Continental LPG auto change over regulator with OPSO (1 Viewer)

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
Any knowledgeable folk with this type or regulator, this morning the boiler stoped working as no gas. It’s a house installation outside with 4 bottles and two Tee’s w20 the regulator. Each Tee has two bottles. Last night we had a spell of cold (-15-18) not sure if is the cause, woke up and discovered there is plenty of gas and did try to purge. The Tee has gas but nothing coming out at the outlet. The outlet is connected to a 15mm copper pipe that services the boiler only. Had no issues with this set up in the last 7-8 years, and did had lower temperatures in the past.
Basildog ? Or anyone that may know about this issue?
At the moment, I rigged a temporary set up with a spare single bottle regulator feeding the boiler. This spare it’s 1.5kg/h and the faulty one is a 4,5kg, giving me the full power of a 28kw combi boiler.
Thank you in advance

This is the kit I have,

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022
Has the OPSO safety valve triggered. It’s under the clear plastic cover at the top of the regulator and is normally reset by pulling it upwards.

OP
OP
Raul
Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
Has the OPSO safety valve triggered. It’s under the clear plastic cover at the top of the regulator and is normally reset by pulling it upwards.

I didn’t know what position it suppose to be, it looks kind of midd way. I haven’t messed with it and as far as I know, it never been triggered, but I will try to pull it up.

Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
If it’s been mega cold it’s possible the regulator has frozen if in an exposed location. Maybe try warming it with a hairdryer or kettle of hot(ish) water?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Raul
Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
If it’s been mega cold it’s possible the regulator has frozen if in an exposed location. Maybe try warming it with a hairdryer or kettle of hot(ish) water?
I have tried with a heat gun on mild setting, even disconnected the regulator and brought it indoors. The regulator and bottles are housed in a enclosure outside. We had bellow 20’s in the past and no issues. All I can think of its the oil in lpg may have gummed it up. I was wondering if there is a way to open it up and clean it. Maybe it’s not serviceable, I don’t know.

OP
OP
Raul
Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
Thought I update on this,
Left the regulator indoors for over 24hrs, and pulled on the opso plunger. It pulled right up and made a noise sort of a valve unstuck. My thinking is the cold and oily lpg got the opso stuck shut.
Fitted the regulator back on, and all works as it should like before.
I’m gonna fit a filter in the near future, despite the regulator being higher than the bottles. I guess the oil deposits can mess up things in cold weathers.

Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Rather than oily deposits it may have been some condensation in the body freezing being the cause of the OPSO operating, and then itself freezing in the closed position? Either way, good that it’s sorted. (y)

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
How about some " self limiting heater tape" ? We used to use this on refrigeration deep freeze drain lines. Not expensive & easy to use. Pare sheath back & expose the two wires & connect to L&N . other end some heat shrink . Plug in.
Below just for info . just google the above. for more & local

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/30522873...pid=5339023013&customid=&toolid=10001&mkevt=1

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Raul
Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
How about some " self limiting heater tape" ? We used to use this on refrigeration deep freeze drain lines. Not expensive & easy to use. Pare sheath back & expose the two wires & connect to L&N . other end some heat shrink . Plug in.
Below just for info . just google the above. for more & local

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/30522873...pid=5339023013&customid=&toolid=10001&mkevt=1
Thats a good idea, thank you Richard.
I have used my motorbike tyre warmers in the past. This time caught me out, it was a very cold -18,19 at least that night.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back