Compressor fridge fitting (1 Viewer)

Sep 26, 2015
Essex
Funster No
MH
Peugeot autoquest185
Exp
Hi everyone.
I need some advise please. We have a Elddis 185 autoquest motorhome. And the fridge isn’t working properly when on gas it keeps going out. It’s been ok over the last 4 years but I think it’s time to change it for a compressor fridge which I’m told is the best way to go. The fridge I have is a dometic I’m happy to buy a dometic compressor fridge like for like. Was trying to find someone to fit it but everyone is busy. I need to know where to buy a fridge and how to fit it please. I think I’ve worked out how to get the old fridge out? I take it there are 2 screws each side of the fridge when the door is open ?. It can’t be that difficult can it as the new fridge only needs a 12 v feed?. This is the fridge I have.I don’t want to bugger things up before I start. Thanks everyone.
IMG_3987.jpeg

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016
Lots of places to buy fridges just Google but Jackson leisure and Leisureshopdirect come to mind.

Secondly how much battery do you have, ideally you need a good lithium set up as compressor fridges only run off 12v.

Upvote 0

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
I would second that re batteries, we have a compressor fridge and originally had 2 x 95Ah agm batteries, couldn't go more than 2 nights off grid. Now have 2x 110Ah lithium + solar and no worries(y)

Upvote 0
Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
A compressor fridge will average about 30ah consumption per day.
The fitting is dead easy, a 4mm2 cable to supply the power and a fuse.

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I think you'll also need to run a new 12v supply to the fridge.
Neither of the existing supplies will be suitable.
One is from the alternator and the other will be low amp for control panel and ignition.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Mar 30, 2022
Banbury, Oxfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A white and grey one
Exp
Tugging since I could drive, now joining the dark side 😁😉
if removing the traditional 3 way fridge, you also need to consider how you're going to "cap-off" the existing gas supply.

There could be a permanent 12v supply already there, just a question of whether it can deliver enough amps.

Upvote 0
Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Do you not fancy having a go at fixing the problem on your gas fridge ? A £70 replacement burner seems a more pocket friendly answer than a £700 compressor fridge installation ?

Upvote 0
Sep 19, 2019
Warwick, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-t
Have a look at other brands and not just Dometic. For example, I found that Thetford had a compressor fridge exactly the same size as my old Dometic absorption fridge. Dometic didn’t have an exact size replacement.

Dometic tend to be the most expensive and I have no idea why. Their performance doesn’t seem to justify it.

Upvote 0
Dec 17, 2016
Malvern
Funster No
MH
Hymer B525 2006 A cl
Exp
if removing the traditional 3 way fridge, you also need to consider how you're going to "cap-off" the existing gas supply.

There could be a permanent 12v supply already there, just a question of whether it can deliver enough amps.
Yes, don't forget to cap the gas!
I think generally European motorhomes (certainly one's with an Electroblock) will have a potential permanent 12v supply but British ones less likely.

Upvote 0

TCG

Jul 6, 2017
Salford Priors
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
We had our large 8555 fridge freezer replaced last February.. I was very concerned as the fridge would not fit through the hab door … I contacted dometic workshop in Tewkesbury who sold me the 10.5 compressor fridge freezer at the same price that I could source from other dealers and they only charged me £300 for fitting, this included all the wiring and fuses.
The fridge had to be taken out and in via the passenger cab door. They did an excellent job

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
Sep 26, 2015
Essex
Funster No
MH
Peugeot autoquest185
Exp
Lots of places to buy fridges just Google but Jackson leisure and Leisureshopdirect come to mind.

