Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
I’m going to be providing IT support for a charity.
Typically helping the charity’s customers setup their devices with apps, etc.

For practice and repro I’ve a Windows 10 computer, iPad, iPhone and a fairly recent Kindle Fire tablet.

Do I need to look for a recent 2nd hand mid spec android tablet or is the Kindle a pretty similar user OS/experience?
If yes, any Android tablet candidates?

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
The Kindle Fire is Android but heavily slanted towards Amazon. I don't think it is a good example of a typical Android device.

The problem you are likely to experience is there are many versions of Android, the latest version is 13 I think but many older tablets will have much earlier versions and different manufacturers add their own twists. The menus will be very different between these models so you wont be able to give a stock answer on how to do something.

It will be much easier if you can physically get your hands on their device, much harder describing what to do on the phone.

If you want to get another tablet one of the cheaper Samsung models at around £120± on Amazon might be useful.

Best of luck! :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
kevenh

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Thanks for the detailed answer yy
I did fear/expect that Amazon had hidden the Android OS under the Kindle Fire covers but hadn't realised Android could have a couple of menu types, etc.

I'll slow down & wait to see what devices the users need support with.
Early troubleshooting is remote, with site visits possible for the trickier issues. 🤔 :worried:

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
Unfortunately even Windows 11 whilst similar is different to Windows 10 and older Windows i which some needing support may have.

Then there are so many versions of Android each then overlaid by manufacturers.

Support remotely when you can't see the screen and rely on a confused end user describing what they don't understand is a thankless task. Best option will be to use a remote desktop support system such as Teamviewer but don't know if that or others work for Android.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Teamviewer works for remote fixes on our Dell Win10 Laptop, when all else fails this end, I get someone more knowledgeable to take over the helm.
Last time it was a Win Update, it screwed up our laser printer from being networked, they fixed it with the next Win Update, but I was nearly at the point of buying a new printer.:swear::mad:
Good luck.
LES

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
I’m going to be providing IT support for a charity.
Typically helping the charity’s customers setup their devices with apps, etc.

For practice and repro I’ve a Windows 10 computer, iPad, iPhone and a fairly recent Kindle Fire tablet.

Do I need to look for a recent 2nd hand mid spec android tablet or is the Kindle a pretty similar user OS/experience?
If yes, any Android tablet candidates?
You could try CEX if your looking for a 2nd hand tablet, there are similar in the high street and often you can take them back if there is a fault or re-sell against a later model if you need one.

Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
As previously said there are may flavours of Android and the old telephone assistance method of using the same software and saying what can you see doesn't work , what does work is Any Desk.
It is remote desking for android, the initial problem can be getting it installed by the "customer".

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back