Apr 30, 2017
Blisland Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 752
Exp
Owners since 2017
Hi
I am looking for a data sim card to use in France, Germany, Switzerland and Italy. I currently have a Lebara Sim that would not work in a mifi router and after some calls to Lebara, we managed to get it to work in our tablet. Reception was however very poor and could not really use it.
Can anyone recommend a good data sim for the above countries? Preferably we would like a pay as you go rather than a contract as it will only be used when we are away.

Many thanks
Bob

Jun 6, 2012
Leeds
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
IQ Mobile, you pay for the SIM and then top up as you go along

It’s called IQ Go so the SIM is £20 and then £20 for 100GB £15 for 30GB and £10 for 10GB and the data is valid for 30 days and you just top up as you go, no throttling and you can use all of the data 👍

Jan 13, 2022
Scotland, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
New to Motorhome, experienced caravanner 😊
Another vote for Popit, we’ve been using it without issue in France for the past two months.

You do have to use in UK prior to trip to comply with roaming conditions.

OP
OP
Bertie Bus
Apr 30, 2017
Blisland Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 752
Exp
Owners since 2017
Thanks guys. I have heard of Popit but not IQ Go. I will have a look at them both.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Bertie Bus
Apr 30, 2017
Blisland Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 752
Exp
Owners since 2017
Another vote for Popit, we’ve been using it without issue in France for the past two months.

You do have to use in UK prior to trip to comply with roaming conditions.
Hi I have just looked at Popit but I couldn't see if they have a fair usage clause. Is this the case?

Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
Hi I have just looked at Popit but I couldn't see if they have a fair usage clause. Is this the case?
they don't once you have registered the sim here in the UK you can use your full amount of data each month in the EU
I used ours in Spain , France , Belguim and Germany on a recent trip and used up 87gb of my monthly allowance watching tv

OP
OP
Bertie Bus
Apr 30, 2017
Blisland Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 752
Exp
Owners since 2017
they don't once you have registered the sim here in the UK you can use your full amount of data each month in the EU
I used ours in Spain , France , Belguim and Germany on a recent trip and used up 87gb of my monthly allowance watching tv
Thanks for the info.

Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
Popit require you to use some UK data before you can cancel.
RWG £20 200 GB valid 1 month at a time. Been using for 70 days in France worked everywhere

Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
RWG £20 200 GB valid 1 month at a time. Been using for 70 days in France worked everywhere
I activated mine in the uk 5 days before i left home and used a few mb surfing
switched it of and back on in spain , worked faultlessly with my Huawei e5785
no changing of APN settings

Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Few years now
Used a few GB with my Popit sim before i left UK. Showing as none compliant for roaming though. Will have ti try and cancel rather than parking up for a few months.

Sep 17, 2020
Totton
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 745
Exp
Since Sept 2020.
I'm using RGW - three weeks in, streaming most nights, still plenty left of the 200Gb for £20. Used it without issue in France, Luxembourg, Switzerland, Germany and back in France again. They say only tether one unit at a time, but we've accidentally had two or three devices on without issue.

When we're home I'm probably going to drop my phone's Voda contract down to the cheapest one I can get with about 20GB on and carry on tethering to the spare phone.

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I know people have had problems with the RWG sims , mainly the data only ones but I’m on a small village Aire at the moment using my RWG mobile sim in a router and getting 50+ mbps , can’t complain at that.

Apr 7, 2019
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e line
Exp
sorry to hijack this thread but sort of relevant, we are visiting germany in Sept, the romantic road area, bits i have read mention Deutsche telecom as the best in this area, is it easy enough to buy a prepaid sim in Germany ?( we have not visited here before) will be installing in the Huwawei motorhome wifi router.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
sorry to hijack this thread but sort of relevant, we are visiting germany in Sept, the romantic road area, bits i have read mention Deutsche telecom as the best in this area, is it easy enough to buy a prepaid sim in Germany ?( we have not visited here before) will be installing in the Huwawei motorhome wifi router.
In the past when I have enquired locally, I have found the costs to be a good bit dearer than those of the equivalent UK provider.