Secondly how much battery do you have, ideally you need a good lithium's set up as compressor fridges only run off 12v.
Hi Michael
Thanks
I have lots of power. Two lithium batteries. And 300w of solar panels. Had it all done at Oaktree motorhome Nottingham last year.
So I think that should be ok?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
Sep 26, 2015
Essex
Funster No
MH
Peugeot autoquest185
Exp
We had our large 8555 fridge freezer replaced last February.. I was very concerned as the fridge would not fit through the hab door … I contacted dometic workshop in Tewkesbury who sold me the 10.5 compressor fridge freezer at the same price that I could source from other dealers and they only charged me £300 for fitting, this included all the wiring and fuses.
The fridge had to be taken out and in via the passenger cab door. They did an excellent job
Hi
After reading the replies. I think I would prefer someone to the job. Tewkesbury Is a bit of a distance but a good excuse for a trip out. Both retired so nothing else to do. I live in Braintree Essex.
Thanks for the help

Upvote 0
Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Hi everyone.
I need some advise please. We have a Elddis 185 autoquest motorhome. And the fridge isn’t working properly when on gas it keeps going out. It’s been ok over the last 4 years but I think it’s time to change it for a compressor fridge which I’m told is the best way to go. The fridge I have is a dometic I’m happy to buy a dometic compressor fridge like for like. Was trying to find someone to fit it but everyone is busy. I need to know where to buy a fridge and how to fit it please. I think I’ve worked out how to get the old fridge out? I take it there are 2 screws each side of the fridge when the door is open ?. It can’t be that difficult can it as the new fridge only needs a 12 v feed?. This is the fridge I have.I don’t want to bugger things up before I start. Thanks everyone. View attachment 890116
I think that's the same model as mine, I converted it to a compressor fridge in 2022.
There is a thick 12v cable running to the fuse box but it's only powered up with the engine running so I connected it straight to the leisure battery via a fuse and used that for the power supply. All the other wires aren't used.
There is a thread on the conversion if you fancy having a go, it's not difficult at all 😏
Before and after 👌
20220608_104227.jpg

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I think that's the same model as mine, I converted it to a compressor fridge in 2022.
There is a thick 12v cable running to the fuse box but it's only powered up with the engine running so I connected it straight to the leisure battery via a fuse and used that for the power supply. All the other wires aren't used.
There is a thread on the conversion if you fancy having a go, it's not difficult at all 😏
Before and after 👌
View attachment 890175
I remember reading about your conversation at the time and being quite impressed.
Do you have a link to the thread please ?

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
More information on our compressor fridge ..

Make : Virtifigo .. Italian Brand ..
Jacksons Leisure sell them .. our's is now 20 years old and still working like new..

Power 38.5w
Input Current 3.2
Voltage 12 - 24 vDC

Power used in ah will depend on ambient temperature, how often door opened and closed plus some other factors, and ofcourse the size of the fridge .. ours is a small under worktop 60L model.

ambient 21c .. and 20% run time .. 24hrs x 3.2A dived by 1/5 = 15.5ah
ambient 32c .. and 25% run time .. 24hrs x 3.2 divided by 1/4 = 19.0 ah

these are ball park figures and make assumptions .. but as I said in last post ours runs on just two 90ah FLA batteries and 180 w solar.

whatever fridge you decide on, look at the power used and do some calculations.

this site has some good info

IMG_1856.jpeg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
Sep 26, 2015
Essex
Funster No
MH
Peugeot autoquest185
Exp
I remember reading about your conversation at the time and being quite impressed.
Hi Richard & Ann
Thanks for the reply. What compressor fridge did you buy and where from please.
It looks straight forward.
I’m sure I can do it. How easy was it to get the old fridge out. Is it the 4 screws each side of inside fridge and it just slides out ?

Upvote 0
Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014

Upvote 0
Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Hi Richard & Ann
Thanks for the reply. What compressor fridge did you buy and where from please.
It looks straight forward.
I’m sure I can do it. How easy was it to get the old fridge out. Is it the 4 screws each side of inside fridge and it just slides out ?
Yes 4 screws but you need a couple of small adjustable spanners to undo the gas pipe at the back first. I've posted the forum link above that has got a link to the compressor kit in it.

Upvote 0
Jan 6, 2024
Cheshire, UK
Funster No
MH
AS Warwick XL MQ
Exp
Since 1986
Hayesdec - my new van came with a Dometic compressor fridge, and I'm not impressed. I believe the Thetford is better, and you are right to perhaps look at other makes.

You might want to look at this recent thread:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back