Credit cards in Germany (1 Viewer)

Mar 24, 2019
Leeds
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
5 years
Been really surprised at how reluctant most bars and restaurants are to take cards, either debit or credit. I’ve had €20 minimum and others flatly refusing cards even on a €50 bill. I’d have expected Germany to be fully cashless as I’ve found Spain and France to be over the last 3 months but absolutely not. Anyone know why? Obviously it’s charge related but it’s not because we’re British, a bar owner just told us most businesses only take German EC cards due to problems getting paid. Why do Germany have problems when no one else does?

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
This was raised in the "supermarket cashback" thread.
Lots said they never needed cash when away so why would they need cashback ?
They obviously never went to Germany, as I found similar to you when I was there in 2019
In answer to your question, I've no idea what the problem is

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
They prefer cash.
Geld stinkt nicht according to Google.

OP
OP
Dwarfland
Mar 24, 2019
Leeds
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
5 years
This was raised in the "supermarket cashback" thread.
Lots said they never needed cash when away so why would they need cashback ?
They obviously never went to Germany, as I found similar to you when I was there in 2019
In answer to your question, I've no idea what the problem is
Pre Covid I’d say most countries (except Scandinavia) were the same. Now I’d say cards are generally the norm, especially in cities. Germany is like going back to 2015! I have a Revolut card which is a Euro debit card, so not even a credit card. Surprised how many refuse cards of any kind.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
Loosely related.
A global company I used to work for was going to remove fuel cards and force everyone on to company credit card......... Until the German workers Union said No! You can't force a worker to go into "debt". No other nation I know if objected.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back