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Wait until nearer the time and get a Lebara sim, they do loads of deals really cheap - we've currently got a 15gb phone sim with full EU roaming for £1.90 a month for 6 months (only 30 day sim so cancel anytime). They've also got another one on offer at 99p for 15gb with EU roaming for 3 months. They do deals like this all the time - just look at this when you want one or ask on here:

Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
I keep banging the same drum in the hope people hear… data sims and phone sims used for data aren’t the same thing.

Using a phone sim for high volume data for streaming etc when in the EU is a pain in the ass. The networks will throttle the hell out of your service as an in roamer.

With a data sim, the reciprocal roaming agreements mean you are treated like one of the host network’s subscribers and are apportioned a fair share of the network resources, so contention issues aside, you get a good service with virtually no arbitrary throttling etc.

My advice is to get a data sim from Tiekom.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I keep banging the same drum in the hope people hear… data sims and phone sims used for data aren’t the same thing.

Using a phone sim for high volume data for streaming etc when in the EU is a pain in the ass. The networks will throttle the hell out of your service as an in roamer.

With a data sim, the reciprocal roaming agreements mean you are treated like one of the host network’s subscribers and are apportioned a fair share of the network resources, so contention issues aside, you get a good service with virtually no arbitrary throttling etc.

My advice is to get a data sim from Tiekom.
That's fine if you need 150gb of data and want to stream etc as it's €29,90 a month, if not then it's expensive.

It comes down to what you want to use it for, it just the usual browsing, emailing etc then a standard phone sim will work fine and you can't beat 99p for 15gb of data (free calls & texts too) at the moment!!!

Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
That's fine if you need 150gb of data and want to stream etc as it's €29,90 a month, if not then it's expensive.

It comes down to what you want to use it for, it just the usual browsing, emailing etc then a standard phone sim will work fine and you can't beat 99p for 15gb of data (free calls & texts too) at the moment!!!

The OP was asking for a data SIM…🤷‍♂️

if you’re just using it to browse MHF and a few emails, then you’re correct, a shaped and restricted service doesn’t matter. ✔️

Many Funsters are looking to consume higher bandwidth services when away and mobile phone data plans seem to be disappointing many; for the reasons I’ve mentioned above! 👆

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
The OP was asking for a data SIM…🤷‍♂️
The original OP was asking in September 2023 so I suspect has been sorted by now. :LOL:

The recent request by wanderlust doesn't specifically say that a 'pure' data sim is needed even though it's on this thread, many people don't realise you can use most phone sims in mifis for data (once set-up in a phone as it's easier) at much less cost.

if you’re just using it to browse MHF and a few emails, then you’re correct, a shaped and restricted service doesn’t matter. ✔️
Yup ... I like triangles although stars do appeal too! :giggle:

Many Funsters are looking to consume higher bandwidth services when away and mobile phone data plans seem to be disappointing many; for the reasons I’ve mentioned above! 👆
I know that but if they start another thread purely about that fair enough but as wanderlust has just jumped on this thread I thought I'd mention the other option.

Jul 26, 2018
Funster No
We used Tiekom til they changed their roaming policy. Used RWG data sim last time. 200GB for £18 a month. Stop and start when you want. We had no probs for download speeds etc. We needed a VPN with Tiekom for watching iPlayer etc but don’t with RWG. Only issue was when we cancelled we had lots of problems trying to stop them taking payments……having said that I think we will go with RWG data sim next time we go to France.

Jun 6, 2012
Leeds
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
I’m currently in Portugal and using the RWG data sim with no problems at all streaming all UK tv channels with no buffering 👍

Jul 12, 2022
Funster No
MH
On Order.Carado V337
In Portugal @ mo and bought an Unlimited data 30 day sim @ 35 euros...... (Both MEO and Vodaphone) a tad over a £1 per day ..( UK smarty at £20 for same unlimited deal ) and god is it fast ...yes more expensive but we are paying virtually nothing for parking/ overnight stopovers so am not complaining ...

Jul 12, 2022
Funster No
MH
On Order.Carado V337
I’m currently in Portugal and using the RWG data sim with no problems at all streaming all UK tv channels with no buffering 👍
Where ???

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back