Do I buy a new phone or get a contract ? (1 Viewer)

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Daughter has the 12 pro max but has got RSI from excessively extending her texting thumb. I don’t get that way of using one handed, I can only hold in one hand and tap with my index finger of the other hand , or use the speech to text.
You can reduce the screen size on the Samsung phones for use with one hand. Just touch the home button twice quickly 😏
Screenshot_20231123_150515_Opera.jpg

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
No, if we just get a sim it will cost £144 for 2 years but if we take out the phone on contract with a good data package, it will only be £100 for the term over the price of buying the phone.
phone cost , £1099
Contract cost, £1199
Sim only cost, £144
So will save £44 over the 2 year contract.
In saying that ,he did say there would be a mid term increase.
Not that I think I will need more data but if I was going to get the sim only deal it's for 175gb against our current 150gb, we have been paying £8 a month for 150gb and the new 2 year offer is £6 for 175gb.
When I last looked at phones i phones and Samsung's were cheaper on contracts I suspect because they are so grossly overpriced in relation to other makes of phone that they can offer the people selling contracts a sizeable discount.
If you're really thinking of saving money there's a huge savings possible by going for a cheaper phone that will probably do all the things you want but not have a apple logo on it.

Sue and Rick

Free Member
Apr 20, 2022
Brighouse, UK
Funster No
MH
Autoquest 155 2016
Exp
Since 2020
No, if we just get a sim it will cost £144 for 2 years but if we take out the phone on contract with a good data package, it will only be £100 for the term over the price of buying the phone.
phone cost , £1099
Contract cost, £1199
Sim only cost, £144
So will save £44 over the 2 year contract.
In saying that ,he did say there would be a mid term increase.
Not that I think I will need more data but if I was going to get the sim only deal it's for 175gb against our current 150gb, we have been paying £8 a month for 150gb and the new 2 year offer is £6 for 175gb.
Does that include phone insurance in case of loss or damage. A phone like that surely would need this. A loss still leaves you having to pay the contract with no phone

Jul 27, 2013
Wilts/Oxon border
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since childhood!
Apple refurbished products are really indistinguishable from new ones. The MacBook Pro I ma using now ia as new but was £400 cheaper wit the usual 12 months warranty. Whats not to like.
My MBP was also bought direct from Apple UK as a refurbished item and has served me well. When I replace it I expect to go the same route again.

In terms of phones, since I've been self-employed I buy the phone outright, and run a SIM only contract. My current phone is an iPhone 11pro (bought because it syncs so well with almost everything I do on my MBP). I bought it in Aug21 when the iPhone 12 had been out for several months, from a company disposing of overstocks of the older model. I saved about £300 on it at the time. I'll probably keep it for another year or two before upgrading. I had my last phone for at least five years and by total chance had just got the new one when the old one died.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
bigtree
Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
When I last looked at phones i phones and Samsung's were cheaper on contracts I suspect because they are so grossly overpriced in relation to other makes of phone that they can offer the people selling contracts a sizeable discount.
If you're really thinking of saving money there's a huge savings possible by going for a cheaper phone that will probably do all the things you want but not have a apple logo on it.
It's difficult to transfer over to android from apple, plus you lose free calls on messenger. Besides that, we prefer Apple iPhones as we've been using them for years. Really not interested in changing.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
It's difficult to transfer over to android from apple, plus you lose free calls on messenger. Besides that, we prefer Apple iPhones as we've been using them for years. Really not interested in changing.
We all spend money on things that aren't necessarily the cheapest. Although the free calls on messenger don't really make any difference now that most provider's include unlimited free calls anyway!

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
I've heard other people say this. Glad they never got their hook into me 😇😎, although their efforts to make it difficult or awkward to change would make me all the more determined to do it.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
We all spend money on things that aren't necessarily the cheapest. Although the free calls on messenger don't really make any difference now that most provider's include unlimited free calls anyway!
I always ring mum on messenger as the phone signal isn't perfect. My phone is a samsung 👌

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
We always buy our phones independently, currently using a stonking Xiaomi Redmi 10 pro which only cost just over £100. Had a couple of their previous offerings and can't fault them.

I'm a big fan of Xiaomi too. My Poco X3 cost less than £200 and is great. Been using them since we live in Hong Kong in 2017

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
I'm lucky, my daughter always buys the latest iPhone through her business, and i get her cast offs free of charge:LOL: Mine then goes to my wife, and hers to the grand-kids. Mind you, I'm used to being spoilt, although my first hand portable (,not a brick,) cost over £1200, Vodafone or Racal as was used to give me a new phone every 6 months. My kids were the envy of all their friends having Motorola flip phones from an early age.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
My girlfriend has got 2 Chinese phones, one is branded "Oppo" and can't remember the other, but neither will work with the Android Auto screen I got for her bike 😭 economising a step too far. Might be something to do with Google maps? 🤔

Just remembered the other one "Huawei".. Probably spelt wrong but you know the one 😜

OP
OP
bigtree
Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
Thanks for all the opinions but we really are happy to stick with our iPhones, I'm now thinking on just getting a new sim deal but it seems we can't keep our number and get a new deal with IDmobile. :rolleyes:

OP
OP
bigtree
Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
About IDmobile , I have been offered unlimited data for £8 direct. This way I can keep my number instead of having to move to another provider as I can't get a new deal via mobiles.co.uk with them and keep my number. When we were away the last 2 months I didn't have a restriction on data usage but I seem to remember that if you have unlimited data you do get restricted, does anyyone know if this is correct ?
I used 75gb of my 150gb allowance last month abroad.

May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
I thought it was written in the Ofcom rules that you MUST be able to take your phone number with you and they must do it within 24 hours. We did that by just giving the new provider our package vide which we got from the old one who then cancelled that account once it had been ported over.

Jul 20, 2018
Bridport Dorset
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 655
Exp
Trailer tent for 10 years Motorhome since 2018
I’ve bought my last 2 iPhones on eBay, One I’m still using the other lasted about 4 years. Sim only from Labara (Vodafone network) both phones around £100 - £130 .

OP
OP
bigtree
Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
I thought it was written in the Ofcom rules that you MUST be able to take your phone number with you and they must do it within 24 hours. We did that by just giving the new provider our package vide which we got from the old one who then cancelled that account once it had been ported over.
I’m currently with id and want to stay with them, the deals via mobiles.co.uk are better than dealing directly with id but I can’t get the better deal because I’m currently with them. I bet that confuses you, it does me too.

OP
OP
bigtree
Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
Quick update,
I managed to get a deal with IDMobile,
1 year contract with unlimited data , £8 a month.
same price as last year but don't need to do the cashback faff as I dealt with them direct.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back