Data sims for using in Europe! (1 Viewer)

cycletothesea

Free Member
May 3, 2024
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato - Pilote
Hi folks, going round in circles trying to find a definitive answer here.
I want to get a separate wifi router/hub to use when on holiday in Europe, that's the easy bit.
But more impossible is finding a data only sim that I can buy here, and then use in the router when abroad. Seen so many proviso's saying that data can only be used in the UK, especially the one from EE I was going to get.
I don't want to be tied to any contract with any network, just have a plug-and-play wifi option which is pre-paid. Is that a thing?

Jul 24, 2023
Funster No
MH
RPMOTORHOMES Rebel
Exp
New to van life
Get a router that supports eSIMs and use Airhub unlimited data for 1 month all of Europe for $32 no contract no need to mess with plastic SIM cards.

Or Connectpls bit more expensive and not sure if it is actually unlimited because when you get to 200 or 400 Gbytes in a month they ask you to phone them to get more. But I have never been able to use that much! They do plastic SIM and eSIM options.

I have just tried both around north Europe and Norway they work very well.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

cycletothesea

Free Member
May 3, 2024
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato - Pilote
Hi and welcome,

You don’t need a data only sim all phone sims will work in a dongle / WiFi hub.
Best option though appears to be a local bought sim.
That's what I thought, just presumed you'd be able to buy one in the UK from people like EE etc.

Upvote 0
Feb 23, 2021
BURY ST. EDMUNDS
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670 SLT
Exp
Since 2002
We have a Popit sim 100Gb for £25 per month, must use first in the UK when home you suspend it for £1 per month. Can use all the 100Gb in EU. Works for us.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Nov 14, 2018
Europe
Funster No
MH
A grey one
Exp
since 1996
I've got iD Mobile which has unlimited data for UK and 30GB roaming. £15. Depends on how much data you want. We tether to phones and it works out about 1GB per hour.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Hi and welcome,

You don’t need a data only sim all phone sims will work in a dongle / WiFi hub.
Best option though appears to be a local bought sim.
They will work but in the last year networks have been restricting speeds, on our last trip it was often difficult to stream but same sim in the phone was fine. It was the same with two different network sims.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I've got iD Mobile which has unlimited data for UK and 30GB roaming. £15. Depends on how much data you want. We tether to phones and it works out about 1GB per hour.
You need to change your contract, I only pay that for 100GB including a brand new £300 phone, I was going to buy the phone then came across the deal.

Via Carphone Warehouse (ID is a CPW company) 50GB £8/month.
But if staying on the same network you can't get a pack code they will only give you an upgrade, for the deal I wanted the upgrade was £21/month.
So I got a free Asda PAYG sim, transfered my number to that & then to the new ID SIM didn't cost anything.

Upvote 0
Nov 14, 2018
Europe
Funster No
MH
A grey one
Exp
since 1996
You need to change your contract, I only pay that for 100GB including a brand new £300 phone, I was going to buy the phone then came across the deal.

Via Carphone Warehouse (ID is a CPW company) 50GB £8/month.
But if staying on the same network you can't get a pack code they will only give you an upgrade, for the deal I wanted the upgrade was £21/month.
So I got a free Asda PAYG sim, transfered my number to that & then to the new ID SIM didn't cost anything.
It’s not a contract really, monthly rolling. Also got my own new iPhone. My wife has pretty much the same as you with new iPhone. My UK data is unlimited, 30gb roaming.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
It’s not a contract really, monthly rolling. Also got my own new iPhone. My wife has pretty much the same as you with new iPhone. My UK data is unlimited, 30gb roaming.
Sorry misread your post didn't notice the unlimited.

Upvote 0
May 29, 2020
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Westfalia Columbus
Exp
Since March 2024
IQ Go allows three months roaming in the EU. What's the best solution for travellers passing through non-EU countries like Switzerland?

