Do lathe spindle registers matter? (1 Viewer)

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Bit of a story, I have had an old Acorntools lathe for years (Myford size) and the 3 jaw chuck is getting very worn so I have bought a new one, so I need a backplate for it, in the past I have made my own for the face plate and 4 jaw that I have acquired over the years but I recently realised that Boxford lathes have the same screw thread 11/2 x 8 tpi so I bought a Boxford backplate so now all I have to do is machine the spindle circumference register rather than machine the thread as well.
I intended to machine out the rear spigot and fit an insert which I can then machine to fit the register on my lathe, now when I asked on a UK engineering forum if Loctite was ok to glue the insert in rather than trying to shrink fit it, I got told by a few posters that its only the rear face register that matters and the register around the spindle isn't needed, the threads centralise it as you screw the backplate on according to them.
I am the new guy on the forum so I am not going to start arguing to much but I am definitely in the two register camp, and no matter what will be fitting an insert but wondered has anyone else got an opinion?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back