Consort motorhomes "Lifes too short" (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Aug 29, 2018
County Durham, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer Free 600
Exp
Only a year
Just wondering as I know if you get a conversion on an existing panel van then it goes to van with windows and it is so hard to get the DVLA to accept anything else

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
Just wondering as I know if you get a conversion on an existing panel van then it goes to van with windows and it is so hard to get the DVLA to accept anything else
A conversion request from a manufacturer listed as a bonafide conver business isn’t going to have problems with DVLA. The product is there on the internet for all to see that it isn’t a part time parcel van, part time camper.
I can imagine that private individual requests can sometimes be literally a camp bed and a Primus stove so they all get scrutinised.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
When Consort returned to the scene all he could get hold of were white vans, not his choice.

Nov 8, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
PVC. Consort Oslo
Exp
I might be biased now but having looked at all the pvc’s we think the Vantage Neo is the best of the lot particularly if going out for extended periods.
The Vantage Neo is a lovely van. We had decided to buy one, after 3 NEC shows and looking at dozens of motorhomes. We arranged with Vantage to go and look at a used one. Drove 3 hours up to Leeds to have a look, only to find they'd sold it already. We were not impressed, and decided to go and look at Consort nearby.

We looked at the Consort Oslo, the equivalent of the Neo, and could see it had been improved in a number of areas by Scot, over his original Neo design. By coincidence Consort were doing a Hab check on a Neo, which was parked alongside the demo Oslo. We climbed in between the two for a while, and placed an order for the Oslo in the end. A silver one. A new one at the time wasn't much more than the used Neo we wanted.

I guess Vantage have probably moved the Neo design on as well now

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

CAB96

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 31, 2021
Stockport, UK
Funster No
MH
T6 Leisuredrive
Exp
4+
Reading this after the thread regarding the DVLA and ‘vans with windows’.
What happens when you buy a PVC from Consort that is based on a new panel van.
Is it a motor caravan or the dreaded van with windows?
What's dreaded about it?

The insurers are all up to speed, as far as I know, and it doesn't affect speed limits.

It is simply the "appearance in traffic."

I had heard in the past of sites refusing anything that wasn't listed as a motor caravan (although how did they check? I can't find that information online). But surely there can't be any left that do that?

Aug 29, 2018
County Durham, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer Free 600
Exp
Only a year
What's dreaded about it?

The insurers are all up to speed, as far as I know, and it doesn't affect speed limits.

It is simply the "appearance in traffic."

I had heard in the past of sites refusing anything that wasn't listed as a motor caravan (although how did they check? I can't find that information online). But surely there can't be any left that do that?
Actually it does affect speed limits.
A van with windows has 50 mph on national roads, 60 mph on dual carriageways. While motor caravans 3500kg and under have same limits as cars.
I know as we had a VW T6 conversion and that was a van with windows and no way would DVLA accept anything else.

CAB96

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 31, 2021
Stockport, UK
Funster No
MH
T6 Leisuredrive
Exp
4+
Actually it does affect speed limits.
A van with windows has 50 mph on national roads, 60 mph on dual carriageways. While motor caravans 3500kg and under have same limits as cars.
I know as we had a VW T6 conversion and that was a van with windows and no way would DVLA accept anything else.
Did you get prosecuted?

Doesn't matter what the V5 says, a motor caravan is defined by it's internal features, not what the DVLA record it as. If it meets the definition, it's a motor caravan.

The police and automatic cameras use the DVLA database as that is all there is, but passenger vehicle speed limits apply to any motor caravan with unladen weight of 3.05t or less.

Any speeding ticket can be appealed, if you were over the LGV limit but under the passenger vehicle limit.

Aug 29, 2018
County Durham, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer Free 600
Exp
Only a year
Not if it is being 'used' as a motorcaravan.
Yes, however you have to go through the pain of proving that you are indeed a motor caravan to get the speed offence removed.
There is a great deal of talk about it on VW forums. So in the end it is easier to just drive slower.
As said most times you are picked off by cameras so no one to speak to and then the first you know is when a letter arrives.
Anyway I have a motor caravan now so no worries 😉

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Yes, however you have to go through the pain of proving that you are indeed a motor caravan to get the speed offence removed.

