Dare I ask a toilet question? (2 Viewers)

M-J

Jan 15, 2019
Cambridgeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 986F
Exp
Getting there!
Recommendations for which chemicals to use, previously used aqua kem blue pods but wondered if there’s a better alternative as I am starting fresh with a new cassette.

Has any used the new green aqua kem powerpods?

hja

May 8, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit Prim
Exp
Since 2019
We use aqua kem green pods and have done for years, the older sort in little sachets and now the newer one. Always work for us. They are more expensive than the liquid but I think that is outweighed by convenience. We have a panel van so all storage is crucial and I don’t want to have to either have bottles in the garage and need to open back doors in the rain, or risk spillages in the van. The pods can be stuffed in a corner with cleaning stuff etc.

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
Thank you, I’ve been told washing machine pods before but am sceptical, do they break down the waste and paper as well as thetford chemicals?
Yes they do.... if not better.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Bleach 👌 used it for years. Poo will quickly reabsorb water as it only gets dehydrated in your rectum anyway.

Toilet paper always breaks down in water too, never noticed it not to 🤔

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Bleach not good for septic tanks and so many sites are in remote areas where these are used. Usually used thetford green but just about to change over to Solbio safe for all toilet types, I never use the amount stated as it usually gets emptied daily.
Have tried the aldi bio but never had any success with it. Ok for clothes washing though

Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
We use aqua kem green pods and have done for years, the older sort in little sachets and now the newer one. Always work for us. They are more expensive than the liquid but I think that is outweighed by convenience. We have a panel van so all storage is crucial and I don’t want to have to either have bottles in the garage and need to open back doors in the rain, or risk spillages in the van. The pods can be stuffed in a corner with cleaning stuff etc.
Could you not have some treatment in each location, it doesn't rain every day, usually.
Mike.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Personally, I just use water. It works fine.
But if you must use an additive, make sure that it states "septic tank safe".
I'd also choose something made for the job to avoid incidental damage.
After that, it's personal preference - some people hate what others swear by.

Jul 24, 2009
Summer in UK, then NZ
Funster No
MH
Cabover
Exp
Since 2002
Thank you, I’ve been told washing machine pods before but am sceptical, do they break down the waste and paper as well as thetford chemicals?
This probably isn't the answer you are looking for, but ... as in many foreign lands, we do not put paper in the cassette.
A lined small bin, emptied daily, is a much better idea. The cassette will be much easier to empty and laundry capsules smell better than the blue stuff, and we get an extra day. Ours is a large cassette.
We call our bin a Vladimir.

May 23, 2023
Funster No
MH
Wildax Europa
We’ve been using Elsan Organic fluid for the last couple of years. Seems to work well and smells pleasant. It says it’s safe for septic tanks etc. on our PVC I was very happy when I discovered the bottle fits perfectly in the space between the cassette and the door.

Aug 11, 2023
Ely, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria 640 Twin
Exp
Since 2015
This probably isn't the answer you are looking for, but ... as in many foreign lands, we do not put paper in the cassette.
A lined small bin, emptied daily, is a much better idea. The cassette will be much easier to empty and laundry capsules smell better than the blue stuff, and we get an extra day. Ours is a large cassette.
We call our bin a Vladimir.
Haha good choice of name for your bin. I agree 100% with your comment of not putting paper into the cassette. We use nappy bags😁.

Feb 29, 2020
Fordingbridge
Funster No
MH
Terry mabbatt
Exp
Auto trail savannah
Recommendations for which chemicals to use, previously used aqua kem blue pods but wondered if there’s a better alternative as I am starting fresh with a new cassette.

Has any used the new green aqua kem powerpods?
We find them ok 👌 👍

• Informative
Reactions: M-J

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Anticipation Popcorn GIF

Mar 30, 2011
Funster No
Haha good choice of name for your bin. I agree 100% with your comment of not putting paper into the cassette. We use nappy bags😁.
Doesn't that depend on the toilet paper? There is some designed for cassette toilets as opposed to normal loo paper. Our experience is it easily breaks down with the additive we use (I can't recall the name at the moment) but it is septic tank appropriate. Never had smells, never been a problem and my dear husband does the emptying!!!!

Aug 18, 2018
Funster No
Solbio works well. Quickly eliminates smells rather than obscuring them, which seems to be what the chemical products did when I used them.

x17ken

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 11, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo
Exp
Since 2015
I've encouraged the occupants of my van to consider putting used paper into earth-rated doggy poo bags to minimise cassette clog and improve my daily experience of camping chores. Most are now complying. I've explained the situation to the dogs and they are OK with the policy providing the contents of the bags are non-attributable. :whistle:

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
I have seen this as often as people raving about how good it is 🙃

Maybe I’ll just switch to green for now
Try surf liquid other brands are available :unsure:

Reactions: M-J
Sep 14, 2022
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Solbio is brilliant - really deals with smells even in hot weather left for a long to. E! Never going back to chemicals.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back