DIY semi air suspension - can compressor be used to inflate tyres aswell (1 Viewer)

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Because ive got time to spare today, im trying to do some research on self fitting semi air suspension. i am comfortable with the DiY approach as i consider myself 'reasonably' practical. i was wondering if the compressor (assuming i go for one with a compressor) can also be used, with some sort of take off, to inflate the vehicle tyres - though of course it would require some sort of air line. i am thinking more of when starting a journey from home, so the airline doesnt need to be carried when travelling. Our MH doesnt have electric handbrake/anti roll bar and is on a fiat ducato non alko chassis ...

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
It depends on what air compressor you fit and its duty cycle . but otherwise should be easy enough .
Might be worth fitting a reservoir to speed things up .

Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022
I fitted Dunlop rear air to our Adria with a twin gauge and valve panel in the rear garage/storage. Didn’t bother with an onboard compressor at the time as I wasn’t too sure how useful it would be. As it turns out I only had to adjust the pressure once in an 8 week trip to Greece and Crete, and didn’t have to touch it at all during the last 6 weeks around Spain and Portugal.

IMG_0566.jpeg

I have a Milwaukee M12 Sub Compact battery compressor that stows nicely under it that is rated for the moho tyres (120psi max) and use it for the rear air, wife’s car, our quad bikes, motorcycles and bicycles amongst other things. So from my perspective it’s a bit more useful than an outlet attached to the van.

IMG_1273.jpeg

Jul 4, 2018
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg
Exp
A few years.
As part of the ebay kit there was a compressor supplied. I think a bit over the top for job. I use my cordless pump, I say use once set on which pressure not needed it again, so far! Happy to show you at your meet.

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
I fitted rear airbags and gauges to my van. One can fit whatever compressor one wants, or not, as the case maybe.
I decided not but carry a Ring 900 with long reach hose, just incase?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 2, 2022
Hartland, Bideford, Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Ixeo 1744
Exp
I’m newbie
Because ive got time to spare today, im trying to do some research on self fitting semi air suspension. i am comfortable with the DiY approach as i consider myself 'reasonably' practical. i was wondering if the compressor (assuming i go for one with a compressor) can also be used, with some sort of take off, to inflate the vehicle tyres - though of course it would require some sort of air line. i am thinking more of when starting a journey from home, so the airline doesnt need to be carried when travelling. Our MH doesnt have electric handbrake/anti roll bar and is on a fiat ducato non alko chassis ...
I’ve recently fitted semi rear air bags , and I had same idea as you,
so I installed my air compressor that came with kit just in side footwell driver side on my burstner
so have easy access and its out of sight under removable footwell floor .
Just need to get connections to make straight swap to use on tyres & Plus extra air line .

OP
OP
M

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
I’ve recently fitted semi rear air bags , and I had same idea as you,
so I installed my air compressor that came with kit just in side footwell driver side on my burstner
so have easy access and its out of sight under removable footwell floor .
Just need to get connections to make straight swap to use on tyres & Plus extra air line .
i do have a ring compressor, so i may actually work out a configuration that allows me incorporate that, i also like the comment made by Orion with regards to being able to inflate the bike tyres aswell, which makes me even keener to investigate the potential to add an additional outlet(s?) if possible.
has anybody actually done this please and whether you think the extra time spent was worthwhile? i have plenty of time so spending some of it on a mini project isnt an issue

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back