But you said a van with windows was restricted, it is not. Though if the thread at the bottom of this article I wrote is anything to go by then plenty are still confused about this anomally

Feb 18, 2024
Funster No
MH
Vantage Max
We compared the equivalent Vantage to the Consort van we bought. The Vantage was top our list until we saw the Consort. Scot improved and modernised the design in a number of areas, and what sealed the deal when we bought two years ago was the fact the Consort was much cheaper too.
Hi Graeme,
I'm down the road from you in Bournemouth........we are very keen on the Consorts (thinking of upgrading from our VW T6) but not seen them in the flesh and Leeds is a long way! Could I be cheeky (really cheeky!) and ask if we could have a quick look at yours sometime? Would really appreciate it........Janet

Nov 8, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
PVC. Consort Oslo
Exp
Hi Graeme,
I'm down the road from you in Bournemouth........we are very keen on the Consorts (thinking of upgrading from our VW T6) but not seen them in the flesh and Leeds is a long way! Could I be cheeky (really cheeky!) and ask if we could have a quick look at yours sometime? Would really appreciate it........Janet
Hi Janet, apologies for late reply. Ive sent you a message

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
There is a great deal of talk about it on VW forums. So in the end it is easier to just drive slower.
As said most times you are picked off by cameras so no one to speak to and then the first you know is when a letter arrives.
Anyway I have a motor caravan now so no worries 😉
I am not sure if you are still interested in this business about what do PVCs get registered as on the V5. We have just put a deposit down on a new Consort Oslo and our Guarantee says it will be registered with the DVLA as “body type Panel Van” on the V5C. Obviously this is specific to Consort.

Jan 9, 2024
Norwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Consort Oslo coming
Exp
We are expecting our first campervan in July 2024. This will be our first so we’re new!
I am not sure if you are still interested in this business about what do PVCs get registered as on the V5. We have just put a deposit down on a new Consort Oslo and our Guarantee says it will be registered with the DVLA as “body type Panel Van” on the V5C. Obviously this is specific to Consort.
carolyn Congrats on your order!

We’re expecting to pick up our Oslo in 4-6 weeks… the base van is with them and we’re waiting on a definite pick up date from Scot and Jane.

We can’t wait after ordering almost 2 years ago 😳

What engine spec. / options did you go for?

Jan 11, 2011
Peterborough
Funster No
MH
Consort Reef 2
Exp
since 1990
Have a look at the DVLA website as what you need to do to register as a motorhome.Take lots of pictures of your van, I also included a picture of the Consort brochure front cover printed off the photos and filled in the appropriate panel on the V5 posted to Swansea new V5 received back within a fortnight as a Motorhome.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Didn't Scott used to own Vantage motorhomes?! has it been renamed Consort. Just interested.
Apparently? he sold Vantage and as usual in business dealings, he kept out of the market for 5 yrs? then the lure of being a masochist and building vans took over and he started up Consort.
I relay this message second hand as I accompanied two Funsters to Leeds to Vantage to look over their now van.
If Consort are up there with Vantage then they're alright.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Have a look at the DVLA website as what you need to do to register as a motorhome.Take lots of pictures of your van, I also included a picture of the Consort brochure front cover printed off the photos and filled in the appropriate panel on the V5 posted to Swansea new V5 received back within a fortnight as a Motorhome.
Scot told us what we’d have to do if we want but I doubt we’ll bother. Thanks though. We are very lazy!

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Apparently? he sold Vantage and as usual in business dealings, he kept out of the market for 5 yrs? then the lure of being a masochist and building vans took over and he started up Consort.
I relay this message second hand as I accompanied two Funsters to Leeds to Vantage to look over their now van.
It was only 2 or 3 years whilst Scot and Jane went travelling.

Oct 27, 2022
Funster No
MH
Consort PVC
We’re expecting to pick up our Oslo in 4-6 weeks… the base van is with them and we’re waiting on a definite pick up date from Scot and Jane.
Congratulations!
I take it you went for the automatic given the 2 year wait ?

