

That doesn’t help!

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020
Our hound loves being in the MH.

It is hard to suggest what to choose as we all have different tastes and most people (me included) tend to recommend the breed of dog they have.

The one thing I would say, is that there are an awful lot of lovely dogs needing new homes and are currently in rescue centres. I appreciate you have mentioned “probably” a puppy, but having rescued 2 dogs from rehoming centres personally that’s the route I would always go down now..

It is truly rewarding seeing the change in the dog from (in our experience) timid, frightened creatures into loving members of the family.

Good luck to you, whichever route you go down.

For the record, we are rescue (retired racing) greyhound fans..

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
After many years of wanting a dog, we have decided that now is the right time to get one. We spend quite a few months a year travelling in the van and appreciate that such a lifestyle will take some getting used to for both us and the dog.

So now the research begins. We are thinking a medium size, short haired one would be best for us, and will probably get it as a puppy.

Any advice would be much appreciated as we start our search.

A note of caution. As you haven't had a dog before you need to b aware of a number of things, especially when intending to tour.
First off, you will find your lives totally disrupted. Almost everything you do will be centred on how it affects the dog, it has to be fed, walked, kept clean, medicated, inoculated, Pet Passport, insured. Where is it going to be secured when travelling? It will affect where you park up, do you leave it in the van or take it with you on excursions. It will want constant attention - you cannot just forget about it at all, ever. We've gone through all of this.

But, with proper care and attention, NOTHING can replace the love and affection it will return to you. It will also make you new friends.

We'd never give up our little monster for the world!

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Our hound loves being in the MH.

It is hard to suggest what to choose as we all have different tastes and most people (me included) tend to recommend the breed of dog they have.

The one thing I would say, is that there are an awful lot of lovely dogs needing new homes and are currently in rescue centres. I appreciate you have mentioned “probably” a puppy, but having rescued 2 dogs from rehoming centres personally that’s the route I would always go down now..

It is truly rewarding seeing the change in the dog from (in our experience) timid, frightened creatures into loving members of the family.

Good luck to you, whichever route you go down.

For the record, we are rescue (retired racing) greyhound fans..
dont think all rescue dogs are damaged, you are usually recycling much loved pets, given up for any number of reasons not their fault

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Exhibitionist dogs are fun.
View attachment 222416

Just avoid anything with a very short nose, you don't want to encourage the fashion for them. :)
Short haired exhibitionist. Doesn't like rain or puddles. Compact size. Perfect:

P1030101.JPG

Feb 16, 2017
Southampton
Funster No
MH
AT tracker 2002
Exp
On n off fer years
We've got two JRT cross mutts Minnie looks like a mini border collie Bobby looks like a Labrador pup but is fully grown both rescue dogs .our other dog that we sadly had to have PTS at 13 years she was in a paper shop window as free to a good home when she was about 3 months old .all our dogs have traveled thousands of miles in cars and vans with no problems

Kim H

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 24, 2011
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
Since 2011
We have two rescues who love travelling with us,a Labrador and a Labradoodle, because after all it's no different from being at home. But.....and its a big but, we accept that due to our age, these will be our last canine travelling companions.

Dan and Jan

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 16, 2017
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Between Vans
Exp
On and off since 2000
28165BE3-4D57-420D-BD64-B62A2BDB225E.jpeg My 2 Springers love to travel, it’s just a case of being organised. Mind you they love the water so plenty of towels. :Grin:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
We have two, JRT and a Cairn Terrier..

they both love travelling.. but dogs are like kids, then need looked after 24 / 7 , it's a big commitment..

there are plenty of positives, they are excellent alarm dogs, any noise or hear anyone close they are barking ..

they get you out and about and go walking when you may not otherwise be bothered.. they are great company

but also negatives.,

Many beaches have No Dogs allowed , likewise shopping centres and other tourist attractions.
They charge for dogs on many sites... it's not a lot, but adds up when it's every day.
Pet Passport and jabs add to the cost of a trip across the channel ..
Ferry and tunnel charge for each trip.. £15 on ferry £18 on tunnel. so for us that comes to £72 on the tunnel + worming before coming home.. another €80 for two

If you go ahead.. my advice buy a small dog that doesn't moult or is low moulting

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2012
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
For us we have had Laika the wonder dog since she was 8 weeks old. Within 2 days we were off in the van with her. 3 .5 years later we are all still loving are life together. . Laika is a Jack Russell cross (jackapoo) , a good house dog and feisty at times. We wanted a smallish dog so things would be easy when she was wet and muddy while out in the van shes perfect . Whatever you get I wish you happiness and lots of licks.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back