Upvote 0
May 29, 2020
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Westfalia Columbus
Exp
Since March 2024
It's IQ Go Go Go! Just fired them an email after my question here. Got a reply from Frazer @ IQ Go five minutes later (on a Friday night at 10.30pm!).
Switzerland is still covered even though it is not in the EU.
These are the 27 countries covered in the "roam like home" offering.
Aland Islands, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Canary Islands, Ceuta, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Faroe Islands, Finland, France, French Guiana, Germany, Gibraltar, Greece, Guadeloupe, Guernsey, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Isle of Man, Italy, Jersey, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Martinique, Mayotte, Mellila, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Réunion, Romania, Saint Barthélemy, Saint Martin, San Marino, Sint Maarten, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom and Vatican City.

Upvote 0
Nov 14, 2018
Europe
Funster No
MH
A grey one
Exp
since 1996
IQ Go allows three months roaming in the EU. What's the best solution for travellers passing through non-EU countries like Switzerland?
Some companies include it in roaming packages, some don’t. We got caught out last year passing through. Sent a couple of pics to some mates, ended up costing about £10!! That was with Giff Gaff.
I think best to just read the small print .

Upvote 0
Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
Here we go again… 🤦‍♂️

Mobile phone data plans are different to mobile data plans. The service you get when roaming with mobile phone data plans, in a router, WILL be very different, constrained, reduced compared to using that plan with your mobile.

If you want mobile data for a router when roaming, get a mobile data SIM like Tiekom.

Upvote 0

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
ID mobile don’t deserve to have customers, their customer service is shameful.
I find the youngsters in store (Currys) are brilliant and have access to the very old computer system (pre windows and touch screens) and can sort everything out. Catch them on a quiet day.

Upvote 0
Oct 18, 2022
South West
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 1992
I find the youngsters in store (Currys) are brilliant and have access to the very old computer system (pre windows and touch screens) and can sort everything out. Catch them on a quiet day.

You’re lucky, we’ve had two disputes with them now, in both cases ID have referred us to a debt recovery company. We owe them nothing, in fact they owe us but I can’t be arsed to pursue it or undertake a 28 mile round trip to Currys. The reason that matters have escalated in both cases is because they are impossible to contact. On the rare occasions that we have got through to a human they’ve been hopeless. By comparison IQ are a breath of fresh air.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
You’re lucky, we’ve had two disputes with them now, in both cases ID have referred us to a debt recovery company. We owe them nothing, in fact they owe us but I can’t be arsed to pursue it. The reason that matters have escalated in both cases is because they are impossible to contact. On the rare occasions that we have got through to a human they’ve been hopeless.
Must admit contacted IQ Mobile a few times and they always responded often out of hours. Only downside I can see is to find out data usage you have to go to the website to get it rather than in near real time in an app like EE.

Upvote 0
Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
iD mobile have generous data allowances because with the download speed it's impossible to use, they might as well call all their plans "Unlimited". And that's in the UK so God knows what it will be like in Europe.

Upvote 0
Jan 7, 2023
Bath, UK
Funster No
MH
Fleurette Wincester
Exp
Since Jan 2023
Hi folks, going round in circles trying to find a definitive answer here.
I want to get a separate wifi router/hub to use when on holiday in Europe, that's the easy bit.
But more impossible is finding a data only sim that I can buy here, and then use in the router when abroad. Seen so many proviso's saying that data can only be used in the UK, especially the one from EE I was going to get.
I don't want to be tied to any contract with any network, just have a plug-and-play wifi option which is pre-paid. Is that a thing?

IQ GO data only physical SIM (https://helloiq.co.uk/collections/iq-go) is marketed for roaming and giving you a full 100G whilst in Europe.

Airhub app (https://www.airhubapp.com/esim/Europe) market their unlimited European data roaming eSIM.

I'm trying both starting tomorrow, IQ in my MiFi and the eSIM in my dual SIM phone. Might not be a direct comparison as the IQ will have an external aerial (if that even makes a difference) and one will be on a phone using it as a hotspot.

IQ doesn't appear to apply credit immediately, in my experience its done first thing in the morning, so I'd advise buying credit the day before you need it. I may just have been unfortunate there.

IQ also have a whatsapp contact number on their website. They are pretty good at responding and answering questions. I also messaged Airhubapp and got this response to my questions via email :

I hope this email finds you well. We sincerely apologize for missing your chat earlier. We experienced a higher volume of inquiries than usual, and unfortunately, we were unable to attend to your request in a timely manner. It truley unlimited and you can use as hotspot!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back