Are you extending the Fiat 2 year base vehicle warranty ?

Oct 27, 2022
Funster No
MH
Consort PVC
It's all on the Consort website -> https://consortmotorhomes.co.uk/our-story/

2016: Sold vantage
2016 - 2019: Travelling in van
2019: Started Consort

Jan 9, 2024
Norwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Consort Oslo coming
Exp
We are expecting our first campervan in July 2024. This will be our first so we’re new!
Congratulations!
I take it you went for the automatic given the 2 year wait ?

Are you extending the Fiat 2 year base vehicle warranty ?
Yep, we went for the automatic and associated wait 😟

We probably will extend the warranty but will tackle that when we get the van recognising that we only have 2 weeks to do it apparently.

Did you go for a manual?

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
carolyn Congrats on your order!

We can’t wait after ordering almost 2 years ago 😳

What engine spec. / options did you go for?
That’s exciting. We couldn’t bear the thought of ordering and waiting that long! We have timed it just right. We’ve been watching the website for ages and suddenly noticed it had changed with Autos in stock for summer delivery! I was emailing like a shot! We had the last 6.4 metre .

We’ve got the new 9 speed Auto 180. We’re having a diesel heater, extra solar, remis cab blinds, leather and a few other goodies. Oh and the smaller fridge.

It’s all happening rather quickly!

What about you?

Oct 27, 2022
Funster No
MH
Consort PVC
Yep, we went for the automatic and associated wait 😟

We probably will extend the warranty but will tackle that when we get the van recognising that we only have 2 weeks to do it apparently.

Did you go for a manual?

We have an automatic Reef, we waited about 15 months from order to collection (in Jan 24).

Regarding extended warranty, Consort can do that for you and that's what we did. Otherwise you have 14 days from date of first registration (not collection date!) to sort it.

Oct 27, 2022
Funster No
MH
Consort PVC
We’ve got the new 9 speed Auto 180. We’re having a diesel heater, extra solar, remis cab blinds, leather and a few other goodies. Oh and the smaller fridge
We went for diesel heater, remis blinds, fly screen. Didn't bother with leather or the ceramic paint protection. Will look to add extra solar when we take it for a habitation check.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
We have an automatic Reef, we waited about 15 months from order to collection (in Jan 24).

Regarding extended warranty, Consort can do that for you and that's what we did. Otherwise you have 14 days from date of first registration (not collection date!) to sort it.
That’s what Jane told us which makes life so much easier as we’re probably going to be collecting ours not long before our daughter’s wedding. We’re not completely insane, it’s a very tiny wedding, only 12 of us ! If it was a big shindig we might forget.

Jan 9, 2024
Norwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Consort Oslo coming
Exp
That’s exciting. We couldn’t bear the thought of ordering and waiting that long! We have timed it just right. We’ve been watching the website for ages and suddenly noticed it had changed with Autos in stock for summer delivery! I was emailing like a shot! We had the last 6.4 metre .

We’ve got the new 9 speed Auto 180. We’re having a diesel heater, extra solar, remis cab blinds, leather and a few other goodies. Oh and the smaller fridge.

It’s all happening rather quickly!

What about you?
We ticked pretty much all of the options except the diesel heater as I don’t think we’ll be using it too much in cold weather!

We went with the larger fridge as we consider wine to be more important than clothes 😂🤣

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
We ticked pretty much all of the options except the diesel heater as I don’t think we’ll be using it too much in cold weather!

We went with the larger fridge as we consider wine to be more important than clothes 😂🤣
We really dithered about the fridge as it was appealing but decided we’ve always been fine . Enough room for Nick’s cider. His red wine doesn’t need chilling!

We really liked the diesel option as we’re often away in the cold but certainly wouldn’t have bothered in your shoes. I suppose we’re future proofing a bit if LPG carries on getting harder to come by. It’s a pain near us now if Podimore is out of order.

You must be desperate for the phone call now.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back