DFDS Newhaven - Dieppe - Catering. (1 Viewer)

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Unable to find anywhere decent to dine, during our short visit into Newhaven, can we enquire with "those in the know", what is the food like in the restaurant, onboard the ferry please?

Thanks in advance.

Jock & Rita. :)

Jan 23, 2016
Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 660SP
Exp
25 years
Was it this crossing that had a Danish Smorgasbord inclided in the price?

I have fond memories of gorging on Smoked Salmon.

Reactions: Les
Feb 21, 2022
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Cotswold
Food can be little better than warm if you go at a busy time and have to queue to pay. However, there is a microwave after the till that you can use to give it a blast.

OP
OP
JockandRita

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Maybe decades ago TOM, but it's certainly not included on our ticket price. :LOL:

Food is average at best .
Forewarned is forearmed. ;)

Thanks Sue & John. (y)

Jock & Rita. :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Last time we used, we took our own food, sandwiches etc .. and ate in the lounge.

Never found any ferry food worth buying ..

Some years ago they had a serve yourself coke machine, you bought a glass and drank as much as you wanted,, our two lads had a field day... on return leg they had stopped offering that... I wonder why .. lol

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2016
Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 660SP
Exp
25 years
Maybe decades ago TOM, but it's certainly not included on our ticket price.

Yes it would be decades ago!

I still can visualise the antipodean back packers filling their rucksacks to provision a week or two!

Reactions: Les
OP
OP
JockandRita

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Food can be little better than warm if you go at a busy time and have to queue to pay. However, there is a microwave after the till that you can use to give it a blast.
I always ask them to knock the VAT off. No VAT on cold food.
Thanks both. 👍

Rita is preparing sandwiches and snacks as I type. :Eeek:

Cheers,

Jock. ;)

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022

I have fond memories of gorging on Smoked Salmon.

That would be the now sadly defunct DFDS Harwich to Esbjerg crossing. Best seafood buffet ever served on the high seas!

Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022
Did it on Calias / Dover as well . That was in the days when ferry food was a treat 😋

I did sample that one as well, but the range of available dishes and the quality on the North Sea crossing I found to be better. Maybe because of it being on the run to the ‘homeland’ and likely more Danes on board?

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
I quite often wondered how many crossings the food had made, before offering it to us...quite often viewed and refused...the best ferry meal we ever had was when Bike Touring in the Hebrides...Liver and Onions with mash...it was the last crossing of the day, offered at half price... didn't matter how many crossings it had made...it was the best meal of a three week trip, you cannot produce such delights on a single burner primus...🤔😃

OP
OP
JockandRita

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
The sandwiches Anita made and our flask of coffee were lovely on our crossing returning to the UK yesterday. 👍
Was that you both in the only Hymer we saw leaving the port after disembarkation, at about 19.00 - 19.30hrs Graham?
A lovely big Frankia came off that sailing too. ;)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Oct 9, 2017
Wisbech
Funster No
MH
2007 Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2005
I think it was on the Newhaven - Dieppe crossing that some people highly recommended the pasties but I wasn’t impressed. First and likely last food item that I shall buy on a ferry. We always take our own food and drink - and I’m not even Scottish.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We only had coffee and toast but the couple next to us had the breakfast for £10.95 it looked good and they ate all of it, most people seemed to get food as soon as they got on the ship .
The breakfasts vary quite a bit, normally quite edible.
The ones rushing for the food are probably the car drivers who have had a long drive.

OP
OP
JockandRita

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Just sat in the boarding lanes, and got chatting to another Funster by the name of BlueMoon. Having used this crossing before, he too confirmed the quality of the grub, ie, sh1te. :rofl:

dalspa. What on earth has being Scots, got to do with buying sh1te grub on the Ferry, (or not, as appears to be the case judging by most replies)? :doh:

Cheers,

Jock. ;)

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
Just sat in the boarding lanes, and got chatting to another Funster by the name of BlueMoon. Having used this crossing before, he too confirmed the quality of the grub, ie, sh1te. :rofl:

dalspa. What on earth has being Scots, got to do with buying sh1te grub on the Ferry, (or not, as appears to be the case judging by most replies)? :doh:

Cheers,

Jock. ;)
Only thing worse than eating shite food is seeing it again a few hours later🤢🤢😂😂

Hope you both have a good trip away👍👍

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back